3 Posts

Yomi (second edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions about how to use abilities (Yomi second eddition) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ozzy Kap
msg tools
Heya and greetings from germany,
Yomi got released here recently and I have a blast playing it. But there are some things still unclear for me. Like do I have to discard a card, when I use its ability? Here are some exemples:

Grave 7s:
Martial Mastery - [Draw Phase] Draw 2 cards, then discard a card, then the opponent reveals his hand.

Jaina 7s:
Unstable Power - [Draw Phase] Knocked down opponents stand up. You can't play Aces this turn, but you can rotate your combat-revealed attack 180 degrees. If you hit the opponent this combat, search your deck or discard pile for 2 Aces. Otherwise, take 7 damage.

Midori 10s:
Glimpse of the Dragon - [Combat Reveal] If you combat-revealed a face card while not in Dragon Form, rotate it 180 degrees to play the Dragon Form version of your move. (Aces aren't face cards.)

DeGrey 4s:
Troublesome Rhetoric - [Draw Phase] Choose attack, block, throw, or dodge. If the opponent combat-reveals that option this turn, gain 12 life.

Lum 7s:
Jackpot - [Draw Phase] Draw a card then the opponent reveals a card from their hand at random. If it's an Ace, they take 7 damage and you draw another card. If it's a Joker, you take 2 damage.

Argagarg 7s:
Protective Ward - [Combat Reveal] Draw a card. This turn, the opponent's attacks and throws are Enders that can't be pumped (or tag comboed from in 2v2).

Do I have to discard these cards, when I use their abilities? Other cards say, that I have to discard them, when I use them. Also the rulebook doesn't say, that I need to discard cards, when I use their abilities. I just need to folow the card text.

Setsukis 10s for example say:
Smoke Bomb - [Reaction] Discard two cards (and this card) to counter an ability. (Prevent and undo the ability and the opponent discards the card if played from hand. You can't counter Aces, Jokers or character cards.)

Something else:

Jaina 10s:
Smoldering Embers - [Combat Reveal] If the opponent dodged while this card is in your discard pile, they take two damage. You can't power up with this card. (It's too hot.)

So this cards stays in the discard pile, after the ability is used? If there more 10s in the discard pile, does the damage stack?

Midori 2s:
Dragon Form - [Draw Phase] Ongoing. You can play Dragon moves. Discard this if you get thrown or you combat-reveal a non-Dragon attack/throw.

What does Ongoing mean? Do I just reveal the 2 and still keep it in my hand?

Thanks for the help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
turkishozzy wrote:
Do I have to discard these cards, when I use their abilities? Other cards say, that I have to discard them, when I use them. Also the rulebook doesn't say, that I need to discard cards, when I use their abilities. I just need to folow the card text.

Yes, for the non-Ongoing abilities, you discard them after their effect resolves.

Ongoing abilities you keep in an "Ongoing" space in your play area, not your hand. Basically create a new space for them. They have a constant effect until their discard condition is met.

Quote:
Jaina 10s:
Smoldering Embers - [Combat Reveal] If the opponent dodged while this card is in your discard pile, they take two damage. You can't power up with this card. (It's too hot.)

So this cards stays in the discard pile, after the ability is used? If there more 10s in the discard pile, does the damage stack?

Yes, Smoldering Embers stays in discard pile

Glad you're enjoying the game, it's great and only gets better the more you play it. Even in the English version the (second edition) rulebook is pretty incomplete when it comes to using abilities though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from Yomi to Yomi (second edition).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.