Subject: special teams penalty rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jamie erskine
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
on a kick return/punt/FG etc, if there is a penalty on the offense, do you count the offense as the team that just recieved the ball, or the kicking team?

You could argue that the kicking team is still the offense until the play is over, or you could claim that once the ball is kicked the recieving team is now the offense. Plus, the fact that you dont know if the penalty occured before or after the catch makes me wonder.

I guess it doesnt matter as long as you're consistant throughout a game, but Id like to know what team others call the penalty on.

thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bush
United States
West Decatur
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
At all cost
badge
"Some fights will just get you bloody"
mbmbmbmbmb
The offense is the team whom starts with possession of the ball during the play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Anderson
United States
Buffalo
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Punt Returns or Kickoff Returns
Kicking Team = Defense
Receiving Team = Offense

FG's
Kicking Team = Offense

Punts(Only if you remove 1 die)
Kicking Team = Offense
Receiving Team = Defense

For penalties I look at it like this:
If you're kicking a field goal, punting or just caught the punt/kickoff then your team has the ball, which means you are on offense.

You also add(or subtract) the yardage from the end of the return.

The games designer answered this question in an earlier post about 5 years ago.

See rule book (Summary of Play, #1, page 3)

I hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jamie erskine
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for your replies guys.
I have to say that despite Scotts response, who rightly points out that the creator intended the offense to be the team kicking the ball unless there is a return and then it is the receiving team, I have to say that that makes the rule more complicated than necessary.
I like the simplicity of the rules in this game and so I may choose to just stick to having the offense as the kicking team on all special team plays.
I don't see it makes much the difference, beyond both parties understanding the rule before the dice are rolled.

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.