United States
West Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's some thoughts I had for undead units and their master:

Undead units are bold and never retreat from non-magical combat.
Undead units don't contribute to the support of other units.
All flags against undead units (after the one ignored due to boldness) count as hits.

The following Cleric spells can be used against undead units:
- Heal: Roll 1d/Level, destroys 1 figure + 1 per Lore rolled
- Blinding Light: if targeted against one unit then that unit is forced to retreat one hex per level of the caster
- Healing Mist: If targeted against an undead army roll 2d / level + 3d and for each Lore rolled, destroy one figure of an undead unit. For each banner color rolled, destroy one figure of a matching color undead unit. A maximum of one unit may be destroyed in any unit regardless of the die results. All undead units battle at -1d for their entire next turn.

Skeleton
Green Foot Unit
Immune to archery

Zombie
Blue Foot Unit
For each hit paired with a rolled lore the figure killed is added to the zombie unit as an additional zombie, even if this exceeds the original size of the unit.

Ghoul
Red Foot Unit
Non-undead units adjancent to a Ghoul unit (enemy or "friendly") are frightened.
Figures killed by a ghoul unit are consumed and cannot be restored (e.g. with the cleric Heal spell). Ghouls do not gain ground.

Necromancer (dark cleric)
You must have a Necromancer on your War Council in order to control the undead, and you can have no more than two undead units per level of Necromancer.

Spells (incomplete):
1 - Leech Lore
One lore per level is transferred from you opponent to you.

2 - Chill
Target rolls at -1d for remainder of turn as they feel the icy grip of the grave

3 - Raise
Roll 1d/level. For each lore one figure of target unit is raised from the dead, to a maximum of the starting strength of the unit.

7 - Death Grip
Played in reaction to enemy Command Card. 1 unit/Level + 2 units selected by the Necromancer are unable to respond to orders this turn (can't move, can't attack).

8 - Call of the Grave
All figures killed by undead units this turn are added to that undead unit

9 - Through the Underworld
One unit is moved up to 2 hexes/level, ignoring terrain and intervening units, to a vacant hex. Once there, if orderd, it may move and attack as normal.

10 - Finger of Death
Roll 1d/level + 1d against target unit. Flags are retreats and all else is a hit.

[Edited to expand on boldness and flag rolls]
[Edited to add to blog]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds cool, would be fun to have counter cleric spells such as turn_undead and the like.
-
j

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Brooks
United States
West Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darlok wrote:
Sounds cool, would be fun to have counter cleric spells such as turn_undead and the like.
-
j

I tried to incorporate that idea with the extensions to the cleric spells near the top, but you could certainly take it further.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Rodriguez
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
beehive23 wrote:
Here's some thoughts I had for undead units and their master:

Undead units are bold and never retreat from non-magical combat.
Undead units don't contribute to the support of other units.
All flags against undead units (after the one ignored due to boldness) count as hits.

I like these. Simple and effective distinguishing rules for undead.

beehive23 wrote:
The following Cleric spells can be used against undead units:
- Heal: Roll 1d/Level, destroys 1 figure + 1 per Lore rolled
- Blinding Light: if targeted against one unit then that unit is forced to retreat one hex per level of the caster
- Healing Mist: If targeted against an undead army roll 2d / level + 3d and for each Lore rolled, destroy one figure of an undead unit. For each banner color rolled, destroy one figure of a matching color undead unit. A maximum of one unit may be destroyed in any unit regardless of the die results. All undead units battle at -1d for their entire next turn.

Always fun to turn the effect of healing spells against undead.

beehive23 wrote:
Skeleton
Green Foot Unit
Immune to archery

Perfect, especially since all the archer units are green and the only bow-armed undead I've ever seen in the genre are skeletons.

beehive23 wrote:
Zombie
Blue Foot Unit
For each hit paired with a rolled lore the figure killed is added to the zombie unit as an additional zombie, even if this exceeds the original size of the unit.

I like the mechanism for raising more dead. Would the lore you paired still provide you with a token? Lastly, the background on zombies usually shows them as being slow units. The rule you gave the ghouls for not gaining ground should go here.

beehive23 wrote:
Ghoul
Red Foot Unit
Non-undead units adjancent to a Ghoul unit (enemy or "friendly") are frightened.
Figures killed by a ghoul unit are consumed and cannot be restored (e.g. with the cleric Heal spell). Ghouls do not gain ground.

Nice, just remove the do not gain ground limitation.

beehive23 wrote:
Necromancer (dark cleric)
You must have a Necromancer on your War Council in order to control the undead, and you can have no more than two undead units per level of Necromancer.

Very nice. I'd like to add some thoughts on Necro-spells, but later. I'll comment on yours then too.

As to additional units:

Mounted Skeleton
Green Cavalry Unit
Immune to archery

Undead Knight
Blue Cavalry Unit
A spiffy rule like lores rolled count as flags, no token gain though.

Undead Chariot
Immune to archery (if one sees these as skeletal chariots)
A different rule (I can't come up with one now)

Good night

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Brooks
United States
West Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
callidusx3 wrote:
beehive23 wrote:
Zombie
Blue Foot Unit

I like the mechanism for raising more dead. Would the lore you paired still provide you with a token? Lastly, the background on zombies usually shows them as being slow units. The rule you gave the ghouls for not gaining ground should go here.

You wouldn't receive a lore token for the rolls used up by this ability. Any extras would generate a token.

callidusx3 wrote:
beehive23 wrote:
Ghoul
Red Foot Unit

Nice, just remove the do not gain ground limitation.

Thanks for the feedback. My thinking was that Zombies gain ground because they are relentless (and pretty much mindless) in their attack. Ghouls stop to consume their victims and so wouldn't immediately pursue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls