4 Posts

Mystic Vale» Forums » General

Subject: How do you teach this game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just played a game against a friend who didn't know this game. He owns Ascension and plays a wide variety of games, so I figured I would explain the rules to him, and let him figure out how it plays on his own. I myself have played it about 12 times against a human, and about 5 times using a solo variant.

I utterly crushed him, to a triumphant 87 VP against a single little token, four 2VP Vales, and maybe less than 10 VP in his deck (he didn't count.)

My poor friend kept on spoiling all over. He spoiled at least 5 times, maybe 8, while not even adding a decay symbol to his deck. I never spoiled. I bought a Deadwood Harvester, an early Calm Weather, two Bears, a lvl 1 advancement which cancels all decay on a card minus 1, and a lvl 2 advancement which cancels all decay symbols on a card, two Grovetender paired with a Hawk. I bougt a dozen of vales, and had plenty of cards full of high level advancements. I had 18 mana and 9 spirit symbols in my last turn. It wasn't even fun anymore, and I don't understand what really happened.

Now, obviously, he didn't get to cancel his decay symbols, but bought 2 of the lvl 1 advancement that lets you discard your top deck card when you spoil (a card I never try. I like it better when I know the card will actually do something, like Deadwood Harvester). Thing is, he mostly had 2 decay symbols in a row each time when he tried that. I personally think he pushed too much. But most of the time, he didn't have enough mana to buy anything useful anyway.

He's no newcomer to gaming, and I don't like giving too many clues to a player when he learns a game. I told him that buying Hawks would increase his chances of spoiling, but that's about it. I didn't tell him that cancelling decay symbols would be a good idea.

Should I have told him that, in your opinion? Does the fact that I know this game mean that I have to give away the best strategies to people I teach the game to? I usually lose when I teach a player Ascension, and still do not give away that culling is good, or any other tip, so I wonder. I'm not trying to win at all cost. I simply think the players I game with don't need me to hold their hands. Some even have told me before that I do it too much, actually.

Needless to say he didn't really enjoy the game and was already trying to figure ways to improve it. Which the game doesn't need, IMO. I like it the way it is. Not because I win, but because I don't want to have player interaction, and I think it's very pleasant to play the way it is.

He had his revenge in Star Realms anyway (I was 1 point short of destroying him!!!!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
AEG has a great how to play video with Becca Scott from Geek and Sundry. It's very informative and Becca is really cute (not a requirement but it doesn't hurt!). So I would use that to teach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvador C. Majoral
Andorra
Argentona, Barcelona
flag msg tools
Whenever I teach a game (any game) I only teach the rules. For three reasons: to avoid giving too much information to somebody who has to retain a lot of new information at once already, to let them find out for themselves the ways and strategies (and I do this for two reasons: because it is pleasant and because I do with others what I like others to do with me (I don't want to be given strategy tips whenever I play a game for the first time, I am ready to resoundingly lose)), and to avoid confuse the new players who can not always tell or remember what are rules and what is advice (and at half game they say to the explainer "but you said that that thing was not allowed!" and the explainer goes "No, I said it was generally not advisable").

Obviously, I advise them if they ask me to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:
AEG has a great how to play video with Becca Scott from Geek and Sundry. It's very informative and Becca is really cute (not a requirement but it doesn't hurt!). So I would use that to teach.

I know this video. And I hate it, as stated in its comments But thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.