Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
If a location has neither attackers nor defenders assigned to it, what happens? Obviously no one scores the victory points for the location, but does the player who "controls" the location get to add to cubes to the relevant city?

Also, does it make any difference if the location has intrinsic defenders?

This came up in our first game, and the victory point difference from the uncertain city cubes would have decided the winner. In the end, we decided to call it a draw.

Chris.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If no one puts anything on either side--regardless of any intrinsic attackers or defenders, nothing happens.

http://files.boardgamegeek.com/viewfile.php3?fileid=20963

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you point me to where in the rules it says this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My image was generated based on discussions with the designer (Martin Wallace) and James Hamilton in this thread. The first post has been edited for correctness.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/130884

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a little insulted by his idea that only an idiot would leave an uncontested location without a defender! Why is this? A situation came up in our game last night where I thought it a good idea to do so. To try and summarise:

I controled both Athens and Sparta in the last turn of the game. If I remember correctly, all but one of the locations were mine. One Sparta location was worth 7VP and it had some intrinsic defenders. One other of my locations also had intrinsic defenders. My two opponents decided not to attack these locations as my huge combined army would easily be able to stomp over anything they cared to put forward and I would get a large amount of VP quite easily.

So they tried to concentrate their forces on lower VP locations so I would spread my forces more thinly. No one attacked the two intrinsically defended locations and I did not add defenders to those locations. I used up all of my influence cubes in Sparta and Athens adding forces to the actual contested locations.

My thinking was that it was more important for me to win the location tiles themselves rather than a measley two VP from additional influence cubes. Gaining a tile denies it to my opponent, which equates to an average VP difference of 8 (-4 for him, +4 for me).

I only lost one battle and luckily it was to the player who was in last place, so it didn't matter so much.

I don't see how this was bad play on anyone's part, and I can easily see the situation coming up again.

In the end we couldn't decide on a winner, as the other player scored 61 VP and I would have scored 59 VP *without* the influence cubes awarded from the uncontested locations or 63 VP *with* those influence cubes (so we decided to call it a draw).

I don't see why the defending player should *have to* commit forces to a location where there is no attacker. Surely it is the responsibilty of the *attacker* to ensure that the defender doesn't get two free victory points...?!

Comments?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
I don't see how this was bad play on anyone's part, and I can easily see the situation coming up again.

I agree. Why risk losing another battle outright for 2 cubes. But if you don't get to play last, once you use up your final military placement option, another player can come along and really hurt you. The fact that the uncontested battles had intrinsic defenders made your choice even easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And I *was* last to choose. ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Kirk
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
...One Sparta location was worth 7VP and it had some intrinsic defenders. One other of my locations also had intrinsic defenders...
...In the end we couldn't decide on a winner, as the other player scored 61 VP and I would have scored 59 VP *without* the influence cubes awarded from the uncontested locations or 63 VP *with* those influence cubes (so we decided to call it a draw).

I don't see why the defending player should *have to* commit forces to a location where there is no attacker. Surely it is the responsibilty of the *attacker* to ensure that the defender doesn't get two free victory points...?!

Comments?

Based on this statement from Mr. Wallace's rules clarifications:

Quote:
1) No Attackers or Defenders
No battle, tile removed, no influence cubes awarded
Note: This situation should almost never happen as it is always worthwhile placing a military unit for the second round of battle as a Main Defender.

You would not have gained those influence cubes, and the tile is simply discarded without anyone claiming its VP. Your 61 VP player won it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls