Hide
5 Posts

Dominion» Forums » Variants

Subject: Potions and Curse Tokens rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Williams
msg tools
I play this game either way too much or not enough.

It seems that curse tokens or something that subtracts victory points but are not in your hand would be a cool avenue. And i know it would never happen, but a way to make Potions more usable would be to allow you to spend one potion to flip a curse token to a victory point. you could even do it for the different denominations of VP tokens. So you could flip a 2 or 5 curse for a 2 or 5 VP, but of course there is the risk you don't get it done in time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brooks Child
United States
Arlington
VA
flag msg tools
mb
These are the droids you are looking for...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam (Away/AFK)
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from General to Variants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with curse tokens is they're functionally too similar to giving +1 VPs to other players instead. For example, say I had a card which was an attack that gave 1 curse token to each other player. Say, it cost $4 and also gave +$2 on play. This is functionally identical to Monument except it's an attack my opponents can react to - since I get $2 and a net difference of a 1 VP lead from playing it. Or as another example, say I had a powerful ability that gave me curse tokens. Well, that could just give VP tokens to opponents instead, but most likely that effect would be hard to balance anyway.

There are potential niche things they could do that VP tokens don't, but it's just not an interesting enough design space. And if you want to have cards that interact with curse tokens already in play, then you need them to also be giving them out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I Eat Tables wrote:
The problem with curse tokens is they're functionally too similar to giving +1 VPs to other players instead. For example, say I had a card which was an attack that gave 1 curse token to each other player. Say, it cost $4 and also gave +$2 on play. This is functionally identical to Monument except it's an attack my opponents can react to - since I get $2 and a net difference of a 1 VP lead from playing it. Or as another example, say I had a powerful ability that gave me curse tokens. Well, that could just give VP tokens to opponents instead, but most likely that effect would be hard to balance anyway.

There are potential niche things they could do that VP tokens don't, but it's just not an interesting enough design space. And if you want to have cards that interact with curse tokens already in play, then you need them to also be giving them out.

If other players except for 1 can deflect the Curse token, then it's not the same thing as that player just gaining +1 VP token.

Otherwise, you could explore things like getting rid of VP token for a penalty, like with those 2 Adventure player tokens.

I wouldn't say there's not enough design space, but I'm guessing there are bigger fish to fry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.