Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Piovezan
Brazil
Jundiaí
SP
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it pronounced DAmyo, daMAYo, daMEEo, damayO, dameeO, or something else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I like to think of it as /da'meo/ (in IPA) (= dah-MEH-oh in informal internet forum English pseudo-notation), since that's how it would be in both Polish and Esperanto orthography.

But I sometimes wonder if it has an accent on the first syllable instead of the second.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
russ wrote:
I like to think of it as /da'meo/ (in IPA) (= dah-MEH-oh in informal internet forum English pseudo-notation), since that's how it would be in both Polish and Esperanto orthography.

But I sometimes wonder if it has an accent on the first syllable instead of the second.

No, you were perfectly right (insofar as I might have a say in it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh. I've always accented the first syllable.

Incidentally, where does that name come from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
tckoppang wrote:

I'm curious too, but I suspect that it's no coincidence that the Dutch name for Checkers is AFAIK "Dammen" (or "Damspel").

(Checkers is "Damludo" (or "Dam-ludo") in Esperanto, and "eo" is the 2-letter ISO 639-1 language code for Esperanto. But I suspect that this is just coincidence.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
russ wrote:
tckoppang wrote:

I'm curious too, but I suspect that it's no coincidence that the Dutch name for Checkers is AFAIK "Dammen" (or "Damspel").

(Checkers is "Damludo" (or "Dam-ludo") in Esperanto, and "eo" is the 2-letter ISO 639-1 language code for Esperanto. But I suspect that this is just coincidence.)

There's the Checkers/Draughts issue and when I had made 'HexDraughts' I didn't like the sound of it. I decided for 'HexDame' instead. The Chess queen is called 'Dame' in Dutch, and a Draughts king is called a 'Dam'. So I didn't stroll all that much. Strolling even less I decided for 'Dameo' when the game had presented itself, just adding the 'o'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Moore
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
christianF wrote:
russ wrote:

Wait... does "MEH" mean May or meh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
orangeblood wrote:
christianF wrote:
russ wrote:

Wait... does "MEH" mean May or meh?

I sure don't write it to mean "May". (I'd write "May" in that case.)

IPA is much better than bonkers English orthography for trying to unambiguously represent pronunciation. Even the exact same text in English can have various pronunciations depending on the intended meaning of a word (e.g. is the first or the second syllable of "record" accented? I record a record...) Not to mention significant dialect differences, e.g. "typical" US vs UK pronunciation...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Piovezan
Brazil
Jundiaí
SP
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, guys!

I though about using IPA, but a lot of people wouldn't get it. Now that I think about it, what I did is not much better. So, if anyone's still wondering, it's pronounced pretty much like this (just click on the speaker icon on the left side).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
BozoDel wrote:
Thanks, guys!

I though about using IPA, but a lot of people wouldn't get it. Now that I think about it, what I did is not much better. So, if anyone's still wondering, it's pronounced pretty much like this (just click on the speaker icon on the left side).

Here emphasis is on the first part (Dameo) whereas actually (or rather, as I meant it) it is on the second (Dameo).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Piovezan
Brazil
Jundiaí
SP
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
christianF wrote:
BozoDel wrote:
Thanks, guys!

Here emphasis is on the first part (Dameo) whereas actually (or rather, as I meant it) it is on the second (Dameo).

I must be be nuts, cause I hear an emphasis on the "me". Are you sure you clicked on the left speaker symbol?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
BozoDel wrote:
christianF wrote:
BozoDel wrote:
Thanks, guys!

I must be be nuts, cause I hear an emphasis on the "me". Are you sure you clicked on the left speaker symbol?

I'm sure I didn't - just saw a speaker symbol and clicked it. Now however that oversight has been put right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.