United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Please list any recent wargames (stand-alone games or scenarios) you have COMPLETED since your post in the previous thread. And please continue to add more wargames as you complete them.

Find time to give thanks for every gaming opportunity you get!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wade
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished a game of The Lamps Are Going Out today. A win for the Triple Entente in early 1917 as the British and Allies broke through on the Somme and into the German heartland. General Haig would be pleased!

Brilliant game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
How long was the game ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone Newby
Canada
Tupperville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Completed another Commanders Campaign(Norvell G Ward) in Silent Victory: U.S. Submarines in the Pacific, 1941-45 ;this will be an on going task to complete most U.S sub Commanders Campaigns(I printed out most all commanders photo pics and U.S sub Logos to put beside my sub mat as I play their campaigns). As of to date I've completed 12 commanders campaigns( I compare how many ships I sunk and tonnage to their historical sinkings and tonnage).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hattusilis_III wrote:
Just finished a game of The Lamps Are Going Out today. A win for the Triple Entente in early 1917 as the British and Allies broke through on the Somme and into the German heartland. General Haig would be pleased!

Brilliant game!

Cool!

Why would you say that the Allies broke into Germany in early 1917? Did the German player made any glaring mistakes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Parker
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Three greatest chess players ever: Bobby Fischer, Mikhail Tal, and Victor Korchnoi.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished four plays of:

Great game on Operation Mercury. I love the tension and how the game depicts the options of both sides. Best I have done so far is a draw but then that's what the Germans did too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
catosulla wrote:

Great game on Operation Mercury. I love the tension and how the game depicts the options of both sides. Best I have done so far is a draw but then that's what the Germans did too.

Very curious about that game, looking forward to more details!

I finished my first playthrough of this:

Did not manage to clear the island in time, but could start to see how to adapt my strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Johannsen

Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After a couple of restarts (after realizing that I was misinterpreting the rules), I finished the first scenario of
. I think that I like the GCACW system, so am looking forward to playing through more of the scenarios (last night I punched the counters that I'll need for the second [much larger] scenario.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Johannsen

Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
I finished my first playthrough of this:

I tried this game once and it just didn't click for me. I just felt like this scale just doesn't work for these Pacific battles (too small a scale for tactical maneuver) and not like Pacific War where you have strategic maneuver. In short, for me, this just felt like "do the obvious thing and hope that the rolls go your way." Maybe I need to try this again...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Parker
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Three greatest chess players ever: Bobby Fischer, Mikhail Tal, and Victor Korchnoi.
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
catosulla wrote:

Very curious about that game, looking forward to more details!

I have posted my review of the game: Finally a Game That Captures the Essence of the Campaign!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Blank
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Finally got around to punching and sorting my new Yanks counterset into the ASL kit (removing old counters, duplicates, etc.) and decided to take the new counters for a spin.

Played scenario 11 Defiance on Hill 30, a paratrooper scenario included in the new set that I didn't have before.

The Americans have a small group defending a cluster of 4 buildings that the German forces must take, but partway through the Americans get some reinforcements.

The Americans set up the big machine gun and mortar on the ridge. The machine gun gave good service, but the mortar malfunctioned on the second shot, and then was eliminated on a repair attempt.

The Germans seemed to be in good shape, they had little to fear of the open ground with only one defending machine gun in sight, and the trees were no longer a hazard without air-bursts to contend with.

They had taken two of the 4 buildings and American defense was crumbling, but then the U.S. machine gun on the ridge went on a rate of fire tear, breaking 2 of the 3 large German groups, and breaking part of the third, before being silenced for good by German mortar fire.

The last of the attacking Germans were also broken by further fire, right as the American reinforcements arrived in the battle zone. These were then able to move up with impunity, surrounding the broken Germans and eliminating nearly all of them.

Germans concede with still 3 turns to go as the now large group of American defenders cannot be dislodged by the remaining German remnants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge

We played all three scenarios, and I played as the Germans for all of them. I won the first two (the second one was a complete blow-out, with my opponent resigning halfway through after a particularly devastatingly low roll of mine). The third one was looking good for me at first but he managed to make a solid advance and then wiped me out in melee.

Overall, a decent but not great set of scenarios. I'm not a huge fan of hidden units, which two of the scenarios featured (and I was the player with the hidden units).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zigi Hogan
United States
The Ozarks
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
What's it going to be then, eh?
mbmbmbmbmb

After 9 months and over 40 hours of gameplay time I got a concession out of BGG user: silentwarrior today for our campaign game. This was a tough slog for both of us but the past two turns (1300 hrs and 1400 hrs) the CSA absolutely dominated an was one activation (at most!) from punching two huge holes in the defenses he had around Gettysburg and surrounding most of his divisions (one of which was the I Corps/Iron Brigade!).

The CSA had gotten three divisions of fresh troops over two turns and the USA had received two brigades (!) of cavalry...and that's it! It is funny but the USA had created a huge bulge in the battlefield and it was NOT working in their favor. If you want to see pics of the final state of the battlefield I will be posting an AAR on the Geeklist Wargames on your table - November 2016 as soon as I get pics uploaded.

I can't believe I got to post this on the "Games Completed" thread this quickly. We estimated we wouldn't get this game completed until January or February at the soonest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wade
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent game of 1914: Glory's End / When Eagles Fight producing a win for the Russians by staving off revolution, tenaciously defending their border to prevent loss of cities. Still, the Russians are not in good shape with some major holes in their line. The CP probably should have pushed harder and taken more risks when they had the big advantage in 1915. The Brusilov offensive in 1916 went close to defeating the AH.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wade
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallet wrote:
How long was the game ?

Not too long, perhaps a few hours. Flows pretty well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wade
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
licinius wrote:
Hattusilis_III wrote:

Brilliant game!

Cool!

Why would you say that the Allies broke into Germany in early 1917? Did the German player made any glaring mistakes?

The CP probably left their western flank a little weak (but only a little) and didn't push hard enough into Russia (or Italy for that matter).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Anslow
England
Warminster
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Wings of Glory: World War 1 – Fokker Dr.I

Four player session at the local club, three missions completed, recon, dogfight and a bombing run. A poor run for the Germans as they crashed and burnt in all three missions, 'Tally Ho Biggles'

Roger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Combat Commander, Up Front, Breakout Normandy, Fields of Fire! The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb

First solo run through using the Zhukov (solitaire/co-op) rules. Pretty impressed with gameplay, rules set, despite a hard-fought loss to the Soviet forces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Spak
United States
Spencer
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two new games for me,
and

Fun, fast, small games from the 'Commando' series of DG mini games.

The game requires you to equip and stage raids on a static defender, with a shade of chrome to differentiate between theaters & campaigns.

I won all eight 'missions', but it is a much more challenging system when the using linked campaign rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:

First solo run through using the Zhukov (solitaire/co-op) rules. Pretty impressed with gameplay, rules set, despite a hard-fought loss to the Soviet forces.

While the rest of us patiently wait for our non-Essen Kickstarter copies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Selkirk
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In a very short time, we've played 4 games of Academy Games' 1775: The American Revolution. I must say, a really good and fun game.
Twice, the British were able to quickly capture (or, at least, render Colonial units from able to place units) both Rhode Island and Connecticut.
The result was the American Continentals and Patriots were forced to place reinforcements in Georgia and South Carolina, far from the main action of Boston and Philadelphia. Both games ended in British victories by a wide margin.
The two American wins were a result of initially placing units in New Hampshire and fighting the British too a standstill in Massachusetts, Connecticut and Rhode Island. The wins ending with a 5 to 3 American advantage.
The game plays in about 2 1/2 hrs., including periods of deliberation. So, in a long day, you can get 3 or 4 games in.
We thought 1812 was a good (and is) game, but 1775 offers a little more in the way it handles area ownership and command decisions. Highly recommended by us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb

Solo play of S16 - Legio Patria Nostra Germans defending against the Free French. I have been playing solo through all of the Starter Kit scenarios - finished Starter Kit 2 and moving on to Start Kit 3 now.

Germans are defending a town and need to prevent the French from getting control of 4 of the 6 multi-hex buildings. They have 1 AT gun (which kept getting ROF) and 1 20L AA (which had less success). French have multiple leaders, start with a building behind German lines and a single 60mm Mortar.

Turn 1 - The French rolled very well turn one and broke 1/2 of the German initial line of defense (which was not very robust due to a dearth of units). One outpost of defenders held out until the last turn - breaking no less than 6 French squads attempting to slink by/enter CC. Further, during CC - they rolled crazy good - killing two stacks at 1-2 odds. However, they were simply not enough. The French were able to move past and put heavy pressure on the Guns which formed the second line.

The AT gun broke, retained ROF and eliminated one stack - but by turn 3 could not change its axis enough times to hold back the wave and was overwhelmed. The AA gun had slightly more Infantry support and held out until Turn 5 before the crew had a enough and ran for the hills.

With all of this, the Germans still had a chance - all the needed to do was get into 1 of the 4 buildings the French had in the last turn. In both cases, the French were able to pin the Germans - preventing them from advancing during the Advance phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wade
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Continuing with the WWI theme I completed a game of Tannenberg in Tannenberg: Eagles in the East / Galicia: The Forgotten Cauldron, a German marginal victory. It's a long time since I last played this but the combat system is really effective and produces an attritional-style WWI outcome. You feel like you are attacking at hopeless odds because the defender is effectively tripled, but by every SP loss you inflict when attacking that essentially reduces the defensive strength by 3SP. But you need to manage your supplies and hopefully wear down your opponent's. Really interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"et son bucher se change en trone dans les cieux."
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb

Just finished my first patrol in Silent Victory: U.S. Submarines in the Pacific, 1941-45. Marshall Islands out of Pearl, bagged 10,700 tons. Great little game, paints a picture as you play.

S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Combat Commander, Up Front, Breakout Normandy, Fields of Fire! The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
and I called our game of FAB: Sicily at the end of turn 7 (of 9) with the situation looking like this:

The Allies were going to win a minor victory, and we're anxious to start again and switch sides, so we're not going to play the last two turns. Although the dogged defence of German panzergrenadiers wiped out an American armoured division and recaptured a beachhead, in the end the Axis lost too many units instead of evacuating to the mainland.

The Americans hold the west end of the island, save for a pocketed Italian group, although many of the US units are down to a single pip. The Brits are stalled at foot of Mt. Etna, but are still generally in good health.

Really like the system, although we aren't finding it particularly "Fast Action" at least not yet. But we like the asset allocation system, and the combat system provides realistic choices. Also the roads are extremely vital, more so than in many other operational games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.