$15.00
$20.00
$5.00
Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

Conan» Forums » General

Subject: some miniatures poor quality rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eddie Harr
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
I just opened my box of the core game. The miniatures are amazing quality, however, except for the heroes miniatures and their allies. They are a lighter plastic material and are of far less quality than the rest (less detail in the plastic). Is this normal?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The details aren't worse. The color hides the details. I wish they had used a different shade. However, if you give them a light wash they really pop. Check out some of the photos to see the proof.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I found most of the models to be good quality. Some of the poses aren't the most dynamic, but after putting on a zenithal highlight with primer you can see a good amount of details:

13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Guimarães
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes the lighter shade mascarades the quality of the heroes minis. The only ones that i found to be of subpar quality is the lion, Pelias (this one is worse than the lion in my opinion!). The King Conan guest box appears somewhat strange to me too, like it's a diferent scale of miniature, but maybe it's just my impression...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Radgoski
United States
Gouldsboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been a mini's fan for decades. After collecting reaper, ral partha and a myriad of other game systems, I have to say that most of the mini's are excellent. One of the Valaria molds has a difficult (and finely detailed) face.. and the lion...

But even the lion is fine. Once pained, this guy is going to be just fine.

Still - the models are straight and not bent. They have very small mold lines. They ACCURATELY reflect the pictures we see. (Hadrathus is reversed, but no problem)

I couldn't be more pleased with this collection. I got my game on Thursday last (28-Oct) and already have 6 mini's painted.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caibre wrote:
The details aren't worse. The color hides the details. I wish they had used a different shade. However, if you give them a light wash they really pop. Check out some of the photos to see the proof.


No, no. The details are obviously worse on the lighter minis for sure. The plastic they use seems to be different. The lion's the ugliest. It's a bit disappointing when you see the quality of the darker miniatures. But overall it still deserves a 8/10 to me.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Harr
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
I paint my miniatures and will see, however, as a miniature wargamer for years I can tell the quality of the lighter plastic is not as good as the darker and small details, such as the faces, on the lighter models are far less quality than the darker.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Radgoski
United States
Gouldsboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just asking...did the Lion NEED to be?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Morehouse
United States
Redlands
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Same observation here. Maybe paint will help, but it is the difference is so obvious I am not sure. Here are some pictures:





Yes, the photo quality is poor, but a difference is miniature quality is very apparent. The lion, especially.

I am very happy overall, but the fact that the heroes look like they do is a bit of a let down.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clanggedin Silverbeard
United States
SALEM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been beat like a dead horse both on BGG and KS. They Gray minis will paint up just fine. Being that they are a lighter color, it makes it hard to distinguish all of their features.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Harr
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
I disagree, but shall find out and hope I am wrong
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
glen bruton
msg tools
mb
eddieharr wrote:
I disagree, but shall find out and hope I am wrong


Just for a second imagine they were completely white plastic. How would their detail stand out then? Plastic colour is extremely important at the unpainted stage.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
poifpoif wrote:
Caibre wrote:
The details aren't worse. The color hides the details. I wish they had used a different shade. However, if you give them a light wash they really pop. Check out some of the photos to see the proof.


No, no. The details are obviously worse on the lighter minis for sure. The plastic they use seems to be different. The lion's the ugliest. It's a bit disappointing when you see the quality of the darker miniatures. But overall it still deserves a 8/10 to me.


Agree on the lion; I picked up all of the figures and looked them over (to fix warping, etc) and the lion looked straight-up derp. Everything else looked pretty solid.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sakari Laiho
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The dragon was too small:

They said:

"The "Dragon" is the biggest model we've made for the game and presents a herculean challenge for any and group of adventurers!"

It gives me different size to my mind... like 6x bigger than Conan himself, but its maybe 3x bigger :/
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Brady
United Kingdom
Kent
flag msg tools
I don't think any of the miniatures in the two main boxes (Barbarian/King and Stretch Goal) are 'poor'. However, some of the figures are excellent and in comparison other figures appear worse. The lighter plastic doesn't help. Even the lion is ok. Monolith should have used the same coloured plastic for all figures. After all, overlord figures have a coloured base ring.

The only figure that I consider poor is the Sabre Toothed Tiger add on. The size and detail of this figure are very disappointing and at $10 I regret buying it. Painting it up to overcome the blandness of the figure will be challenging. Other than the campaign book, the tiger was my only add on purchase so I can't comment on the others.

I also regret not purchasing at least one of the expansions and hope these do become available at retail.

Overall I'm very pleased with this Kickstarter and we've really enjoyed playing the game.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Calumma wrote:
... Monolith should have used the same coloured plastic for all figures. After all, overlord figures have a coloured base ring.
...

I think going for two colors was the correct way, it's a boardgame after all and you can't assume that everyone paints his minis anyhow.
Sure, there are the colored bases, but not every mini or mini group uses them, so the distinction is useful.
Material-wise is would have been better to use the same material, however I don't know enough about the production process to ascertain if different colors/shades would have been possible with the same material.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
asgorn wrote:
Material-wise is would have been better to use the same material, however I don't know enough about the production process to ascertain if different colors/shades would have been possible with the same material.

It's exactly the same material. Only the dye is diffferent.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roolz wrote:
asgorn wrote:
Material-wise is would have been better to use the same material, however I don't know enough about the production process to ascertain if different colors/shades would have been possible with the same material.

It's exactly the same material. Only the dye is diffferent.
It does not seem to matter - this is about perception and expectation!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I started painting the basic Conan, here is a quick picture from my phone:


I'll try to take a better quality picture when I'm done, but the quality has been decent on the majority of the heroes. Details show up pretty well after pre-shading and highlighting them.


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Whitworth
msg tools
morpheus133 wrote:
I found most of the models to be good quality. Some of the poses aren't the most dynamic, but after putting on a zenithal highlight with primer you can see a good amount of details:



Hi, someone who is completely new to painting, I'm considering following the zenithal highlight with primer process you mentioned, therefore I have a (potentially stupid!) question.

What is the exact process you follow and what do you use?

I only want to do something basic that brings out the detail.

Many thanks
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess is he primes with a dark paint first then hits it from an angle with white primer.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.