13 Posts

Codex: Card-Time Strategy – Deluxe Set» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Is Lich's Bargain any good? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried experimenting with Lich's Bargain but it just seems so terrible! I mean granted you get 6/6 worth of meat on the board for only 2 gold on THAT turn. The actual cost of that card is very severe.

Trashing your own worker is absolutely brutal. Cost alone make Lich's Bargain actually 2 cards and 3 gold for 6/6 worth of meat. And then you are down a worker for the rest of the game probably costing you 5+ gold over the course of the game. The base damage is probably negligible I suppose.

Maybe I just wasn't playing rushdown well, but it seemed so difficult to actually push through and do real damage with these cards. The Zombie and Skeleton both die to pretty much anything. The horror has some staying power but usually just trades.

Does anyone have some tips on how to make sure of this spell?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Combine it with Blooming Ancient.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am speaking from a monoblack context.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its purpose is to have the skeleton and zombie to patrol to protect the 3/3 deathtouch to pass an impassable patrol leader (like a Ardra's Boulder backed by a Mythmaking) on opponent side on next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Christensen
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It used to have a ton of possibilities as an all in spell. Not sure if that is still possible now.

I like using it on turns when I'd tech up. On the turn you get 8 or 10 workers you build the applicable tech building and then drop LB to get a bunch of blockers for cheap to keep your tech building alive.

I especially like this when going for tech III because that building is so expensive. This plan doesn't work if you're going for Zarramonde unless you float a gold (floating two gold would be preferable).

Deathtouch is stong and a great ability for trading up. LB is one of Black's two instances of Deathtouch. It combos well with Skeletal Lord as well. Drop Skeletal Lord and the card summons 7/7 worth of power. Not only that it can really help ramp up to using Skeletal Lords 5 skeleton ability with out warning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
I only played the game twice, but it was the card that won my second game. Green rushed early on, while I teched, and he had lots of big baddies on his side. Lich's Bargain and Sacrifice the Weak cleared the way for the Deathtouch Horror, he killed my opponent's teched-up hero, and from then on I was able to overwhelm him because I just produced units faster than him.

Without Lich's Bargain, he'd just have overrun me. To me, it's a cool card for gaining a short-term boost at mid-term downsides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's great! The first time I played black, I teched two Lich's bargain, happened to draw them both in the same turn, AND the first time it was possible to draw them. I won in a blowout. I think Lich's bargain is a real threat that an opponent needs to be on the lookout to be prepared for, because if you cast it fast and quick you can really dominate. In this game, the fist turn I had cast the upgrade that gives skeletons ranged, this was really helpful too, to give those skeletons board control power on top of numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonid G
Russia
flag msg tools
mb
In monoblack context Lich's Bargain is a big move, around which you form your long-term strategy. (As opposed to flexible cards which are good most of the time) You NEVER tech Lich's Bargain UNLESS you really know what you are doing - it is a big commitment!

Lich's Bargain early: All-In on T3-T4. Risky, but capable of countering a number of turtling openers which other all-ins have a hard time with (like aforementioned Ardra's Boulder).

Lich's Bargain in midgame: I've never personally tried to cover TechII / TechIII building with it as mentioned above, but saw it performed in PbF games with reasonable success.

Lich's Bargain in lategame: When you have 10+ workers, the game is not likely to last very long, so losing a worker is not that much of a disaster. In this context Lich's Bargain is a source of 1 strong unit and 2 fodder units within 1 card for cheap. Sometimes your opponent's weakness is specifically token spam (i.e. he plays very few very big dudes, think Feral or Demons), and LB is a good source of that.

You rarely play more than 1 Lich's Bargain per game, and (almost)never more than two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Fedora
Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto
flag msg tools
Broadly speaking, I think it's a pretty safe rule of thumb to say that in Codex, the answer to "is ___ any good?" is "it depends, but definitely yes in the right situations"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last weekend my friend was first player and got a double Lich's Bargain on turn 3. Can I tell you I was not prepared to face 6 units + 1 hero on turn 3. Because the patrol zone is full, so I can't get ride of the hero or the Horrors. Then on following turn, if I defend with small units, his small units get ride of them and he get to my tech building. If I defend with big unit, his Horror Deathtouch get ride of them and the small units get ride of my tech building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replys. I am going to have to try it out... Double bargain on turn 3 I kinda like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Fletcher
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just don't try this against Purple (specifically Stewardess of the Undone) - all tokens are Tech 0, and a single Stewardess will trade with a whole Bargain, leaving you down 4 base health and a worker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Fletcher
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Here's an example where my opponent used Double Lich's Bargain to protect his Tech II on turn 3 (going second).

http://forums.sirlingames.com/t/cafs-2016-ericf-past-peace-a...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.