Subject: which expansion would you get for Swamps of Death? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fnorbl Fnorblobson
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I got Swamps of Death, played it a couple of times, and it's fun. I missed the first Kickstarter though, and at least here in Germany the expansions are so expensive, that I'm a bit reluctant to spend more, since the question then comes up: "do I want a new boardgame or an expansion for SoB?".

But, assuming I'd be by now willing to spend something between 50€ and 100€, what would you advise me to get?

I personally see there the following options:
- Cities of the Ancient base game, to combine both that and SoD
- That new Forbidden Fortress Kickstarter base game
- One expensive expansion, like Frontier town
- Several smaller expansions.

Thanks for your help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
City of Ancients and Frontier town. I know you don't want to spend THAT much, but trust me, between the two, they'll give you a lot more game.

edit: Or you could get the new kickstarter instead of City of Ancients (though that's not supposed to come out till March 2018 (so you'd be waiting quite a while for it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jansson
Sweden
Trollhättan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a tip, use boardgameprices.co.uk to see were the prices are good. I live in Sweden and bought almost everything from the UK, had I bought locally I would have had to spend 50% more.

That said I'd go for City of the Ancients, Serpentmen and Swampslugs, Scafford Gang and Dark Stone Brutes Frontier Town. Frontier Town is great but it adds more time to the town stay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fnorbl Fnorblobson
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Burnham wrote:
City of Ancients and Frontier town. I know you don't want to spend THAT much, but trust me, between the two, they'll give you a lot more game.

edit: Or you could get the new kickstarter instead of City of Ancients (though that's not supposed to come out till March 2018 (so you'd be waiting quite a while for it).

Thanks for the quick reply.

Well, I'm in no hurry. I guess the advantage of getting the new game would be to have one additional class as Kickstarter exclusive.

I guess getting at least one additional base game makes sense, to have a wider selection of hero classes to choose from.

What exactly would you mix when combining, for example, the new base game with Swamps of Death? I mean, don't you then lose all immersion?

Like: it seems a bit odd to have a Geisha in a dusty mine in the Wild West. Of course, you could say that the Wild West was a place with many immigrants from Asia, and that she is obviously no regular Geisha but one with exceptional powers. So, that would then make sense mixing the hero classes.

Loot: I assume a couple of katanas could be found in a mine for the same reason.

The enemies would be a bit odd: why would japanese demons inhabit a Wild West mine? Same with the map tiles: every second tile you are in a mine or a fortress? Though, you could be in some dungeons beneath the fortress then.

Hmmm hmm...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can add cards to threat decks as you wish. If you only want to see a certain type of enemy in a certain world, you can do that. And you don't mix map tiles like that. You need a portal to go from one world/setting to another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fnorbl Fnorblobson
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jtspecial wrote:
You can add cards to threat decks as you wish. If you only want to see a certain type of enemy in a certain world, you can do that. And you don't mix map tiles like that. You need a portal to go from one world/setting to another.

Ok, thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Trederra expansion is pretty great and adds some new mechanisms to the gameplay such as "cover" rules.

I started with Swamps of Death, but I never did get the Serpentmen or Swamp Slugs. The reason being, as a retail buyer I got only the 15 Jargono artifacts (of which 3-4 at least are side-bag tokens). Our group got bored fast of the other world with no cool guns to collect, and for the cost of the slugs and serpent men you're already at the level of cost of Frontier Town.

Frontier Town does indeed add potentially more time to the town stay, and that's been great for us because there is so much stuff to go for (equipment to buy) that it adds a lot to the game. You also get some bandits (they work differently than the enemies in Swamps, as they try to stay back and shoot) and a town map for some short missions.

If you can get a good deal on City of the Ancients that would be a great option (and between 50 and 100 euros maybe? I only know the US price online is around $70 for each base game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orya wrote:
Burnham wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply.

Well, I'm in no hurry. I guess the advantage of getting the new game would be to have one additional class as Kickstarter exclusive.

I guess getting at least one additional base game makes sense, to have a wider selection of hero classes to choose from.

What exactly would you mix when combining, for example, the new base game with Swamps of Death? I mean, don't you then lose all immersion?

Like: it seems a bit odd to have a Geisha in a dusty mine in the Wild West. Of course, you could say that the Wild West was a place with many immigrants from Asia, and that she is obviously no regular Geisha but one with exceptional powers. So, that would then make sense mixing the hero classes.

Loot: I assume a couple of katanas could be found in a mine for the same reason.

The enemies would be a bit odd: why would japanese demons inhabit a Wild West mine? Same with the map tiles: every second tile you are in a mine or a fortress? Though, you could be in some dungeons beneath the fortress then.

Hmmm hmm...

You're right that the game makes less thematic sense if you mix Forbidden Fortress with Swamps of Death. If you want more thematic coherency, get City of the Ancients.instead of Forbidden Fortress.
Thematic elements aside, Forbidden Fortress would give you two additional enemy types over City of the Ancients (because City of has regular tentacles (which you've already got, and FoFo has a "mini-boss" level monster over what CotA has).
Also, as you said, FoFo has one more hero than CotA (the KS promo Sumo).
And then FoFo will have a different town than CotA/SoD. I'm sure it will function similar to the original town, but it will be somewhat different.

On the other hand, City of the Ancients has different mine tiles than Swamp of Death, so when you combine the sets, the mine gets bulked out with even more variety!

Now, all that being said, based on your concern for having the game make thematic sense, I would recommend City of the Ancients.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fnorbl Fnorblobson
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I've to admit, I'm now a bit torn.

Cities of Ancients (about 100€ here):
- Yes: Lots of new content.
- Yes: Everything fits to the Wild West theme.
- Yes: Four new classes.
- Meh: no opposite gender models.
- No: duplicate miniatures.

Frontier Town (about 60€ here):
- Yes: New content.
- Yes: Fits to the theme.
- Yes: cheapest option.
- Meh: Only six new miniatures and no new classes.

Forbidden Fortress (about 120€ with shipping included):
- Yes: New content.
- Yes: Five new classes.
- Yes: opposite gender models.
- Meh: doesn't mix and match well with SoD thematically.

Hmm... I'll have to think about that.

Thanks again for the input.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernest S
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the same boat as you (only own SoD) so I'm watching this thread carefully. I like the idea of adding some things that change the game a little bit & also add the most variety for the buck. Some options I've considered are:

1- Scafford Gang: Relatively cheap; stays with the western theme; adds ranged enemies.

2- Frontier Town: for more-or-less the same reasons I listed above for Scafford Gang.

3- Add one of the "Other Worlds". The two that interest me the most (because of theme) are:

- Derelict Ship: I love SciFi & don't mind adding in a completely different theme for one of the Other Worlds (despite what I mention about theme on the other 2 expansions above. I guess going to another world allows me to accept a totally different non-western theme)

- Trederra: Seems like I've read a lot of positive reviews here about this world. I also like the war-torn, industrial-age theme.

That is my 2. Good luck choosing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Always get the other Core Set first, followed ASAP by the Frontier Town Expansion.

Everything else is gravy. Sweet, creamy, delicious gravy albeit BUT without a Turkey/Ham you're just not really eating anything substantial.

The Core Sets + The Frontier Town Expo are the meat. Get the meat.

This post took a weird turn into food-metaphors.

- Jee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Friedmutant
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another +1 for FTE from me, but perhaps for different reasons than I've seen above. I like the extra amount of personal choice PCs get between mine adventures with FTE and the town board offers a nice alternative to dungeon crawling all the time.

P.S.
Get some flight stands for indicating characters flying or on rooftops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Inspector Jee wrote:
Always get the other Core Set first, followed ASAP by the Frontier Town Expansion.

Everything else is gravy. Sweet, creamy, delicious gravy albeit BUT without a Turkey/Ham you're just not really eating anything substantial.

The Core Sets + The Frontier Town Expo are the meat. Get the meat.

This post took a weird turn into food-metaphors.

- Jee

This.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fnorbl Fnorblobson
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, if getting a second base game makes more sense, then I have two choices I assume:

City of Ancients:
- available now
- a bit cheaper than Forbidden Fortress
- closer to the theme of the base game I have

Forbidden Fortress:
- shipped in 2018
- has an additional Kickstarter exclusive class
- has alt gender models
- no duplicate models

Hmmm...

I guess another option could be to buy Frontier Town now, and use that and the base game to pass time until Forbidden Fortress arrives.

Thanks for all the replies, suggestions and input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orya wrote:
So, if getting a second base game makes more sense, then I have two choices I assume:

City of Ancients:
- available now
- a bit cheaper than Forbidden Fortress
- closer to the theme of the base game I have

Forbidden Fortress:
- shipped in 2018
- has an additional Kickstarter exclusive class
- has alt gender models
- no duplicate models

Hmmm...

I guess another option could be to buy Frontier Town now, and use that and the base game to pass time until Forbidden Fortress arrives.

Thanks for all the replies, suggestions and input.

For the money, you get a lot more bang for your buck by backing the ks.
Even more if you back at Shogun level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.