GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,400 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

The Colonists» Forums » Variants

Subject: One action three times instead of three actions once? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not actually suggesting it as a variant at this point, I'm more curious if this was tried during playtesting.

One concern is that planning 3 optimal actions at once is harder than only planning one. So, having to wait until the player before you is done (assuming you still have to pay the fee and you're not super flush with goods) means more downtime. Sure, it happens one third of the time it would happen if you only took one action, but I wonder if the trade-off works out.

Was this tried during play testing? Did it make the game longer/shorter? Did it make the fee discounts too strong? Did it make paying the fee too onerous?

Any thoughts on using this as a variant until people get more familiar with the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Puls
Germany
Oldenburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
I started with 1 action per turn. But that had turned out to be much too slow. All players started over thinking at each single turn. (Because tiles were already be occupied again for instance.) I also tried even more actions per turn. E.g. 5 or 6. But it turned out that mostly after 3 turns the players started to think again. So 3 actions turned out to be pretty optimal.
But feel free to try 1 action per turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Tim. Not sure if it's been said by others, but I really appreciate how active you are on these forums and how positive and helpful you've been.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.