Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Scholes
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at this game it appears takes up a significant amount of table space, with almost as much space taken up by the paraphinalia used to track each factions status and tokens as the actual play area for planets, space lanes, ships etc. It strikes me that much of the faction management could be offloaded on to an optional app which keeps track of everything. I know that many people like the experience of handling physical components and that is fair enough but in this case there are plenty of play area components to keep them busy. I would not think that it would be too difficult to code such an app as it would largely be a case of setting up some analogue of the command consoles with space for extra information such as ascendency, resource tokens and possinly command tokens. What do people think? Has anyone started to write one yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ramsey
Canada
North Delta
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Screws fall out all the time. The world is an imperfect place.
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem I see is that, while you're right that each player area contains a lot of stuff, it all needs to be visible to the other players. You need to be able to see how much of each resource your opponents have, as well as their current Ascendancy level. You also need to be able to see how many advancements have been completed, as well as how many are in development. The composition of fleets is important to keep open as well.

Basically, everything in each player's area is open information that you need to keep easily accessible to other players. I guess if everyone had the app on their individual devices, and you could see everything in each other player's area, it might be useful? Keeping it all up to date could be tricky too. Using physical pieces when spending on upgrades, etc, is easy for everyone to see and keep track of. On an app, not so much - unless there was some kind of alert, informing the other players whenever resources were spent.

As the game sits right now, as long as everyone is consistent with how they set up their respective areas, it's easy to see everything at a glance. This is important for planning your turn without giving away what you're looking at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think an app is necessary. It takes up about the same amount of total space as any other moderate-to-heavy game in this class. Sure, the play area is bigger, but the individual player boards and accoutrements are tiny compared to your bog-standard Euro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Scholes
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments, some things that I hadn't considered. I think, however, that I will write an app for my own use as I have somewhat unusual requirements as I usually play solo and have a fairly limited table space. From your comments though it doesn't sound as though there would be much interest in me making an app more generally available, which in some ways is useful as it eliminates any concerns about copyright etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kind of tricky, what does an app really need? Well the board is placed as well as the systems and the ships are all the same so not really needed there. You could just need a resource counter. As for research well weapons and shields are already on a board so they really are not needed. You could keep track of a research deck and which projects are being researched. Other than that you only have dice.

So the only things and app could track are
*Resources
*Research progress
*Dice randomization.

Everything else would simply be on the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
I mocked up a quick android app for my tablet last weekend to keep track of the resources, calculate required quick combat/hegemony rolls, etc. Mostly because we've run out of culture tokens a couple of times in my group and this frees up resources. Laid flat, it's big, bold, and visible to everyone at the table, but I'm not planning to clean up and publish it and would understand if people I didn't play with regularly would prefer me not to use it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.