Mechs vs. Minions» Forums » Rules

Subject: Few questions regarding the game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charlie Burge
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
My friends and I ran into a few questions during the campaign, one in mission 5 and two in mission 6. Can anyone help shine some light on this confusion?

1. You can only use 2x movement commands to tow the bomb or other mechs. However, if you have a 1x movement (skewer, blaze, omnistomp, etc) can you choose to "try" to tow the bomb and fail, thus not moving anywhere?

2. In M6, can the boss activate the crystal "switches" when he steps on them?

3. If the boss steps onto a repair pad, does he heal?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1. No, you either tow or you move away from it.
2. Yes, when the boss steps on the crystal shard, he destroys it.
3. No, the repair pad does not affect the boss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Burge
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Great, thanks for the quick reply, and wonderful game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vanden Heuvel
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
Gaamessz... need more Gaammesz...
mbmbmbmbmb
1) no, you must use all your movement. The example I've seen cited is when you have 3 movement. You can "use up" 2 of the movement by towing but then you must use move away with your last point of movement.

For the record, what I think is confusing is that if you are up against an obstacle you can choose to move in that direction and fail, and hence not move at all. I think a more consistent ruling is that if there are legal directions available to you, you must choose one of those instead. (ie. you can't choose to intentionally fail). If you can't legally make a move, then that's a different story.

This is not the official ruling as I understand it, but to me it's the most chaotic, fun and punishing choice. Given that I feel like the game is a just a tad on the too easy side, this will be the way I house rule it from now on.

[edit] ninja'ed by Chris

to me, the inconsistency lies in the fact that I can't choose to intentionally fail to tow (and hence not move) but I can choose to fail at moving in a blocked direction (either by obstacle or edge of the board). I assume there will be others that won't see the same inconsistency, but I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deefer wrote:

to me, the inconsistency lies in the fact that I can't choose to intentionally fail to tow (and hence not move) but I can choose to fail at moving in a blocked direction (either by obstacle or edge of the board). I assume there will be others that won't see the same inconsistency, but I do.

There is no inconsistency. You do not fail to move into an obstacle or edge of the board. You just run into a wall. Try to move into a wall of your house and see what happens. Now do a 180 and move away from it. It is the same deal here. For the boardgame edge, it is just for gameplay ease. Just consider there is a wall all around the edge if that helps you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vanden Heuvel
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fair enough. Now assume that it takes you 2 movement points to tow a rock towards you but you have only 1 movement point. In your example, I should be able to attempt to pull the rock towards me but fail because I only have 1 movement point. However, the game rules prevent me from doing that.

the inconsistency is not in the movement rule itself (I'm fine with that). However the inconsistency is that I'm not allowed to choose to fail when it comes to towing, but I can when it come to movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still, you can always pick any direction for movement that's consistent with your command card. That's consistency. To say that in one particular situation you can't pick a particular direction seems inconsistent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematically, in my mind, movement of 1 means you tried to tow but the cable/rope/whatever was snapped thus the towed machine/bomb does not move, only your mech moves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, you cannot tow when your Mech isn't going to move, the same way that you cannot tow a Mech that you are about to push.

Let's look at the situation of being up against an edge with another Mech adjacent. You are given two movement points towards the edge. Can you say you are using those two to tow the other Mech nowhere? If you can and do, can you apply the Auto-Wrench schematic to repair the other Mech because you are claiming to have towed it?

Towing is the act of moving and then having a Mech or Bomb that was adjacent to you when you started end up in the space you last left. If neither Mech is going to move, you cannot call it a valid tow or even an attempt to tow, regardless of whether that was because you had too few movement spaces or because you were up against an obstacle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vanden Heuvel
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@David. that's also true.

I just think that when you have a choice of direction you should be forced to pick a direction that would let you accomplish a valid move.

the towing rule forces you into sub-optimal situations where you don't want to be. I just feel like the movement rule should be similar and not gamed to your advantage.

anyway, I'm debating a rule that has been officially ruled on. I'm clearly not going to win... just expressing my 2c.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deefer wrote:
I just think that when you have a choice of direction you should be forced to pick a direction that would let you accomplish a valid move.

I think trying to define a "valid move" is unnecessarily complexity. Moving directly into a wall seems as "valid" to me as any other move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Gray
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
@Deefer

Here's my stab at an explanation:

I think about towing as moving like an inchworm. The first part of the movement is ALWAYS extending away from the object being towed, and the second part of the movement is ALWAYS pulling that object back toward you.

So you can't "waste" a movement point by pulling an adjacent object closer to you, because the object is already there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.