Subject: One Night Ultimate Werewolf Daybreak - A Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
DJ Williams
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Background:
I played with Daybreak the first time I played the base game--six months ago, at an overnight college visit. It was a huge game with maybe twenty people, so it got more than a little chaotic, but it was incredibly fun, and after playing the base game by itself a few times with friends, I decided to buy the expansion. This was a couple weeks ago, and it was definitely money well-spent--some of the roles from Daybreak can really enhance the base game. We've played quite a bit over the past few weeks, and there's rarely a bad game. I will say, however, that there are some roles that just didn't do it for me. Onward to the review!

The Good:
The new werewolf roles. Daybreak introduces three new werewolves: The Alpha Wolf, the Mystic Wolf, and the Dream Wolf. Each one has a different attribute--the Alpha Wolf can use an extra werewolf card to turn a member of the village into a werewolf, the Mystic Wolf has extra Seer-like abilities, and the Dream Wolf doesn't know the identities of its teammates. These roles make it a little more interesting to play as a werewolf, and the different levels of power between them make it possible to buff or debuff the werewolf team as the players see fit.
The Apprentice Seer and the Paranormal Investigator. The former is essentially a less-powerful Seer, which is a small (and in my opinion, welcome) nerf to the village team. The Paranormal Investigator also has Seer-like abilities that come with a price: It can look at the cards of up to two other players, but if it sees a Werewolf or a Tanner, it becomes that role. These are my two favorite village roles in the expansion, in terms of game balance.

The "Eh":
The Witch. It's pretty much a more powerful drunk: It can look at one card in the middle, and then has to switch it with either its own or someone else's card. A game where a Witch sees a werewolf card in the middle and then gives it to someone else can be pretty boring, but in my group there's a tacit agreement that if the Witch sees a werewolf, they should switch it with their own card--it's more fun that way! It's a card that really depends on how you play it.
The Curator. I like the mechanics of the role, as well as four of the six tokens. What I don't like are the Shroud of Shame and the Mask of Muting, the former of which forces you to face the opposite direction for the whole game and the latter of which removes your ability to speak. I don't like things in games that restrict behavior, unless that mechanic is a significant and intentional part of the game. It's not really that much fun as a player to not be able to talk for an entire round because of a token. We play with those two removed, but your mileage may vary on how fun they are.

The Bad:
The Village Idiot. It moves everyone's card (except for their own) one space to the left or right. It causes way too much chaos for my taste or the taste of the group I play with, and trying to figure out the new configuration after literally every card was moved eats up too much time for a game with rounds as short as those in One Night. We don't play with it.

The Takeaway:
Overall, I recommend the expansion. There's only one role we don't play with, and only two I take issue with (and those issues can be solved by slight tweaking or group concensus!). It's noted that Daybreak can be played as a standalone game...eh. It works MUCH better as an expansion than by itself, in my opinion, but it can be done. If we play with just Daybreak (which only happens if the person who owns the base game isn't around), we use post-its to turn the Village Idiot into a Troublemaker and the Bodyguard into a Minion. If you buy it, though, you'll definitely find something that works for you!

Rating: 7 Stars

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Albano
United States
Bloomfield
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the thing is, once there's an understood "agreement" that the Witch switches the Werewolf with their own role, then everything starts to balance out because the Witch has to lie about what they saw in the middle and can't ever claim they saw a Wolf.

That's one of the best things about this game, once there's an assumption about what a role will or should do, you can take advantage of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Agreed.

"I was the Witch. I took that card from the middle. It was a Werewolf and I gave it to Kim." is an entertaining claim to make when you actually gave yourself the Werewolf.

Once people have caught on to that strategy, you instead say it about a real Werewolf when you're the Minion.

Then you say it when you're the Tanner, and hope people discover the centre card you pointed at isn't really a Werewolf.

Meanwhile, what happens next if the person you implicate responds "It's true. I started the night as Insomniac and ended as Werewolf."?

No need for a tacit agreement about how the Witch should behave; no need at all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DJ Williams
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
True! I was just speaking from my experience having played several rounds of this game using the Witch...it ended up being a boring role for our group personally until it became standard practice to take the Werewolf as a Witch, because people would rather pass off the evil role to someone else for an easier win than switch it with their own (the person who got the Werewolf card could claim the Witch was lying, but that pretty much never worked). I guess it totally depends on the people you're playing with--we didn't start getting those interesting Witch plays and cool bluffs until AFTER it was something we had discussed, but that definitely doesn't generalize to every group of players!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.