21 Posts

The Colonists» Forums » Rules

Subject: Altruist special ambassador rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Annemarie Post
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night we played with the Altruist colony for the first time and we were left with some questions on the special ambassador's ability.

First, to confirm, when you have moved the Altruist to a certain place, does it give a discount for as long as the Altruist is there (instead of only for 1 turn)?

The discount that the Altruist gives, does it also count when you have to pay the fee? E.g. The Altruist is on a Grove and I have to pay the fee, can I just pay 1 tool or 1 food?

Does it also count for selling things at the market? And in that case, if the Altruist is at a place that gives 2 clay and you can sell 2 clay for 1 coin, can I get a free coin?

Last night, the Industrialist colony was also in play. Does the Altruist also give a discount on refining goods in the production phase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes to all of your questions.

Edit: except the thing with the fee - the Altruist won't help with that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
and, just to confirm, you only get to use it once per half-year. So if you use it to pay a fee, you can't also use it as a discount for market actions or refining goods or ...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Heath
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Ouch, watch where you're pointing that thing!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you can only move it once per half-year but wherever it is it will give you the discount for whatever you're doing for all of your actions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Puls
Germany
Oldenburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
slickerdrips wrote:
I think you can only move it once per half-year but wherever it is it will give you the discount for whatever you're doing for all of your actions

That is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
slickerdrips wrote:

Oops. Another mistake. Thanks! Wow! That makes him even more powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Heath
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Ouch, watch where you're pointing that thing!
mbmbmbmbmb
Colonies are definitely one of my favourite parts of the game - I haven't even seen them all yet but love the seemingly crazy powers you get and the interactions between the different Colonies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slickerdrips wrote:

Though I'm pretty sure you only get the discount once per action tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
poifpoif wrote:
slickerdrips wrote:

That is right, the rulebook gives an example that when you refine 8 wood to 4 planks at the joiner and the ambassador is at a place that gives 3 wood discount, you would pay 5 wood for the 4 planks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And one more thing: since paying the fee is not part of the action you take, do you get a discount both on the fee and the action you do immediately after that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Anny48 wrote:
And one more thing: since paying the fee is not part of the action you take, do you get a discount both on the fee and the action you do immediately after that?

Makes sense... although that means the Altruist basically eliminates the resource part of the fee if people are careful with initial tile placement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anny48 wrote:

I'd like to know the answer too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Having the Altruist count towards the fee was never intended. Honestly, it's an oversight on our part that we haven't addressed in the rules. I've talked with Tim about this. I'd like to revise my statement above: yes to all questions but the fee. The Altruist does not affect the fee.

Reason: the fee is only considered an action with regard to the storing rules. The Altruist shall only affect actual actions (like place actions, or bonus actions via other colonies).

Edit: Plus, he helps with sustenance (thanks for the reminder, Anny).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ponton wrote:

Reason: the fee is only considered an action with regard to the storing rules. The Altruist shall only affect actual actions (like place actions, or bonus actions via other colonies).

Then what is the reason for the Altruist having an effect on sustenance?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't think of that when writing my previous answer. Let me rephrase: the Altruist discounts everything for you unless he would hurt another player. He's a very kind and peaceful soul.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you park him on the Developer, and claim a discount off tool spending?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope but this is covered in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anny48 wrote:
poifpoif wrote:
slickerdrips wrote:

That is right, the rulebook gives an example that when you refine 8 wood to 4 planks at the joiner and the ambassador is at a place that gives 3 wood discount, you would pay 5 wood for the 4 planks.

It would be better to say you only get the discount once per turn, because a turn can involve more than one action.

But the rule book causes confusion about "turns" because it also uses that term to refer to all the turns you take in a half-year (i.e., "Your Turn" on page 7). According to that definition, you would only be able to use the Ambassador once in a half-year.

I would have suggested using 3 different terms, something like:

"Action": the various things you can do once you land on a new tile (usually only one).

"Turn": Consists of moving your steward and taking the available action(s).

"Turn phase": The 3 consecutive turns that a player takes in a half-year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Using turn meaning "all three turns" was an accident and oversight that was not intended. It happens only in a few places, fortunately, but I can see how this can confuse people.

When an effect limits you to "once per three turns", the effect says "once per half-year". If an effect says "once per turn", it literally means "once per each of the three turns you get".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Jones
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ponton wrote:
Using turn meaning "all three turns" was an accident and oversight that was not intended. It happens only in a few places, fortunately, but I can see how this can confuse people.

When an effect limits you to "once per three turns", the effect says "once per half-year". If an effect says "once per turn", it literally means "once per each of the three turns you get".

Does this also apply to the "Dolly" card. It seems that using goods from your buffers "once per turn" is really just letting you always use goods from your buffers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
The Dolly allows you to pay with up to 3 goods from buffers. It does not always let you pay from buffers.

E.g. I have 2 Forester's Houses holding 2 wood each. I've got 4 wood in my storage (and no space for any more wood). I want to visit the Joiner to make planks. I can only make 3 planks because I can only use 3 wood from the forester's houses (and not all 4).

Next turn, I could use goods from buffers again (up to 3).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.