Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Anderson
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beyond the few small ones that have appeared there is not going to be a major expansion apparently. On Tom Vasel's Dice Tower Q & A of Oct 24 he says he spoke with Rosenberg at Essen about it and he has no intention of doing one. [Go to 34:17 mark]
Too bad, I was hoping for at least one. Still a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd pay good money for an expansion too. Having said that, there's a lot in the base game to keep a gamer happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis de Vries
Netherlands
Deventer
flag msg tools
Ah, doctor, that aneasthetic is perfect!
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember somewhere in a thread that Uwe (or publisher or ?) was willing to look at any idea for an expansion for Caverna, but that they indeed didn't have a large expansion on the agenda.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
2015 Tom Vasel says he has the inside scoop that an expansion is on the way; 2016 he says he has the inside scoop there won't be one.

Okay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I already traded / sold my copy after getting tired of waiting for an expansion. Plus Fields of Arle satisfied the same thing for us, since we only ever played Caverna 2 player. Now we have A Feast for Odin. We'll see how long that lasts in the collection and whether it pushes out Fields of Arle or they both can co-exist.

Still though, my favorite Uwe game to date is Merkator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola was easier to expand because of the cards. Also the point of Farmers of the Moor was to nerf family growth, which is not as dominant of a strategy in Caverna because of dwarf advancement.

Caverna is already a longer game and any expansion that adds point salad options or a few more turns to the game wouldn't improve the experience for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, this was Uwe himself talking about a card-based expansion about a year ago.

Together with the fans we can try it. I could make cards, but I don't have the time to test them as it is necessary to do it.

He's a busy guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Speicher
United States
Potomac Falls
VIRGINIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what i'd like to see is some sort of card/tile system that directs your focus a bit more than the sandbox nature, where it makes the game have a different setup each time. which is why people prefer agricola the variability of the different cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Canada
Niagara Region & Buffalo
Onatrio & New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This one looks pretty good. I'm going to try it soon:

Variable Player Powers: Races
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Di Silvio
Austria
Wien
Wien
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love and own Caverna! It used to be my favorite game, but after 3+ years without any expansion and 60+ plays I saw everything the game offers. I still like it a lot, but I don't feel like bringing it to the table that often anymore, because part of my enjoyment came from the desire of exploring a new strategy, a new path... and now I can't do that.

I would buy an expansion in a heartbeat, if only they would release one. Also I really don't understand why they don't. This game has done really well and A LOT OF PEOPLE want more for this title. They are basically just passing on sure money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AlasDemigod wrote:
Also I really don't understand why they don't. This game has done really well and A LOT OF PEOPLE want more for this title. They are basically just passing on sure money.

tumorous wrote:
He's a busy guy.

A large Caverna expansion could be fun, but Uwe and friends can only do so much. If he would rather continue putting his time and effort into releases like Fields of Arle, Patchwork, and A Feast for Odin, I won't be complaining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VolleyGame wrote:
This one looks pretty good. I'm going to try it soon:

Variable Player Powers: Races

This is the only way I play Caverna now. There were some balance issues in the first few iterations, but BGG input has ironed those out nicely. My plays have all been fairly close.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Paris

Monforte de Lemos
LUGO
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
AlasDemigod wrote:
Also I really don't understand why they don't. This game has done really well and A LOT OF PEOPLE want more for this title. They are basically just passing on sure money.

tumorous wrote:
He's a busy guy.

A large Caverna expansion could be fun, but Uwe and friends can only do so much. If he would rather continue putting his time and effort into releases like Fields of Arle, Patchwork, and A Feast for Odin, I won't be complaining.

My guess is that Uwe is moving away from Lookout. Last year he released Hengist through them, which looks like it was just a contractual obligation the year after the buyout since it was based on some old idea he had and the lookout staff developed it themselves. This year, he's done another big release through his new company Feuerland and then put out a smaller game with the new team that's never done anything before - He published nothing with Lookout so perhaps the contractual obligations are over now.

He had mentioned he was interested in making cards for Caverna so its not that he hasn't thought of a way to expand it and it's a commercially successful game so business logic suggests an expansion but instead we hear that Fields of Arle is the game getting an expansion in 2017 (news which I LOVE.) Fields of ARle of course is published by his new company Feuerland.

If this conjecture is right then we won't be seeing much more love put into the Patchwork game either. It's a new era for Uwe with a new company and my bet is that his games through Feuerland will be the ones that get his attention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Sperling
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeesh! So now I'm going to have to go to a third party vendor to get the pieces for an eighth player?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Di Silvio
Austria
Wien
Wien
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:

I guess, but the good thing about expansions is that you can easily rely on other designers to do a lot of the work. This is also how things have been handled with many expansions for Agricola and I don't see why this shouldn't work for Caverna as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
Love this game. A 10 rating for me. And I'd lovr an expansion also. The little ones that pop up as promos don't quite cut it, but they are fun at times.

One idea for an expansion would simply be to recreate the action boards. Add new base decisions and new cards to be turned over each turn. No new buildings (not sure how much more could be done there that would be different enough and yet still viable). New action boards with new cards could change the game a tremendous amount and still keep the flavor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
juan c marquez
Mexico
ZAPOPAN
JALISCO
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Would be great to have an expansion! I have only played 2p with my wife and she usually goes for the same tiles always (extra dwarf, and broom chamber). After 10 plays I got bored, in agrícola the cards help mitigate issue of going for same strategy. Maybe with more players there is more blocking that prevents you from going for same strategy, but 2p the game is to wide open so you can play the same way always.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
I play mostly 2 player myself. It's relatively quick if you use Planos for set up/take down. We always try to get points using different strategies. We have a few that we have a good idea will net us good points, but generally the opponent can get in the way while still winning.

We found there were 2 ways to play. Dual solitaire - where we both try to get the most points possible and deliberately choose different paths to allow for points. This is fun, but meh. And then competitive...where we just aim to win and don't care about points so long as we have more than our opponent at game end. In this manner the 2 player games are almost always fresh. its a very different game if you play to win vs. just playing to see who can get the most poinst executing their own paths. Sounds the same, but competitive playing requires a lot of careful give and take. You nee to be sure you take more than you give. Even if that means you're not getting the most points possible so long as you're denying your opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
* J *
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
FWIW, this was Uwe himself talking about a card-based expansion about a year ago.

Together with the fans we can try it. I could make cards, but I don't have the time to test them as it is necessary to do it.

He's a busy guy.

I was excited when I read this, so it's disappointing that Uwe hasn't yet followed through. Perhaps he will though, now Feast is out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.