Recommend
16 
 Thumb up
 Hide
27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Top 100 Analysis November 1, 2016 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JonMichael Rasmus
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Next year, I'm going as a Catan board. When I reach front doors, I'll say: "Brick or sheep!"

Insane in my brain:
Prime Movers
Terraforming Mars +39 #59
Mansions of Madness: Second Edition +8 #73

Falling Stars
Mage Wars -6 #82

Hot Lava Birth
NONE

Top Ten Trends
NO CHANGE

Top 5 Winning Movers
Roll for the Galaxy
Concordia
Lords of Waterdeep
Trajan
Fields of Arle

New Highest Peaks
Concordia #38
Fields of Arle #49
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective #52
Viticulture Essential Edition #57
Terraforming Mars #59
Mansions of Madness: Second Edition #73
Forbidden Stars #89

For a review/explanation of the terms in this thread, check out:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Top_100_Analysis

And through it all, another Sherlock Week. Plus Terraforming Mansions with big gains. But a very steady top of the chart this week. We'll see what happens if there's a top 40 Life on Mars?

Have a good week.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Huskvarna
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jmsr525 wrote:
Terraforming Mars +39 #59


My page say #69. But a big clime anyway. And a great game.

Edit: Now the page did update. Yes. surprise #59.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Ips
Denmark
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Mage wars seems to have dropped quite a bit? I wonder why - never got to play it, but the concept seemed crazy epic
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thip wrote:
Mage wars seems to have dropped quite a bit? I wonder why - never got to play it, but the concept seemed crazy epic


Six games got better ratings?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jmsr525 wrote:
Next year, I'm going as a Catan board. When I reach front doors, I'll say: "Brick or sheep!"


New blog: Horrible Dad Jokes A to Z?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Denby
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
And I'll form the Head!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I really should try getting my copy of Terraforming Mars to the table. It had a bunch of buzz and I grabbed it at my FLGS a few weeks back but just have had other games I'd rather play.
It's continual climb makes it getting to the table more interesting.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gemmer
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lukedenby wrote:
I really should try getting my copy of Terraforming Mars to the table. It had a bunch of buzz and I grabbed it at my FLGS a few weeks back but just have had other games I'd rather play.
It's continual climb makes it getting to the table more interesting.


I'm down to play it Friday, since we'll almost certainly have 4 or less.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Bennetts
United Kingdom
Wellington
Somerset
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm liking that people are suddenly discovering Concordia. I know SUSD (at least Quinns) raved on it just recently which has possibly got it some attention.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the update, always look forward to it.

I see there is a lot of diversity in the movers.



Ahem, enough about Diversity threads...

I am pleased to see I have backed four winning movers. Though Concordia laughs at me again for not buying it from amazon.de when it was about £20.

Terraforming Mars is looking the real deal judging by its absolutely massive rating on BGG. Forbidden Stars gets a boost as it won't be available for much longer with the licence expiring?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bagherra wrote:
Thip wrote:
Mage wars seems to have dropped quite a bit? I wonder why - never got to play it, but the concept seemed crazy epic


Six games got better ratings?


It was near inside the Top 20 about two years ago. It definitely was on the rise and then started to drop at a brisk rate. Expandable games always to do really well until the expansions go beyond what the player base cares about. Netrunner is going through the same issue. Time Stories will get to that point as well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Lola Cat 2010-2014
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Terraforming Mars is amazing. I've already played it more in the last month than most of my collection.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Earlybath wrote:
I'm liking that people are suddenly discovering Concordia. I know SUSD (at least Quinns) raved on it just recently which has possibly got it some attention.

It's why I bought it, played it, and then rave rated it. Lovely game. Not ohmygod this is sooo cool like Terraforming Mars. More just "ah, such a lovely day" kind of game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sh-h-h-herlock...?!

Looks like it'll crack the top 50. Quite a coup for a game that took decades to reach the top 100, and has had a similarly thoughtful pace toward top 50. I'm a fan of course, but it's also nice to see something have that kind of steady momentum, as opposed to the many giant jumps for new games that we've seen in recent years.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluluien
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
Earlybath wrote:
I'm liking that people are suddenly discovering Concordia. I know SUSD (at least Quinns) raved on it just recently which has possibly got it some attention.

It's why I bought it, played it, and then rave rated it. Lovely game. Not ohmygod this is sooo cool like Terraforming Mars. More just "ah, such a lovely day" kind of game.


Dangit Skutsch. I had been able to tell myself so far "it's okay, I don't need that game, and it's out of stock everywhere anyway", but now that you've said this, I'm probably going to have to get it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lluluien wrote:
skutsch wrote:
Earlybath wrote:
I'm liking that people are suddenly discovering Concordia. I know SUSD (at least Quinns) raved on it just recently which has possibly got it some attention.

It's why I bought it, played it, and then rave rated it. Lovely game. Not ohmygod this is sooo cool like Terraforming Mars. More just "ah, such a lovely day" kind of game.


Dangit Skutsch. I had been able to tell myself so far "it's okay, I don't need that game, and it's out of stock everywhere anyway", but now that you've said this, I'm probably going to have to get it.

Don't take my word for anything! I'm clueless most days! Also, you don't seem to put Euros high on your list. Concordia is as bland Euro as they get. It's weird because while I like Euros I generally like them with a lot more theme than this one has. Just a heads up so you don't spend money on something that won't make you happy!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluluien
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
Don't take my word for anything! I'm clueless most days! Also, you don't seem to put Euros high on your list. Concordia is as bland Euro as they get. It's weird because while I like Euros I generally like them with a lot more theme than this one has. Just a heads up so you don't spend money on something that won't make you happy!


But I was talking about Terraforming Mars
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Ips
Denmark
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Bagherra wrote:
Thip wrote:
Mage wars seems to have dropped quite a bit? I wonder why - never got to play it, but the concept seemed crazy epic


Six games got better ratings?


Don't take the fun out of game ranking speculations, please
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lluluien wrote:
skutsch wrote:
Don't take my word for anything! I'm clueless most days! Also, you don't seem to put Euros high on your list. Concordia is as bland Euro as they get. It's weird because while I like Euros I generally like them with a lot more theme than this one has. Just a heads up so you don't spend money on something that won't make you happy!


But I was talking about Terraforming Mars ;)

Ohhhhhhhhh. Well that game sucks, don't even bother! (Pssst, it's gobs of fun, but don't tell anyone. It's a secwet.)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thip wrote:
Bagherra wrote:
Thip wrote:
Mage wars seems to have dropped quite a bit? I wonder why - never got to play it, but the concept seemed crazy epic


Six games got better ratings?


Don't take the fun out of game ranking speculations, please


Best to keep them speculative, then.
Everyone knows short term goals are meaningless, you want to look at long term returns.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Ips
Denmark
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Bagherra wrote:
Thip wrote:
Bagherra wrote:
Thip wrote:
Mage wars seems to have dropped quite a bit? I wonder why - never got to play it, but the concept seemed crazy epic


Six games got better ratings?


Don't take the fun out of game ranking speculations, please


Best to keep them speculative, then.
Everyone knows short term goals are meaningless, you want to look at long term returns.


I should have you look at my portfolio
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thip wrote:
Bagherra wrote:
Thip wrote:
Bagherra wrote:
Thip wrote:
Mage wars seems to have dropped quite a bit? I wonder why - never got to play it, but the concept seemed crazy epic


Six games got better ratings?


Don't take the fun out of game ranking speculations, please


Best to keep them speculative, then.
Everyone knows short term goals are meaningless, you want to look at long term returns.


I should have you look at my portfolio


People get lucky.
I went to college with a guy that played a penny stock and made $400K USD in two months. Unfortunately that sort of return is nigh impossible to reliably replicate.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like we'll lament Agricola's fall from the Top 10 somewhere this week.
Is Scythe really that good? To me it looks like more hype than substance. But I haven't played it, so I might be wrong.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wormaap wrote:
Looks like we'll lament Agricola's fall from the Top 10 somewhere this week.
Is Scythe really that good? To me it looks like more hype than substance. But I haven't played it, so I might be wrong.


I hope so...planning on picking it up whenever it becomes available. I get the feeling the Hype brought in more players than would normally be interested, and many expected more of a wargame and were disappointed. Im Hoping for a good area control euro...the threat of war is just a nice juicy bonus for me!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola's younger sibling A Feast for Odin is on its way to sort out Scythe but it may take a bit longer.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Cook
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Thip wrote:
Mage wars seems to have dropped quite a bit? I wonder why - never got to play it, but the concept seemed crazy epic


I loved this game, got every expansion at first. Then I even found a group to play. Of four people. It lasted for a few months, then the others dropped out. Great game, hard to find people to play with. I know there's online play, but it's not for me.

My guess is, the designers wanted a game to supplant Magic. For whatever reason, it just didn't catch on at that level. And now it's fading away.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.