Mechs vs. Minions» Forums » General

Subject: MvM got my wife to finally enjoy a board game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Sorrell
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
My wife who is usually loath to join in on any board games joined us last night for our first play through of MvM and thoroughly enjoyed it. She said she was shocked that this game was actually fun (she literally hates playing board games). Riot: thank you. You've taken my marriage to a place I never thought we would be!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wooohooo!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael huckins
United States
savannah
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Next Roads & Boats

Jak84 wrote:
My wife who is usually loath to join in on any board games joined us last night for our first play through of MvM and thoroughly enjoyed it. She said she was shocked that this game was actually fun (she literally hates playing board games). Riot: thank you. You've taken my marriage to a place I never thought we would be!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Weber
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did she mention what she liked about it? My wife doesn't care much for board games either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This one is my final attempt for a wife-gateway game. She actually seemed to like the unboxing. Next step, have her play a bit s-till need to find the right moment

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Godspeed. I'm not even sure if this will be a gateway game for my wife. So if it goes well, drop me some tips.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Sorrell
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
Baconburgerdog wrote:
Did she mention what she liked about it? My wife doesn't care much for board games either.

So I'll explain our disconnect briefly. I like, no, love playing board games and as such am not much for chit chat when playing. I like to sit down and get into a good, engrossing game. My wife (who I truly love with all my heart) can't get into the stories or flow of games like I do and likes to chat or multi task while we play, which of course makes me crazy. She hates them because her choices are typically A) play a game and be bored, or B) play a game and spend the majority of the time talking/doing things other than the game and suffer an irritated husband. I'm not a game Nazi, I am simply not much for a 2 hour game becoming a 4 hour game because gameplay is constantly suspended to chat about this or that. It's not something we hold against each other, really at this point we just don't ever play games together, but we do lots of other couple stuff.

MvM, however, was this crazy middle ground game where the story wasn't so involved that you had to focus/immerse to get the full effect as the game intends, but at the same time the gameplay draws everyone in and a really fun time is had by all. We were giving each other tips and ideas, trying to beat the timer to draft cards, strategizing as a team and laughing at each other's damaged mechs that errantly fired attacks at nothing and then turned aimlessly to nowhere. We even made up an MvM version of DJ Casper's Cha Cha Slide. It was satisfying to me on a game mechanic/aesthetics level and provided the unabated fun that drew my wife out of the need to entertain herself with things/topics other than the game in front of us.

Best advice for this game. Play it fast and loose and have a ton of fun, because you totally can!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like part of her enjoyment came from the fact that it's a cooperative game. By their nature they revolve around discussion and social dynamics. Have you tried other cooperative games with her, like Pandemic, Legends of Andor, or Flash Point: Fire Rescue?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jak84 wrote:
Baconburgerdog wrote:

...My wife (who I truly love with all my heart) can't get into the stories or flow of games like I do and likes to chat or multi task while we play, which of course makes me crazy. She hates them because her choices are typically A) play a game and be bored, or B) play a game and spend the majority of the time talking/doing things other than the game and suffer an irritated husband....

OMG! My wife is like this too! Eventually, she declines to play board game at all, feeling bored by it.

Does this mean she still has the chance to be redeemed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
It sounds like part of her enjoyment came from the fact that it's a cooperative game. By their nature they revolve around discussion and social dynamics. Have you tried other cooperative games with her, like Pandemic, Legends of Andor, or Flash Point: Fire Rescue?

Agree. For an even more "gateway" experience, try Forbidden Island. Same designer as Pandemic, but simpler. Easier to beat and less to think about, for sure, but a good soft intro to the coop world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Sorrell
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
cbs42 wrote:

All of the above and many others (although she does tolerate Flash Point well since our kids like that one). She just finds all board games boring. It wasn't the coop/group dynamic she enjoyed, she enjoyed it because this particular game was fun to her. That's what was so surprising because this is a first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Sorrell
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
Baconburgerdog wrote:

Quick update here. I was sharing this thread with my wife and she wanted me to post that she was drawn in by the "cuteness" of all the characters and high quality of the game components. She said I've "...never bought a game that had such fun, colorful, funny little characters. The whole thing looked too cute not to join in."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugen Bacic
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jak84 wrote:
Baconburgerdog wrote:

Quick update here. I was sharing this thread with my wife and she wanted me to post that she was drawn in by the "cuteness" of all the characters and high quality of the game components. She said I've "...never bought a game that had such fun, colorful, funny little characters. The whole thing looked too cute not to join in."

Interesting. My wife said the same thing when I opened the box. She said it looked cute and wanted us to play it with the kids. I was kind of dumbstruck for a moment. So, we will be bringing this to the table as a family game. The kids are happy, too, as both love boardgames and they're always sad that mom won't play.

The other thing she liked was that it's both cooperative and programming. She taught programming in college years ago so that also intrigued her, that a game could use programming. Here's to hoping more of our significant others find the game intriguing enough to partake in our hobby!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just from the looks, she might like Krosmaster: Arena/Krosmaster: Quest as well.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed. I was about to suggest Krosmaster as well, for the very same reason. Also take a look at Arcadia Quest.

I'm glad you found at least one meaty game she enjoys! My wife will play lighter and midweight games of all kinds, but just doesn't enjoy heavier games. I've not tried Mechs vs Minions with her yet, so hopefully it'll prove light enough to engage her interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Anthony
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I could get my wife interested and more involved when we play games. I usually play with my three sons and/or Mom and cousins. My wife won't usually hit on anything more complicated than Love Letter or Zombie Dice as she doesn't want to take the time or learn new mechanics. Another factor is she is so busy I think she finds it a waste of time to play anything beyond 10-15 min. I can understand board gaming is not everybody's "bag" but I will keep trying to lure her with some light, gateway level games. I have Mechs Vs. Minions ordered but I would be somewhat surprised if that would be her cup of tea. Gaming has been a good bonding experience with my boys and is one of the few times we can all sit down together and get away from TV and iPads :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.