Hide
11 Posts

Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenny Wong
msg tools
I just got the game so some rules are unclear for me.
I'm sorry if any of these were already answered somewhere else.

1. During location phase, if there are already enough exploration points on the location card, do you resolve the location at the start or end of location phase?

1a. If you do resolve at the start, does the card with "At the end of location phase" keyword be triggered at the end of the same location phase?

2. Does using a success token from the action card means that the action is automatically passed?

3. Do you still roll black dice for the exhausted enemy engaged with you?

4. Can you make an enemy with "Advance" ability retreat? (ie. Waywatcher's Watchful Sprite)

5. Ranged attack does not engage the target enemy unless already engaged with, correct?

6. During an action, which resolve first? Enemy damage or action's ability?

7. When engaged with multiple enemies, do you all the black dices and decide afterwards who to assign each one to, or roll them one by one?

8. Similarly, for white dice, when you are targeting multiple enemies, do you decide which enemy to assign the dice to before or after rolling?

9. For a faced-down enemy, if a player damages it, does it take damage regardless of armor, then flip up?

10. The keyword "Distribute n wounds among party.", does it mean inflict to every party member or collectively?

Some are simple rules, but I just want to make sure.
Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KennyDBacon wrote:
I just got the game so some rules are unclear for me.
I'm sorry if any of these were already answered somewhere else.

Welcome, and hope I can help!

Quote:
1. During location phase, if there are already enough exploration points on the location card, do you resolve the location at the start or end of location phase?

1a. If you do resolve at the start, does the card with "At the end of location phase" keyword be triggered at the end of the same location phase?

The Location Phase goes as follows:

- Start of Location Phase: Check the current location (the one you've been in for this round) for "At the start of the location phase" effects.

- Location Phase: Check progress on the location. If you've got enough, choose if you want to move. If yes, discard all progress and draw a new location card. You travel to this location (spawn enemies, trigger anything saying "when the heroes travel to this location")

- End of Location Phase: Check the current location (which may be one you've just traveled to) for "At the end of the location phase" effects.

So on a turn you travel, you may be hit by two location effects - your old location's "Start" and your new location's "End". Or you may be hit by none, if the two are the other way around!

Quote:
2. Does using a success token from the action card means that the action is automatically passed?

There's no such thing as "passing" an action. All actions are scalable, and the question is how many successes you can get. Each success is then one point of effect at whatever you're attempting (a damage to an enemy, a wound healed from you, a progress on the location or a success token to an ally). Spending a success token from the action card increases your number of successes at that action by 1 (or spending two increases your count by 2).

Quote:
3. Do you still roll black dice for the exhausted enemy engaged with you?

No.

Quote:
4. Can you make an enemy with "Advance" ability retreat? (ie. Waywatcher's Watchful Sprite)

Yes. Abilities in enemies' action bars only take effect during the enemy phase when that enemy activates. Only card text (like "cannot be exhausted except when it activates") will affect whether you can do something to an enemy during the hero phase.

Quote:
5. Ranged attack does not engage the target enemy unless already engaged with, correct?

Correct, "Ranged" attack means you can target an enemy in any engagement zone or the shadows, and no engagement happens as a result of that targeting.

Quote:
6. During an action, which resolve first? Enemy damage or action's ability?

Successes resolve first - but (I think) enemies you've dealt lethal damage to will still hit you before dying. The ordering is most important for Rest, where you recover wounds before suffering new ones.

Quote:
7. When engaged with multiple enemies, do you all the black dices and decide afterwards who to assign each one to, or roll them one by one?

You roll one black dice for every engaged ready enemy. For slashes rolled, the enemies are ordered by their attack damage. That is, if you have three ready enemies engaged with you, and have attacks 1, 2 and 4, then you'll roll three black dice, and if you get one slash, you'll take 4 damage; if you get two slashes you'll take 6, and if you get three slashes you'll take 7.

Quote:
8. Similarly, for white dice, when you are targeting multiple enemies, do you decide which enemy to assign the dice to before or after rolling?

You have to select targets (up to your target limit, which defaults to one) before rolling. However, you're just selecting potential targets. Then you roll the dice, apply any additional effects, and see how many successes you have. You then choose how to apply these successes between the enemies that you chose to target.

Quote:
9. For a faced-down enemy, if a player damages it, does it take damage regardless of armor, then flip up?

No. You chose how much damage to assign to it, then you flip it face up, then subtract armor as normal. (Note that's for attack actions; if you use a "inflict 1 [wound symbol]" effect such as some of the Waywatcher's stuff, that will inflict wounds directly regardless of armor - but that's true for both face-up and face-down enemies.

Quote:
10. The keyword "Distribute n wounds among party.", does it mean inflict to every party member or collectively?

Spread n wounds total between the heroes as you choose.

Quote:
Some are simple rules, but I just want to make sure.
Thanks in advance.

No worries; feel free to ask if you have further questions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Wong
msg tools
Thanks for the quick response.

So to further clarify question 2, regardless whether you roll any success or used any success token, the effect of an action is still resolved from top to bottom as per usual?
What about Warrior Priest's healing ability? Does it increase heals for each success tokens and success rolled?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever you use an action card, make sure you do all the steps from top to bottom in order. Note that only the line that has the dice symbol actually involves rolling dice - don't roll them until you've done all the lines before, but do the roll before all the lines after.

What you roll, and any success tokens you spend on that roll, won't affect any of the other lines. They'll all happen regardless of spending success tokens, or whether you roll any successes or not.

In the case of the Warrior Priest's basic Rest ability:

Battle Prayers wrote:
- You may exhaust one non-nemesis enemy engaged with you.

- REST: 1 die

- Choose 1 hero. That hero becomes empowered.

- Ready all of your actions.

You'll do all four of those steps, in order, regardless of your roll and any success tokens. The number of wounds you heal as part of the REST action is equal to the number of successes you roll plus the number of success tokens from Battle Prayers that you spend.

If you meant his Aid ability, on the other hand:

Sigmar's Light wrote:
- AID: 2 dice

- The target hero may ready 1 action.

- You and the target hero each recover one wound.

You again do all three of those steps, in order, choosing a single target hero (not himself) as part of the AID and referencing them in the other two steps. Again, the second and third steps happen even if you don't roll any successes. The third step will always heal 1 wound each regardless of what you roll. The only thing the number of successes you get in the roll (plus tokens spent) matters for is how many success tokens the target hero can claim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Wong
msg tools
So I have been playing wrongly. Thanks again.

Some final questions.

If you already engaged with 3 enemies, can you forcefully engage another enemy to suffer its damage and send him to the shadow zone? Just curious as it may be useful in certain critical situations.

Also, I went and read the action cards again. Bright Wizard's Aid action, according to what you have told me, the target hero is the one that should suffer the wounds to receive the additional success tokens?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KennyDBacon wrote:
So I have been playing wrongly. Thanks again.

Some final questions.

If you already engaged with 3 enemies, can you forcefully engage another enemy to suffer its damage and send him to the shadow zone? Just curious as it may be useful in certain critical situations.

Yes! Only useful if the enemy is previously engaged with another hero (unless you really want the wounds, I guess?) but that's fair - so long as you're using an ability that says "you may engage an enemy" (you can't just do it arbitrarily at any time). EDIT following later comment: probably not, but it's not completely clear.

Quote:
Also, I went and read the action cards again. Bright Wizard's Aid action, according to what you have told me, the target hero is the one that should suffer the wounds to receive the additional success tokens?

I can't remember for certain without the card text, but that sounds right. As the flavour text says, you're helping them by setting them on fire...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hamish Buchanan
msg tools
Quote:
If you already engaged with 3 enemies, can you forcefully engage another enemy to suffer its damage and send him to the shadow zone?

Have to say no. Engaging means moving an enemy card into a hero's engagement zone, which you cannot do if there are already 3 enemies in it. Under both Engaging and Zones, the RRG states "If the active hero has three enemies in his engagement zone and an enemy engages him or a game effect would place another enemy card into that zone, that hero suffers a number of wounds equal to that enemy's attack value, and that enemy is placed in the shadows."
It specifically mentions enemy engagement and game effects, but NOT hero effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Jannin
France
SAUTRON
Loire Atlantique
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of an ennemy is engaged with an hero, can another hero engage that ennemy (through a card effect) ? Transferring said ennemy to his engagement zone ?

I played as if I could voluntary engage ennemy that are in the shadows, but now I am not so sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greatsageishere wrote:
Quote:
If you already engaged with 3 enemies, can you forcefully engage another enemy to suffer its damage and send him to the shadow zone?

Have to say no. Engaging means moving an enemy card into a hero's engagement zone, which you cannot do if there are already 3 enemies in it. Under both Engaging and Zones, the RRG states "If the active hero has three enemies in his engagement zone and an enemy engages him or a game effect would place another enemy card into that zone, that hero suffers a number of wounds equal to that enemy's attack value, and that enemy is placed in the shadows."
It specifically mentions enemy engagement and game effects, but NOT hero effects.

Hmmm, fair points. I can't say I'd considered the option until it was raised here and I haven't checked the rules carefully. I don't think the quoted rules are completely clear-cut, but would agree they lean towards saying "no".

haplo92 wrote:
Of an ennemy is engaged with an hero, can another hero engage that ennemy (through a card effect) ? Transferring said ennemy to his engagement zone ?

I played as if I could voluntary engage ennemy that are in the shadows, but now I am not so sure.

When you choose to engage an enemy (via any Attack action, and some other actions) you can choose an enemy currently in the shadows or an enemy that is currently engaged with another hero. Either way it is moved into your engagement zone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T
United States
Southern MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I started a first play through of the main quest line last night. What happens when you reach the end of the Peril Track? Do you continue to experience whatever the last Peril space indicates on each future turn during the Peril phase? Or are the colored Peril spaces one-time events? Do I skip the Peril phase once I reach the end of the track? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snardo wrote:
I started a first play through of the main quest line last night. What happens when you reach the end of the Peril Track? Do you continue to experience whatever the last Peril space indicates on each future turn during the Peril phase? Or are the colored Peril spaces one-time events? Do I skip the Peril phase once I reach the end of the track? Thanks.

From page 12 of the reference:

If the peril token is on the last space of the peril track, the party still resolves any peril effects triggered by the last space during the peril phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.