Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

For the solo game, the rulebook is quite clear that the Rival doesn't win Influence or take advantage of building benefits. So essentially, the rival's only purpose during the Resolution Phase is to potentially block the solo player from winning the pot at any location.

But what if the Rival wins the Pot at the Sheriff's Office? He can't take the Influence of course, but can he take the 3rd Posse benefit?

From reading the rules, I have a gut feeling that the intent is, "No". But OTOH, it would seem reasonable that this could be a sound and reasonable design decision - to allow the rival to win the 3rd Posse benefit.

Remember that the Location Mats are not buildings. So the rule about the Rival not gaining building benefits doesn't apply. And the 3rd Posse Benefit is not Influence, so the rule about the Rival not gaining Influence also doesn't apply. But still, I assume that if the designer wanted the Rival to gain the 3rd Posse benefit in this situation, he would've clearly stated so.

And hence the question... the rules don't say either way, yet it seems like a great idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty Craine
United States
Linden
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Solo Play: Rival wins Pot at Saloon Question
In Solo Play, the rival only gains a third posse member when you do.

I think this was brought up somewhere on BGG or perhaps in one of the Kickstarter comments. If I can find it again, I'll link you to it.

edit: Here we go, second post down is Michael Coe.

mgcoe wrote:
The solo rival will always play the same number of posse as you. Enjoy!

Source: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1659715/3rd-posse-solo-game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saloon? You mean Sheriff's Office? ninja

Either way. It's been said a few times by Michael that in a solo game the Rival always places the same number of Posse Tokens as the player.

But. I like your thought on this! It would make a more interesting game if the Rival could randomly get a third token if he wins that locations. But it might be a bit overpowered, since he can challenge for that reward every round regardless of his token placement. Might be more balanced to say that the Rival never gets his third token unless he wins that reward OR the rival only can get the third token reward if he has a token on that location. This can be in addition to, or in place of, the official rule of only placing a third token when the player does.

I've tried using the rival in two player games and it's been hard to figure when the rival should receive a third token, this might be a good solution!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty Craine
United States
Linden
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Rival getting a third posse token when you only have two would certainly add difficulty. When you consider that he acquires one building awarding him the highest VP at any locations he occupies. The more places he occupies, the greater chance of him picking up high value buildings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Braffe wrote:
Saloon? You mean Sheriff's Office?

Wow! Great catch! Yes, I meant, "Sheriff's Office"! Thanks for pointing that out. I fixed my post.

Now I wonder why I had the Saloon on my mind? whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

BeardedOne wrote:
In Solo Play, the rival only gains a third posse member when you do.
mgcoe wrote:
The solo rival will always play the same number of posse as you. Enjoy!

Source: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1659715/3rd-posse-solo-game

Braffe wrote:
It's been said a few times by Michael that in a solo game the Rival always places the same number of Posse Tokens as the player.
Might be more balanced to say that the Rival ... only can get the third token reward if he has a token on that location. This can be in addition to, or in place of, the official rule of only placing a third token when the player does.

Thanks guys, for your quick replies!

Yes, I saw that thread and the answers from Michael that you are citing. Still, I saw his replies as being directed more at the question asked at the time ("What happens when the player gains a 3rd Posse?"). I didn't see them as addressing the question I'm asking in my OP, above. (Except now that I re-read his reply quoted by D C, his use of "always" probably does answer my question).

Mostly though, I see where you're both coming from, regarding your thoughts about how the gameplay would be if the Rival was allowed to win the 3rd Posse Benefit at the Sheriff's Office. I sort of like Brad103's idea that I quoted above. I think I'll do a little playing around with the concept.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking about it more, you'd have to limit it a bit. Considering if you never place there, he'll automatically win! And you don't want to always place there.

My first idea in the post above was that he'd never get a third token (even if you do) unless he won that location. But if he wins it by default unless you go there (and win) he'd likely end up with the third posse more often than normal rules, and more regularly, which i think would take away the randomness and 'ai thought' factor.

My other idea as you quoted above would probably work out best. If no one places there, no one gets the reward, but if he places there you now have a choice to place there as well and try to deny him the poker hand win. But you don't have to do this every round like above, just when he places there. Because he only has a 1/6 chance to place there, I think I'd keep in the basic rule of 'if you have a third token so does the rival'. Overall it'd add difficulty and more ai thought randomness.

I'll try this out too next time I play a solo (or two player) round.

Let's us know what you discover!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Giblin
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I should have checked here sooner. I've been playing it that the rival always has 3 posse every turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.