$30.00
Neil Martin
msg tools
Hey Guys,
I'm new here but I'm learning so much!
I am in love with a pretty popular game called Dixit. Dixit uses fully illustrated cards to create symbolism. The players have to vote on which card is the correct one based on the card's artwork.

Are there any other games that use art as a core mechanic, and not just to add theme?

Kind regards,
Neil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Stevenson
United Kingdom
Watford
Herts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tajemnicze Domostwo

A ghost uses pictures to provide clues to where, by whom and with what they were murdered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L S
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As Rob suggested, Tajemnicze Domostwo builds upon the basic gameplay of Dixit.

Codenames: Pictures plays differently but also falls into the category of deduction games with images as primary clues.

T.I.M.E Stories has clues hidden in some of the card illustrations. However, that's only one aspect of the overall gameplay.

Memory and all its twelve billion incarnations should count as well.

Then there's a whole subset of (tabletop) miniature games... namely those where minis aren't just there to add some bling to the product but provide a functionally scaled representation of characters. I'm talking about games where miniature positioning determines line-of-sight, where obstacle height is measured relative to the height of a character, and so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Taylor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Also drawing games - there are several "gamery" takes on classic family games like Pictionary.

For example A Fake Artist Goes to New York or (personal favourite) Pictomania.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giovanni Wassen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Busen Memo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Pitiot
Finland
flag msg tools
How about a cake break!
badge
How about a cake break!
mbmbmbmbmb
You should have a look at Telestrations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Kline
United States
Winter Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
www.MysticTigerGames.com
badge
www.MysticTigerGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it's not a board game, but...

An old role-playing game called Everway had a deck of cards with beautiful artwork on them. During character creation, you were dealt five such cards, and you had to construct your character backstory using at least one detail, no matter how small or trivial, from each card. If you needed a push, each card had some open-ended questions on the back, such as 'how important was the jeweled bird to its owner?' or 'where was the merchant going?' that might indirectly refer to a detail on the front.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renegade McCoy
Wales
flag msg tools
Mysterium is made by the same people as Dixit. I'm looking to get it before Christmas to play with my family. It's a co-op game in which one player (the ghost) gives out artwork cards to the other players (paranormal investigators) so they can match the symbology with the suspect,location and weapon cards they each need to find from a "line up" of options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaleidos is all about finding words starting with a given letter for objects in a complex drawing, scoring more points for words only you found.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Vallerand
Canada
St-Basile-Le-Grand
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Renegade McCoy wrote:
Mysterium is made by the same people as Dixit.

Wait, what? I don't think it is really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Pitiot
Finland
flag msg tools
How about a cake break!
badge
How about a cake break!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jungle Speed also came to mind.
Every turn you flip a card and if you have the same as someone else, you have to be fast to grab the totem before them.
The trick is that all the shapes on the cards are really similar.

I also remember a kid's game called Finders Keepers where you have several hundreds small images displayed on a big mat, on each turn you flip a card and the fastest one to find the same image on the mat wins the turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
I'm actually in the process of making a small card game which uses art as a transfer for subliminal messages to explore the way of individual perception (how different ppl see the same image). To be honest, it's more of a mental experiment than game. :]

Might be interesting, idk, we shall see.

this is how the one card looks like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lotus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick mullen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tile laying games do this in a way, the carcassonne rules if I recall mention matching the illustration.

New game idea: Carcassonne with dixit cards. The card must match on all sides in some subjective way with it's neighboring images.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Deal with Death
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
My clue's pointing this way...
mbmbmbmbmb
Mysterium
Codenames: Pictures
Telestrations
Pictionary
Concept (Sort of)
Joking Hazard
Deception: Murder in Hong Kong
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Gibson
Canada
Powell River
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In the realm of Print and Play, there's Abs-Tract-Toe, which is less about art as a game mechanism than it is art as the result of playing a game.

Also in that vein is How to Host a Dungeon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Masterpiece is an art based game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Blank
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pictionary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusing Manifestation
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JVallerand wrote:
Renegade McCoy wrote:
Mysterium is made by the same people as Dixit.

Wait, what? I don't think it is really.

The English language version is published by the same company (Libellud), and I'm pretty sure they got one of the Dixit artists to do the card art. It's true that the designers of the two games are completely separate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dreams involves the players studying several pieces of art and collaborating to lay out stars in a pattern which could plausibly be a constellation of one of the illustrations. (Most of the players are "gods", while one is a mortal who is trying to keep the others from discovering that they don't know which illustration they're imitating.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Seater
United States
Ashland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I help designers improve their games.
badge
Feed me...games...
mbmbmbmbmb
Siena is a very different take -- it is a euro game based and played entirely on a classic painting. The gameplay is not art-based, but it is inspired by the art and well integrated with it.

While I didn't like the mechanics much, I did like how the game made me study the painting and become aware of just how much was going on in it, which was neat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Andrews
Canada
flag msg tools
Guess Who?

edits: still learning how the links work

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.