Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Standard Format Adventures At Austerlitz for Commands & Colors: Napoleonics
Expansion #6 – EPIC Napoleonics

Since the six standard format Austerlitz scenarios are up on www.commands&;colors.net, and we have to wait until December for Epic CCN Expansion Six, I've decided to go ahead with them. I played the first two yesterday, getting totally creamed as The Allies. However, both games were lots of fun!

Sokolnitz & Telnitz: French 8, Allies 2

Almost the entire action was fought around Telnitz (Allied Left Flank), as the brave Austrian contingent went in supported by some Russians. My Grenzers put the French under great pressure, even in the latter's good defensive terrain. At first my two Cossacks and two Austrian cavalry battered at his infantry square in a new Orchard/Vineyard terrain type hex, but his single remaining block held on! Although I eventually took the hex, my French opponent did an amazing job risking bold counterattacks again and again, to retake the orchard and the entire sector, practically wiping me out!

Meanwhile, in the Center, my laborious attempt to form a three unit Grand Battery, which should have been the key to unlocking his outnumbered defense of Sokolnitz, was fatally delayed when his Out of Supply card sent one of them far to the rear. Back on the flank, a French cavalry unit managed to
break through and wipe out my Austrian Horse Battery to take the win! He had not had an easy time of it, but played exceptionally well.

This is a fun and balanced scenario, which probably would not play out this way again. I loiok forward to replaying it.

Davout's Counter Attack: French 10, Allies 2

Don't put away the terrain or Allied units from the first scenario; for both are almost identical here. The terrain is mostly just displaced a few hexes. But the French are heavily reinforced for their great counter strike, reversing the positions of the two sides on attack and defense. But here the Allies are more greatly disadvantaged; they have no Mother Russia Roll to possibly reinforce their under strength infantry units, and worse, a hand of only four command cards.

The French stepped off all across the field, but took casualties that disheartened them. The Austrian cavalry on the left sided towards the center to protect the artillery there from a French cavalry strike that never materialized. But the Allies themselves were shot to pieces, their remnant units first thwarting the French, but then falling bank everywhere towards their own board edge back across the Goldbach Stream. French cavalry was repelled by 'bounce flags' from Allied squares holding behind Telnetz three times, after the French had taken that town and and advanced past it. Off on the Allied Right, in the woods near Sokolnitz Caste, a Russian battery fired canister until overwhelmed. Then the blue clad troops took all of the building hexes, approaching and then achieving victory.

This is a challenging scenario, and well worth more plays. The final scores for both do not reflect the exciting back and forth that took place. These two also make a satisfying pair to play in sequence, and we enjoyed keeping our players to the same sides for both. Taking 8 and 10 Victory Banners respectively to win, thy are meaty enough for all kinds of maneuvering on either side.

It would seem that these six standard scenarios make an interesting mini campaign. Mr. Borg has recently presented game battles this way, most notably in his recent WWI game The Great War. It is a very satisfying format! In effect it provides the kind of historical follow up not previously seen until the two Memoir 44 Campaign Books came out. And since it will be a long time if ever that we get any for Napoleonics, we get some of their benefits right away!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Standard Format Adventures At Austerlitz
Here's a URL taking you directly to the list of scenarios: http://www.commandsandcolors.net/napoleonics/the-game/game-b...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Moore
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What was the approximate play time on these EPIC scenarios? How does that compare to playtime of a standard scenario? I'm new to the C&C:N world, so just looking to get an idea of feasibility with my play group. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know that anyone has played the Epic scenarios yet. You'd need things for them that will be in the upcoming expansion in December.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Namtabandy wrote:
What was the approximate play time on these EPIC scenarios? How does that compare to playtime of a standard scenario? I'm new to the C&C:N world, so just looking to get an idea of feasibility with my play group. Thanks!

Based on playing two standard scenarios side-by-side with 2 players and also experience of C&C:A EPIC I'd guess at around 2 1/2 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.