Fury of Dracula (third edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: First Dracula Location Card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
michael edwards
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
For Dracula's first card that he puts on the trail at the start of the game, does he get to place an encounter on it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
bouvond wrote:
For Dracula's first card that he puts on the trail at the start of the game, does he get to place an encounter on it?

No.

Quote:

Learn to play, page 5

10. Choose Dracula’s Starting Location: Dracula chooses a starting location. Instead of placing his figure on the board, he secretly searches his location cards for the card matching the location where he wishes to start. Then, he places that card facedown on the first space (leftmost space) of the trail. Dracula cannot choose a sea zone, Castle Dracula, or a city that a hunter occupies as his starting location. After placing a location card, Dracula places his figure on the red circle near the first space of the trail (E)

So nothing there about any encounter card for the initial placement.

Furthermore, on page 8 of the LtP is where it describes putting encounter cards under location. This is only described as happening during the Dracula Phase. The initial setup is not a Dracula Phase.

And if you look at the Dracula Movement Example on page 9, you can see that the first slot does not have an encounter card.

Thanks for asking this, as I got this wrong when I played my first game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I took it as incentive to turn your starting spot into a lair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Vasher wrote:

I can see some pluses and minuses with that. The obvious minus is that it starts with no encounter cards. So if the hunter moves to that location, you basically reveal that they're on your trail without the benefit of being able to ambush/force them to search. You give them info (and increase the footprint of your trail on the board) without really getting anything out of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jepmn wrote:
Vasher wrote:

I can see some pluses and minuses with that. The obvious minus is that it starts with no encounter cards. So if the hunter moves to that location, you basically reveal that they're on your trail without the benefit of being able to ambush/force them to search. You give them info (and increase the footprint of your trail on the board) without really getting anything out of it.

But when you convert a location to a lair, you add an encounter to it, so there would be an encounter for the hunters to deal with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
COMaestro wrote:
jepmn wrote:
Vasher wrote:

But when you convert a location to a lair, you add an encounter to it, so there would be an encounter for the hunters to deal with.

Ah, I'd missed that part (despite reviewing lair before I answered). That definitely makes it more desirable. Hard for me to judge whether I think it's desirable enough to add a 7th location for the hunters to pick up your trail on, though. Will have to have more games under my belt for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This has come up on previous threads. On review, all agree that there is no encounter placed on the starting location. I have argued that this should have been highlighted more in the rules, as nearly every other time you place a location (city, non-hunter-occupied) you place an encounter as well. Others say it is "obvious" -- but, of course, it is not, as the two additional case histories of making the mistake demonstrate.

In my FOD Fan Rules 1.2 (a work in progress) I added the phrase "; he does not place an encounter card on it." to the end of the sentence describing placing the Starting Location in the LTP and RR. (That text is used in describing how some Power Cards are played, e.g. Feed LTP-15.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jepmn wrote:
COMaestro wrote:
jepmn wrote:
Vasher wrote:

Ah, I'd missed that part (despite reviewing lair before I answered). That definitely makes it more desirable. Hard for me to judge whether I think it's desirable enough to add a 7th location for the hunters to pick up your trail on, though. Will have to have more games under my belt for that.

When the Hunters encounter your lair there could easily be several steps between the lair and the current end of the trail. So while it does give the hunters some information, it may or may not be connected to your current location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vasher wrote:

When the Hunters encounter your lair there could easily be several steps between the lair and the current end of the trail. So while it does give the hunters some information, it may or may not be connected to your current location.

This exactly. It won't do the hunters much good to find your laired starting location when ten turns have passed and you are no where close to it.

Ideally you'll come back around to it as Dracula, so you can put it back on the trail and add another encounter to it, but it can still just be used as an ambush if the hunters come across it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
COMaestro wrote:
Vasher wrote:

This exactly. It won't do the hunters much good to find your laired starting location when ten turns have passed and you are no where close to it.

Ideally you'll come back around to it as Dracula, so you can put it back on the trail and add another encounter to it, but it can still just be used as an ambush if the hunters come across it.

Well, as I said earlier, I'll have to wait until I have more games under my belt to have an actual informed opinion about it. I can only go on my one game where we finally called the game due to time before a single step on my trail had been discovered. One player was controlling all the hunters, and it was very much a learning game for us both. Another step to discover might have helped him at least figure out which REGION I was on. But it's too early to really draw many conclusions around that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jepmn wrote:
Well, as I said earlier, I'll have to wait until I have more games under my belt to have an actual informed opinion about it. I can only go on my one game where we finally called the game due to time before a single step on my trail had been discovered. One player was controlling all the hunters, and it was very much a learning game for us both. Another step to discover might have helped him at least figure out which REGION I was on. But it's too early to really draw many conclusions around that.

That sounds like the hunters were just flailing around in the dark. They need to invest in supply actions to gain an event that reveals the trail (or at least can rule out some cities). And use Mina's ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
randiv wrote:
jepmn wrote:

That sounds like the hunters were just flailing around in the dark. They need to invest in supply actions to gain an event that reveals the trail (or at least can rule out some cities).

Yup, already suggested that to the player.

Quote:
And use Mina's ability.

Funny thing was that he DID use it, but I outsmarted him. I was right on the edge of two regions. He used it in the region I wasn't in. Then I moved into that region and he moved to the adjacent one I was just in and used the ability there. So he thought I wasn't in either region. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.