$20.00
$60.00
linoleum blownaparte
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
I am designing a civilization game where each new idea your civ develops is associated with a Value. I want the Values to exist in opposing pairs, so that choosing ideas of the same Value will be synergistic for your civ, while choosing ideas with opposing Values will cause conflict inside your civ.

Some of the Value-pairs I've thought of:

Liberty vs Order
Piety vs Rationalism
Innovation vs Tradition

Any ideas? Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Todesco
United States
Chicago Suburbs
Illinois
flag msg tools
Read it again, carefully...
badge
Hey! I bought OverText! I'm cooler than you!
mbmbmbmbmb
The "Civics" from Civ 4 may help you get started:

http://civilization.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_civics_in_Civ4
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
looks like you started right where I would, with civ 5 culture menu lol. I'd suggest checking each civ game as they each handle it a bit differently. Beyond earth has affinities which are three different branches called harmony, supremacy, and purity. Harmony and supremacy might be good enough for your needs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do a Civ design with similar stuff right now (though, according to what you wrote, neither of us needs to worry that it is too similar), and I'd propose stuff that I have:

Pacifistic vs. Militaristic
Isolationistic vs. pluralistic (I realize that word does not really catch the meaning of being open minded toward outsiders, but I am not sure which english word would - anyone care to help out here?)

Subbed for possible mutual inspiration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
linoleum blownaparte
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
AFAI aware the latest Civ uses trees of Military, Commercial, Religious etc. social policies. Not quite what I'm looking for... actually what I want is crosscutting categories, so you could have several military and commercial technologies under the same category "Expansionist" and other religious and cultural techs under the category "Isolationist" etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Stanmyer
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A quick brainstorm led to a few ideas.

Consumerism vs. Austerity

Industrialist vs. Environmentalist

Concrete vs. Figurative or Dreamer vs. Realist--admittedly similar to innovation vs. tradition

Risk-averse vs. Risk-taking

Individualistic vs. Communal

Optimistic vs. Pessimistic

Hope that this helps some!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.