United States
West Decatur
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
At all cost
badge
"Some fights will just get you bloody"
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy the game quite a bit, but haven't been gaming with everything going on. So my question stands: Should I get these two expansions while they're available? What are the pros and cons I might not have thought about here?

I will be gaming much more in the upcoming years, but don't want to miss these if they're deemed worthwhile by the Mage Knight community.

Thanks for your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard to recommend Tezla. I guess it's fine. But playing it once is what made me realize how elegant the rest of the game was. Like, for all its messiness and awkward rules exceptions, it hung together. Tezla was the point where the sprawl started to feel bad for me.

Krang isn't essential, and you can maybe feel the beginning of the sprawl, but I'd say that one's worthwhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeus Cat

Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have both and would say that they are OK. Lost Legions is by far the best of the expansions. Krang is OK, but all you get is one extra mage knight. So a bit expensive for what you get; especially compared to LL.

Tezla has more, but the quality issues make it questionable. If you get a new one that has the right sized tokens then it would say get it. However, if you have to order the replacement tokens I think I would pass on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Reaves
United States
Allison Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The replacement tokens have come faster as of late (I only waited two months), so I wouldn't worry over much about that.

Tezla's main advantage is that it offers shorter scenarios which still pack a narrative wallop; less time where you still reach epic heights. If you play the game a lot but feel like you'd like shorter games from time to time, I think Tezla is worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schoonakker
msg tools
As a fan of the series, especially Lost Legion, I decided to pick up on Tezla as well.

The "avatar" battle is another unique archtype of playing the game, as was Volkare to the standard City assault. It's refreshing and gives you more variation. It's also really, really hard. If you laugh at the 5-8 city levels and defeat Volkare on medium medium with ease, get this one.

Also the faction tokens you get instead of 1 fame for killing enemies add some more dynamics in your options. The enemy tokens are tough as fuck, much harder to defeat for less fame. This feels more like a challenge in the early game and makes the standard concentration swiftness combo even less viable.

The production quality is mediocre at best. Token size is an issue if you intend to mix the tokens with the ones from the base game. If purely playing them with the scenarios from the expansion, no problem at all. Also a new mage knight!

Didnt get Krang, found it to be too much money for just a new character to play. If you've gpt money to spare, I'd take it for completing all the Knight content
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario P
Austria
flag msg tools
I can highly recommend SoT

It adds a lot of great mechanics! You can (and really should) use the new enemy tokens in the standart scenarios. They make the game much more interesting and a also bit harder. 

The faction tokens are OK, they can be really useful.  

Tezlas Avatars are just crazy hard to kill! You can easily use them in the standard conquest scenario. I just roll a die if a city tile is revealed: if i roll gold, i use the elementalist, black: necropolis, color: according city.

A new hero is always good for replayability. 

I do not think that the rules get messy in this expansion. yes there are a lot of extra rules for the scenarios (graveyards , ...), but this are scenario rules! the base game scenarios also have a lot of special rules (e.g. Mines liberation).

the only negative thing: you have to order the replacement kit.

I also can recommend Krang, but he is not a must have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Mario, I think that will help me get off the fence regarding SoT.

Purli92 wrote:

Though I hear the newest printing has the corrected tokens/rulebook/etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Boucher
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Purli92 wrote:

Funny when I mentioned I got Shades of Tezla people were like oh my god components suck and all of that. I finally took time to really examine cards, tokens with my original Mage Knight game and guess what they all matched perfectly. No need to ask for a replacement.

However the most weird part was that for some reason I have Krang character card in there along with a card with all skill token descriptions for some other character. I double checked all cards to make sure I am not missing anything and it seems I have all base cards for that B-guy-whose-name-I-cant-spell so... shrug.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray PG
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
I love Krang, he has one of the coolest abilities of all, you can keep an enemy you defeated (hypnotize him or something) and use him later as this one-shot attack. cool Figure is the best one as well. Only 20 USD/EUR..not too bad to complete the collection, games like Imperial Assault are a lot less kind to your wallet if you want some extra figures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Boberson

North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
barinthus wrote:
Purli92 wrote:

Funny when I mentioned I got Shades of Tezla people were like oh my god components suck and all of that. I finally took time to really examine cards, tokens with my original Mage Knight game and guess what they all matched perfectly. No need to ask for a replacement.

However the most weird part was that for some reason I have Krang character card in there along with a card with all skill token descriptions for some other character. I double checked all cards to make sure I am not missing anything and it seems I have all base cards for that B-guy-whose-name-I-cant-spell so... shrug.

The Krang character card included in Tezla has a back which matches the previous character cards. The original included in the Krang expansion did not match and this was apparently an issue for some folks who like to randomize their character by shuffling these cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Boucher
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bobacles wrote:
barinthus wrote:
Purli92 wrote:

The Krang character card included in Tezla has a back which matches the previous character cards. The original included in the Krang expansion did not match and this was apparently an issue for some folks who like to randomize their character by shuffling these cards.

Ya I was disappointed when I saw my Krang card in the Krang box so I was glad to get new one but I thought it was odd that they included it in the Tezla box. But again I suppose people who would buy Tezla are likely to have already bought Krang.

Whatever, its all good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shappy1010 wrote:
I love Krang, he has one of the coolest abilities of all, you can keep an enemy you defeated (hypnotize him or something) and use him later as this one-shot attack. cool Figure is the best one as well. Only 20 USD/EUR..not too bad to complete the collection, games like Imperial Assault are a lot less kind to your wallet if you want some extra figures.
While I like Krang, and agree that the mini is of a better quality than all of the base game minis, the the Krang expansion is clearly overpriced.

Since you mention IA minis: one of them costs 10 USD. And that would be a fair price for the Krang expansion, as well. Unfortunately, you're paying another 10 USD for the oversized deluxe box it comes in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jochen Wiesner
Germany
Düsseldorf
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmb
Krang's my favorite character to play with a really interesting set of skills. Can't say anything about Tesla except that I skipped that one because of the reviews I read and the bad price/content ratio.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keusch
United States
Ann Arbor
MI
flag msg tools
badge
It's hard to remember we're alive for the first time. It's hard to remember we're alive for the last time.
mbmbmbmbmb
The_Crimson_King wrote:
Krang's my favorite character to play with a really interesting set of skills. Can't say anything about Tesla except that I skipped that one because of the reviews I read and the bad price/content ratio.

Tezla has WAY more content than Krang for about the same price? I would recommend getting them both, but if I could only pick one, then definitely Tezla. As mentioned, it has some sweet scenarios, and the fact that it includes new enemy monsters on top of a new mage knight makes it the clear winner.

The component issue is mostly overblown. The tokens are noticeable when placed directly next to the original tokens, but this is still incomplete information, and the card backs are so close that only a pedant could really be bothered by it in my opinion. When I finally got the replacement cards I went to replace them and decided I couldn't even tell the difference and just left them in shrink.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anatana wrote:
Tezla has WAY more content than Krang for about the same price?

I don't know about the US prices but in Germany I bought Krang for about 20€ and Tezla for 30-35€.

Quote:

The component issue is mostly overblown. The tokens are noticeable when placed directly next to the original tokens, but this is still incomplete information, and the card backs are so close that only a pedant could really be bothered by it in my opinion.

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DanielFirestorm wrote:
I enjoy the game quite a bit, but haven't been gaming with everything going on. So my question stands: Should I get these two expansions while they're available? What are the pros and cons I might not have thought about here?

I will be gaming much more in the upcoming years, but don't want to miss these if they're deemed worthwhile by the Mage Knight community.

Thanks for your help.

No reason (other than your money) to not get them. A lot of people are ragging on and on about the quality of the latest expansion and how the tokens are not identical. My friend fixed that with a simple solution that he should of had from the very beginning. Dice bags for each style of token. You draw the token as you need too only when you can see the exact enemy you are dealing with. So simple, and it saves on setup time by half at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fluxx wrote:
I don't know about the US prices but in Germany I bought Krang for about 20€ and Tezla for 30-35€.
Well, Krang has been released for the German market, while Tezla is currently only available as an import, which may explain the price difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaelen wrote:
Fluxx wrote:
Well, Krang has been released for the German market, while Tezla is currently only available as an import, which may explain the price difference.

I bought Krang in the english version because at that time it was unclear if there would ever be a german version. But I bought it directly from the publisher in Essen while I got Tezla from my FLGS. That could explain the difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jochen Wiesner
Germany
Düsseldorf
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmb
Fluxx wrote:
jhaelen wrote:
Fluxx wrote:

I bought Krang in the english version because at that time it was unclear if there would ever be a german version. But I bought it directly from the publisher in Essen while I got Tezla from my FLGS. That could explain the difference.

It doesn't. In Germany the price difference averages at 20€ for the english Krang to 30€ for the english Tezla, and the german Krang is about the same price than the english one. Still, the argument that Krang is too expensive for what you get holds true. *For me* Krang was well worth the money though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephane Guibord
Canada
Vaudreuil-dorion
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a huge Mage Knight Fan and obviously own all the expansion.

Lost Legion is the best but this is not part of this post.

These expansions are all about diversity. Krang only add a new Mage Knight but he brings interesting powers that help make the game fresh.

Share of Tezla brings more to the table. I like the new Mage Knight (which name escape me right now). It brings new scenario but more important, new enemies.

Are you free to use them for the scenario only or just mix them with the read.

Again, all it does is bring diversity to what is an already great game. If you play a lot of Mage Knight or simply want to have the diversity, I'd go and buy them. They do get reprint over time so I don't think there is an issue with that, although sometimes it can take time between print runs. If you can get both at MSRP or better and enjoy Mage Knight, I'd get them if I was you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.