Popular Tags: HitS [+] [View All]
Daniel Spaniel
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had played through this game about five or six times with two different opponents. With one of my opponents, we had played our first game incorrectly, starting field battles at the zero marker instead of the one (or more if a sword dictated). Our first game had more battles being initiated, more decisive battles and incentive for either player to wage a second battle when another was ongoing.

A difference of 1 doesn't seem that large, but for our games it has meant more battles which is ideally what we'd like to see. One of my opponents said that over the last four games, he'd enjoyed the game significantly less each play because of the lack of incentive to initiate combat and the ensuing inactivity.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
From your post I'm not sure if you're having issues with the standard field battle rules or the optional rules. In either case, I will let others comment and merely observe for now.

What I will say is that in early playtesting I did discover that there was too much stagnation in battle, with lots of resulting draws. Using a spreadsheet to assist me, I realized that I had too many swords baked into the original cards. Originally each side had 8 swords in their starting deck. I significantly reduced the number of swords, and that resulted in much more dynamic game play.

It did have one side effect, though, and that was to cause games to end early due to prestige points. Consequently, the prestige track was increased from its original 6 to the 8 that you have now. I mention this because "more battles", that you say you want, will probably cause games to end earlier than you would like.

Also keep in mind that the frustration that you feel was felt historically by both the major players. I cite Polybius, book 1, chapter 57:

Quote:
For as in a boxing-match when two champions, both distinguished for pluck and both in perfect training, meet in the decisive contest for the prize, continually delivering blow for blow, neither the combatants themselves nor the spectators can note or anticipate every attack or every blow, 2 but it is possible, from the general action of each, and the determination that each displays, to get a fair idea of their respective skill, strength, and courage, so it was with these two generals. 3 The causes or the modes of their daily ambuscades, counter-ambuscades, attempts, and assaults were so numerous that no writer could properly describe them, while at the same time the narrative would be most tedious as well as unprofitable to the reader. 4 It is rather by a general pronouncement about the two men and the result of their rival efforts that a notion of the facts p159can be conveyed. 5 Nothing was neglected; neither traditional tactics nor plans suggested by the occasion and by actual pressure of circumstances, nor those strokes which depend on a bold and strong initiative. 6 Yet there were several reasons why no decisive success could be obtained. For the forces on each side were evenly matched; their trenches were so strong as to be equally unapproachable, and the camps were at a quite small distance from each other, 7 this being the chief reason why there were daily conflicts at certain points, but no decisive engagement. 8 The losses in these combats consisted only of those who fell in the hand-to‑hand fighting, while the side which once gave way used to get out of danger at once behind their defences, from whence they would issue again and resume the fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Where the heck did this interest in WW1 come from?
badge
Ashwin in thoughtful mood
mb

IIRC you can only have one battle going at a time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashiefan wrote:

IIRC you can only have one battle going at a time.

You could potentially have two battles going on at a time, one that you initiated and one that your opponent initiated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.