Subject: I did not realize there was a deck-building mechanic rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Smith

Cold Spring Harbor
New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It took me quite a while to realize that the terrain tactics cards added a deck-building component to the game. I read the rules, watched a How It's Played video, played two rounds of a four-player game (which unfortunately had to stop early), and was in the middle of a two-player game when I finally realized the terrain tactics cards get shuffled back into your deck, thereby altering the composition of future draws.

I'm not sure why it took me so long for that concept to click. I think it might be because I was putting a lot of weight on the terrain cards as special tactics cards rather than a means to sculpt your deck. I also think I saw drawing new cards as an auxiliary action meant to optimize your hand rather than a "primary" action that will affect the rest of the game. Many games have a similar option to draw cards used when you're out of gas or don't have anything better to do, so I think I assumed the terrain cards fell into that camp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kektek wrote:
It took me quite a while to realize that the terrain tactics cards added a deck-building component to the game. I read the rules, watched a How It's Played video, played two rounds of a four-player game (which unfortunately had to stop early), and was in the middle of a two-player game when I finally realized the terrain tactics cards get shuffled back into your deck, thereby altering the composition of future draws.

I'm not sure why it took me so long for that concept to click. I think it might be because I was putting a lot of weight on the terrain cards as special tactics cards rather than a means to sculpt your deck. I also think I saw drawing new cards as an auxiliary action meant to optimize your hand rather than a "primary" action that will affect the rest of the game. Many games have a similar option to draw cards used when you're out of gas or don't have anything better to do, so I think I assumed the terrain cards fell into that camp.

These cards are fundamental to supporting your faction. Machines favor Mountain very strongly. Humans and Trogs need lots of movement. Pilgrims need movement, and some build, so deserts are a nice balance that help them cycle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oak Wolf
msg tools
Agreed. It's important for all factions to make sure they have the tools to achieve what they are up to, be it actions or battles. I would think that you're not alone and i would guess that many new players get surprised by how powerful the tactic cards can be when used in battle. I lost one of my first games because of it.

The hidden cost is that upgrading your deck takes one of the actions you have in the game. Also, a lesser impact of drawing cards is that if you do not have any cycling effect (Desert cards or Pilgrim effect), the odds of getting the same card again is lower as your deck grows larger. Keep this in mind if there's one specific card you want before the last turn (such as enable scoring)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oak Wolf
msg tools
HerrohGrant wrote:
Kektek wrote:

These cards are fundamental to supporting your faction. Machines favor Mountain very strongly. Humans and Trogs need lots of movement. Pilgrims need movement, and some build, so deserts are a nice balance that help them cycle.

Any faction prefers jungle for recruit? I had assumed that it was humans since they had air cavalry to move the troops around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goo Its actually Humans because they have no way to place units directly on non-HQ spaces as the others do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sybaris wrote:
HerrohGrant wrote:
Kektek wrote:

Any faction prefers jungle for recruit? I had assumed that it was humans since they had air cavalry to move the troops around.

Humans, mostly. For Trogs it can help late game if they've managed their spawns poorly or have a rough go. For anyone, it's a nice "get out of jail free" or good first action play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.