Subject: Bike ride Thursday morning! (See post #5 for details) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian B.
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
char(filter(1,[1 -1],[66 5 0 -39 82 -3 -12 8 8 -82]))
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to get out and take a bike ride as a way of stretching my legs one or two days during the con. I'm flying in so I can't bring a bike with me, but is there anywhere to rent a bike and then go biking in the area of DFW? I'm happy to take an Uber somewhere to get to a bike rental shop.

(Edit: Plans made! See post #5 below for details.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Makis
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Any biking in the area?
Most everywhere you'll be able to ride around the DFW area is pretty flat, though there are a few areas.

For a shorter ride you can do the Katy Trail which goes through the heart of Dallas. Up and back is about 7 miles unless they've continued it on since the last time I ran it (a few years ago). It's mostly concrete with the spongy running surface throughout.

A favorite and lengthy ride I like to do is the White Rock Trail (concrete path) that leads to the White Rock Lake Loop (also concrete path). All told you can get a solid 25 miles if you start at 635 on the White Rock Trail and head south to the lake and back.

North of the Convention in Grapevine there's a bike shop called Mad Duck Cycling Shop. I'd give them a shout and see if they know of any place closer to the airport so you're not spending a ton to get to a location. I don't know if they do rentals but if anyone would know, they would.

You can find them here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve M
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you find a place and want someone to join you send me a message. I could use some exercise during the con.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Oster
United States
Arlington
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
South of DFW Airport in North Arlington is River Legacy Park with miles of paved trails along the Trinity River.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian B.
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tips, everyone! My plan is to leave at 8:15 AM Thursday morning to go biking around the 10 mile or so White Rock Lake trail. (I know that's early, but I have to back in time for my 1 PM Team Geek shift.) I'll first stop at Dallas Bike Works to rent a bike for $35. I will have a car and I plan to eat at the hotel before leaving for breakfast and then stop somewhere for lunch on the way back. I should be back to the hotel by noon.

All that said, anyone want to join me? It's open to all! I'm a pretty slow biker myself who needs breaks every 4-5 miles so that'll be the pace we go. And it's supposed to be beautiful weather.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve M
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to go, but I scheduled a game for 10 on Thursday. Post some pics after the ride. I would love to see the trail. Maybe I'll go on Friday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian B.
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to hear that . Unfortunately, I've got a Team Geek shift at 10 AM on Friday or I'd offer to move the ride. I'll try to post some pics to whet your appetite!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.