$15.00
$5.00
Funagain Games
United States
Ashland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to go out on a limb here and speak for all the vendors at BGG Con.

Please call your credit card(s) and tell them you will be attending a convention. It will prevent a lot of credit card issues while at the show.

When the vendors run your card it doesn't think that all of the purchases you are making are in Dallas, it thinks you are in the home state of the company running your card.

If you have breakfast in the morning and use your card, you're in Texas, then you go to Stronghold and buy some games and you're in New York, then you come to Funagain and you're in Oregon. Then your credit card stops working because you've just magically traveled all over the country in under 2 hours.

Even local Texas/Dallas people have this issue, so please call ahead of time and let them know. It will save all of the vendors, and all of the buyers, a headache of having to have you call that minute to resolve the issues.

Hopefully a hot tip to help make your con-going life a bit less hectic!

-Nick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Seconded from another vendor. I've seen Square make a lot of credit card denials at Origins and Gen Con, most likely for this reason.

I tell people to check their emails or texts for a fraud alert notification; once they reply to the notification, the credit card is fine again. You can also call your bank to clear it up.

But if you have a few minutes now, it's a good way to make sure you don't get this pretty little inconvenience during the show, especially if you're trying to purchase the last game in stock!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmb
I travel a lot and have never done this (including attending many BGGCONs in the past and purchasing games from vendors). And my credit card company never flags legitimate charges I make. They have, however, identified fraudulent charges though multiple times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Funagain Games
United States
Ashland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
I travel a lot and have never done this (including attending many BGGCONs in the past and purchasing games from vendors). And my credit card company never flags legitimate charges I make. They have, however, identified fraudulent charges though multiple times.

Then you have a very forgiving credit card bank.

Some are not so forgiving. Last year we probably had 30 issues on the first day alone all because of the random charges people were putting on their card from all over the country within a matter of hours.

-Nick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Brubakken
United States
Topeka
KS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This happens to me all the time. I'll buy something from a vendor who is based in Dallas, and then another a few minutes later with a vendor based in Denver.

The transactions go through, but I'll get a call from fraud protection, after, but once I verify the transactions I'm good to charge again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two years ago I stopped at a liquor store on the way out of town to pick up a couple of bottles of scotch. I drove up to Dallas and tried to check into my room and my card was denied by my bank. I was able to straighten everything out with them in about an hour, but that was one less hour of sleep that I got that year
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Coe
United States
Spanish Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyOffice wrote:
Two years ago I stopped at a liquor store on the way out of town to pick up a couple of bottles of scotch. I drove up to Dallas and tried to check into my room and my card was denied by my bank. I was able to straighten everything out with them in about an hour, but that was one less hour of sleep that I got that year

Did the liquor help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
mb
How did it come to this? Back in the day, when most people used cash or checks, credit card companies were trying to get in on some sweet, sweet debt. What could they offer that cash couldn't?

So they hammered on the fact that carrying cash when traveling was dangerous. If you're traveling, they argued, use us, it'll be great!

Fast forward to today: Traveling? No, we can't help with that. It is now up to YOU to put up with denials and hassle in order to protect the profits of the credit card company. I know exactly how we got here: corporations now determine exactly how you will use their products for their maximum benefit--no benefits should accrue to the customer.

Disheartening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Rhodes
msg tools
Bigger on the Outside
mbmbmbmbmb
professorguy wrote:
How did it come to this? Back in the day, when most people used cash or checks, credit card companies were trying to get in on some sweet, sweet debt. What could they offer that cash couldn't?

So they hammered on the fact that carrying cash when traveling was dangerous. If you're traveling, they argued, use us, it'll be great!

Fast forward to today: Traveling? No, we can't help with that. It is now up to YOU to put up with denials and hassle in order to protect the profits of the credit card company. I know exactly how we got here: corporations now determine exactly how you will use their products for their maximum benefit--no benefits should accrue to the customer.

Disheartening.

This seems needlessly preachy. Let's take the advice of the OP and move on. What's the negative side of making a 2 minute call to prevent some hassle down the road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kingston
United States
The Woodlands
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm sorry Smokey. You were over the line.
badge
Too many games, too little time!
mbmbmbmbmb
professorguy wrote:

Disheartening.

Would you rather be on the hook for fraudulent charges? Back in the day it was less likely someone else could get a hold of your CC number but with all of our internet transactions these days it's not uncommon.

Just over a week ago I got a text from my CC company that my card had been used at a store in Dallas, I live north of Houston, they asked me to confirm that I'd made the charge. It took 2 seconds to reply 'no' to the text and they immediately cancelled the card, credited back the charge, opened an investigation and sent me a new card. Soooo much easier than having to catch that myself on a statement sometime in the future.

I don't mind them protecting me financially. I get why these safe guards are in place and if all I need to do is answer a text or place a quick call to prevent future hassle or delay I'm happy to do it.

I appreciate the tip too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Funagain Games
United States
Ashland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
professorguy wrote:

Disheartening.

For the record we gladly accept cash.

-Nick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Rhodes
msg tools
Bigger on the Outside
mbmbmbmbmb
Funagain Games wrote:

For the record we gladly accept cash.

-Nick

It is king.
Though we live in a democracy. Maybe it should be President...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, we live in a Constitutional Republic and a Representative Democracy. Some refer to it as a Democratic Republic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Digren K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't have an American Express, consider applying for one. Rather than make you report your travels to them ahead of time, they rely on notifications to you. I get a text message seconds after my card is used for an international purchase (such as when I'm in Shanghai paying my hotel bill) or large purchase (over $200 IIRC) or any purchase where the card was not present (online). Other than that? No restrictions, never set to auto decline, but you're still not liable at all for any fraudulent purchase. The days of my credit card provider treating me like parents treat their high school kids are long gone.

(I am not associated with American Express or any company that provides their cards in any way. And yes, I carry a non-Amex for the rare but non-zero times I find someplace that doesn't take Amex. Strangely enough, I have never needed to use the backup card internationally, because everyplace I have been has always taken American Express.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.