Hide
3 Posts

Terra Mystica» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Magic Carpet Ride rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis Walker
msg tools
This past Sunday in our FTF group I won a four-player TM game with the Fakirs. Many, but not all, of the Fakir-favorable conditions discussed in some Fakir strategy posts were present. I'm a new poster here on BGG. I don't know the codes for the various TM tiles and things so I apologize for having to write them all out. Also please don't crucify me too bad if this was supposed to be posted in strategy rather than session summary. I wasn't sure and this seemed to be more of a description of a specific game set of conditions unlikely to be generally repeatable.

We were on the original map. The Network victory condition was most settlements (most connected but not directly adjacent buildings/ groups). Which duh was a major factor in my choice of Fakirs. The player bonus tiles NOT in play were optional boat bonus, trading post, and priest. That's right, no priest tile but I got by without it. The turn bonus tiles in order were dwellings, the optional temple/priest tile, dwellings, trading posts, big buildings, and trading posts. So, very helpfully to Fakirs, no city bonus tile.

I was last in turn order which was also a big factor in my picking Fakirs. Our FTF group uses a house rule variant to increase the variety of factions played. Each player draws three tiles blind from the bag, drops them onto the board, and picks from the three face up. The first player took Yetis, despite the lack of a priest tile. Her other viable choice, Darklings, would also have been hurt by the missing priest. She chose to play the Yetis on Green, mostly to foreclose Witches coming in. Second player chose Mermaids as her best option and the third player chose Alchemists.

So when one of my three choices was Fakirs I took them in the context of knowing that the other three players were on green, blue, and black, leaving yellow looking very good, no pesky Halflings or Chaos Magicians etc. Also I knew I'd get first choice of player bonus tile, and I'd get to place initial dwellings after the other three. That turned out to let me get two neighbors at start (Mermaids and Alchemists). Neither of my start locations had enough room for the kind of transforming/ building expansion you'd need in a more standard game, but I didn't care a bit. I knew this was going to be all about airpower for the Fakirs and in fact for the whole game I never built directly adjacent to myself.

For the first turn I took the big building bonus tile. I knew I was gong to build the SH immediately and I would need the cubes. I've read various opinions on the value (and obscene COST) of the SH to Fakirs. For me in this game at least the strategy was going to be pretty simple: carpet bombing. Despite the round one dwelling bonus I built only the TP then SH. This let me pass in time to get the cult bump/4 coin tile, which had five coins on it, and enough cubes and income that I was able to get to a temple on turn two. Of course I took the 2 vp per dwelling favor.

After that I was set. Income of two priests per turn. Fly around and drop dwellings for six points each. Except that on turn three, with the dwelling turn bonus they were worth eight points each baby. The turn one SH gave me five priests over the game, and the turn two temple gave me four more. I also took a priest for five power once (ouch). With those ten priests I did nine carpet drops and spent one priest on cult.

It was very nice that nobody else wanted any yellow spaces, which were far from them on the wheel. They occasionally got in each others way, but not mine. I dropped right in amongst or next to them pretty much at will, giving me lots of neighbors to generate some power off of. Usually not much power, because I mostly had only dwellings out there, but therefore, mostly free power. Still as you might expect with Fakirs I didn't do all that much with power. That was mostly for the other players to fight over. Usually my income was two priests and a bunch of cubes, which was really all I needed to drop a couple dwellings a turn. I got some money from the tiles too.

The Yetis and the Alchemists ended up with two cities each which got them some nice points and stuff but no network help. The Mermaids didn't expand much but got one city. There was a clear shortage of priests in the game and the other three players used a lot of the priests they did get for shovel improvement and boat building which of course I did neither of. Toward the end of the game they fought amongst themselves on the blue, brown and white cult tracks. I only ever spent one priest on the cults, but I made it count, for 3 red. I also got my Sanctuary out on turn five for the five bonus points and took the 3 red favor tile and ended up winning the red track.

I only needed to take a spade action twice. Other than the SH and the temple that I later upgraded to Sanctuary I nearly exclusively only built dwellings. I built one TP on the last round for the turn six bonus points and to get a dwelling back for one more airdrop. Oh and I managed to get the dwelling bonus point tile for the last round and ended with eight dwellings, nice.

I finished with eleven separate settlements, Yetis second at five. Mermaids two and Alchemists one (he was not connected). Final score Fakirs 138, Yetis 130, Alchemists broke 100 and Mermaids fourth.

So yeah I know, this set of conditions was pretty much a perfect storm for Fakirs. Which did not mar my enjoyment of victory in the slightest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice to hear that Fakirs can do well even on the original map. But I do wonder how well the other players played.

That setup sounds really nothing like what I would want in order to pick Fakirs, and a score of 138 is absolutely nothing special - especially with an extra final scoring tile in the game. Still, I often enough get less than that (I've even gone sub-100 on more than one occasion, despite an extra scoring tile ) - and Fakirs are of course a very poor faction, so you still did pretty well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Walker
msg tools

Thanks. I'm curious what conditions you would want, to consider Fakirs. I played them once before, on the modified original map. On that map, I found that Fakirs can get by with skipping one space vs. two, so I built two TE instead of SH/TE, saving me two men and five coins early and getting an extra favor. That game had a faction on brown (Ice Maidens), and was won by probably our strongest player as Mermaids with both boat tiles in play. I got no points from network and built no cities yet finished only three points behind first place. Which I think is really kind of a testament to carpet flight and why I was willing to try them again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.