Popular Tags: [View All]
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all!
This is the BGG entry for my new game Dead Reckoning. This game represents the initiation of a new type of game system - one that is accessible, thematic and challenging. Playability is key, so that wargamers, non-wargamers and even non-gamers can enjoy a friendly zombie apocalypse together. Please send in your comments, suggestions and complaints as you see fit. Welcome!

Thanks!

Hermann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HORST324 wrote:
. Playability is key, so that wargamers, non-wargamers and even non-gamers can enjoy a friendly zombie apocalypse together.
Hermann

LOL. That's what we're all hoping for, a friendly death by mastication. zombie

How does this play solo? Is it chit draw or an IGOUGO? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

This is a new system and something a little different for me. Each side has Initiative Cards with which you secretly "bid" a number. High number gets the initiative, meaning you go first, and the bid number is the total number of actions each side gets. If the difference is more than one, the initiative side gets a number of actions equal to the difference of the cards to conduct first. So if the Humans bid the "4" card and the Zombies bid a "1", the Human player would conduct three actions, the Zombie player then does his/her one and the Human player would finish the round with his/her fourth action.

So the system is alternating actions (each unit can only conduct one action each round). All combat, chaos events and any other special activities are resolved by a simple flip of the next Combat Results Card (one deck for each side). No modifiers or figuring - the results are given to you.

For solo play, if you play each side one at a time with a blind initiative draw for the non-player side, you should be good doing this solitaire.

Thanks!
Herm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim allen
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The HL1 Norovirus is loose!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
And while I'm at it .... a huge "thank you" to:

Fred Manzo - my right-hand man, developer extraordinaire and "breaker of games". It is his Devil's Advocate approach to finding loopholes and problems in my designs that allow me to hack off the "sharp edges" and make the game as smooth as possible.

Tim Allen - the best graphics guy in the business. He is able to read my mind as to how I think I want the game to appear and then nails that look every time. His artistic hand doubles the game's enjoyment by making it fully immersive and feel exactly right.

Chris Hansen - the best playtester out there. It's his final input and keen observations that make the game better and more polished.

Mark and Denver Walker - for taking a chance on a rather bizarre game idea and then supporting that idea to the end. Tiny Battle Publishing is a great company to design for and these are two of the most wonderful people in the business.

Thanks!

Hermann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie 40
United States
in the flight path of McGuire AFB
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was checking out Tiny Battles website to see what else the extraordinary Herr Luttmann was up to and tripped across this, not realizing it was just out. I purchased/downloaded it Saturday through the Wargame Vault. The game map file was missing from the download. I received word today that the issue was remedied, and sure enough, I downloaded the file. It doesn't get much better than that. The files look good, as does the output. The tabletop apocalypse starts Saturday.

I expect to use Wargame Vault again soon. I wasn't aware it existed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much for the support, Charlie! I'm glad they fixed the map issue. I hope you enjoy the game - please let us know. Handy-dandy undead tip of the day ..... keep your zombies together as much as possible! Even if you have only 1 Action for the round, that "Brains!" action will pay off big time.

Thanks again!
Herm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
'65 Squad Level Combat in Vietnam. On Kickstarter!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I was checking out Tiny Battles website to see what else the extraordinary Herr Luttmann was up to and tripped across this, not realizing it was just out. I purchased/downloaded it Saturday through the Wargame Vault. The game map file was missing from the download. I received word today that the issue was remedied, and sure enough, I downloaded the file. It doesn't get much better than that. The files look good, as does the output. The tabletop apocalypse starts Saturday.

I expect to use Wargame Vault again soon. I wasn't aware it existed.

Yep, I apologize. That was my fault. The file was missing the map. Denver fixed it as soon as we found out. We use Wargame Vault as the host for all the PDF files for both Flying Pig and Tiny Battle. Thanks for supporting us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred W. Manzo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks Herm. It's always a ton of fun working on your games.

But "Dead Reckoning" is special. If it works out there are plans to use its engine for more traditional wargame topics. Just think, a wargame with no list of Die Roll Modifiers to memorize or Combat Results Tables or Terrain Effects Charts or multiplication OR division. But it's still a wargame that takes into account attack and defense strength, terrain, morale, speed and weapon types. All we had to do was switch out things like "Fear Factor" for "Morale" etc. and we've jumped from a zombie game ("Dead Reckoning") to a World War I game ("The Race to the Sea: 1914"). So we'd be mighty interested in comments on "Dead Reckoning," especially how people like its engine, as there are big plans to use its approach again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
'65 Squad Level Combat in Vietnam. On Kickstarter!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. It's a great idea. A LOT of the pushback with gamers (video, PC, Euro, and in some cases Ameritrash) when introduced to wargames is the math. Many times these are intelligent kids (anyone under 30 is a kid to me), who just don't like dividing and rounding fractions. When I look at it objectively, I have to agree. Dead Reckoning eliminates all that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.