Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game» Forums » General

Subject: Good for 2 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark R
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Is this game good when there are just 2 players? I've heard that there are objective cards that ask players to go against the other team members, rather than help them. Do people normally take these out when it's just 2 players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Tadley
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but only if you play the 'Prisoners Dilemma' variant

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1232597/leave-it-all-behind...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say the 2 player variant isn't that great. 4 or 5 players is the sweet spot, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lemieux
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it with 2 players without issues and have had a good time. When I play with only 2 I don't deal out any hidden traitors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Gass
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The game can function as a pure co-op but I personally feel it's best when you play with secret objectives. In a 2 player game the only good way to use secret objectives is with the variant posted above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are many other better co-ops for 2p other than this, though I REALLY enjoyed it with 5p and I normally don't care for 5p games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark R
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What other coop 2 player games would you recommend? Interested to know! I have Pandemic, Forbidden Desert & Robinson Crusoe at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Sena
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Zombicide Black Plague works great for 2p (Both people control 3 characters each). My gf and I actually prefer it 2p since there is a lot less downtime then playing it with more.

The other Zombicide games work too, but the player dashboards in BP make controlling multiple characters a lot easier then in previous versions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lemieux
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mansions of Madness: Second Edition is decent with 2 players, better with 3 or 4, but it works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Robinson Crusoe with 2p. As Steve said, ZBP is great with 2p handling 3 characters each and that's something I usually detest - managing multiple characters, but ZBP does a great job as the dashboards are too sweet.

Eldritch Horror is another one that I love with 2p and I know it's recommended to play with 2 characters each, but winning is just that much sweeter with just 2 characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Robison
United States
Lynden
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was skeptical about the 2-player Prisoners Dilemma variant, but I gave it a shot. It's not as good as a 3-4 player game, but it's really not bad at all and one I would gladly play again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Albano
United States
Bloomfield
NJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's perfectly fine as a two player game. My boyfriend and I play it completely co-op and love it.

It has more interesting decisions than most other co-ops you'd might otherwise play. It's immersive, interesting, dynamic, and fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerdy Octopus
United States
flag msg tools
This game seems to not get a lot of love for the 2 player variant. I'll throw in my two cents and say that I really love this game as a 2 player. I mostly play 2 player games and I enjoy the entire feel and play of this game quite a bit. I was discouraged from playing it for awhile because of all the negative 2 player reviews. I figured we would try it anyway and I'm glad we did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason McManus
United States
Saraland
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Me and my wife play it 2 players and it is one of her favorite games. We use the secret objective cards and just leave out the traitor cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete aka The Masked Minstrel
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I played it first as a two player game, we left out secret objectives and traitor cards and played it as pure co-op.

Not the ideal way to play but still do able and was fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.