6 Posts

Codex: Card-Time Strategy – Deluxe Set» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Turn one, you go first, what do you tech? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am curious what everyone puts in first assuming they are going first. Certainly many things are going to be matchup dependent, go ahead and talk about that. Also of course talk about the color(s) you are playing.

I have mostly been playing Mono-black, and I recently made a post about my Bone collector rush, so I have been teching in 2x bone collectors. He is a solid creature that doesn't really ever become bad.

When I am white, I almost always tech ng 1 copy of Rook's bird nest spell and Ardra's boulder. But I am pretty new to white still so I don't really have a strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually take the baddest looking tech one card
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Churchill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambs
flag msg tools
designer
"If we knew what we were building, it wouldn't be called research!"
badge
Sufficiently advanced mathematics is indistinguishable from magic
mbmbmbmbmb
As you say, a lot of it depends on the matchup; and indeed what you know about your opponent's preferences and play style. But without any knowledge of that, just on general principles:

Red:

Lobber, Gunpoint Taxman, or a mixture is standard and powerful. You can go very cheap aggro with Lobbers and Crash Bombers, or more controlling with Ember Sparks. Surprise Attack is a fantastic spell, but I think turn 1 might be a bit early?

Green:

2x Tiny Basilisk or 1x Tiny Basilisk 1x Centaur is pretty standard. I personally like Galina Glimmer + Giant Panda for the token-spam angle (or even Galina Glimmer + Murkwood Allies).

Black:

2x Bone Collector is a very solid opening. Or Gargoyles, Plague Spitters, or some mixture.
Also, 2x Dark Pact is very strong, and there's potential for 2x Metamorphosis or Dark Pact + Metamorphosis doing terrifying things.

Blue:

If you're going aggro, 2x Spectral Hound, 2x Overeager Cadet, or a mixture. Leads great into Tech II Peace with Flagstone Garrison and Drill Sergeant. I'll sometimes do 1x Overeager Cadet 1x Brave Knight.
The Law spells and Truth spells are very powerful but wouldn't normally be first-turn techs.

White:

Lots of options. I like going Rambasa Twin + Sparring Partner, but Ardra's Boulder + Bird's Nest or 2x Bird's Nest can be powerful, as can Inverse Power Ninja. Loads of good followup early tech options, including very strong removal in Reversal and Entangling Vines.

Purple:

Everyone swears by Stewardess of the Undone. I've never had much success with it, but I think that's just because of my usual opponent's playstyle - it probably is normally very good. If you're going heavy forecast then 2x Seer (aiming to rush out Plasmodium and max out Vir Garbarean early) can be surprisingly strong. Otherwise I'd default to something like 2x Argonaut. Purple's a powerful colour but its Tech I options aren't great and the spells aren't first-turn things normally (though there's been some discussion about Assimilate against black, blue or green).

And for completeness:
Bashing:
2x Iron Man is the most stereotypical Bashing turn 1 tech there is. I could see an argument for 1x Iron Man 1x Revolver Ocelot, to guard against drawing them both in the same hand.

Finesse:
1x Two Step is very strong. The other card could be Harmony, Discord, Nimble Fencer or a second Two Step.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting thoughts. My primary Codex partner and I have only played a Green vs. White matchup a few times so far.

Do you guys think what you tech is highly dependent on whether you're first or second to play? Playing as Green vs. White, when I'm playing second I can find myself behind on tempo due to White's ability to get small creatures in play with good supporting abilities. Dinosize / Centaur was my last turn 1 tech against white.

Regarding the Basilisk, same question -- it seems like it would be a good aggressive play if you play first, but if you play second, you might need blockers more. And since it's untargetable vs. Tech 0 units, it doesn't make an early-game blocker. So I don't think I've tech'd the Basilisk when I play second vs. White.

Any other thoughts on White vs. Green?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff wrote:
Interesting thoughts. My primary Codex partner and I have only played a Green vs. White matchup a few times so far.

Do you guys think what you tech is highly dependent on whether you're first or second to play? Playing as Green vs. White, when I'm playing second I can find myself behind on tempo due to White's ability to get small creatures in play with good supporting abilities. Dinosize / Centaur was my last turn 1 tech against white.

Regarding the Basilisk, same question -- it seems like it would be a good aggressive play if you play first, but if you play second, you might need blockers more. And since it's untargetable vs. Tech 0 units, it doesn't make an early-game blocker. So I don't think I've tech'd the Basilisk when I play second vs. White.

Any other thoughts on White vs. Green?

I would go Tiny Basilisk vs White anyway because White is either heavy on heroes or thought creatures and being able to one shot them with Tiny Basilisk is a must.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hauge
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff wrote:

Definitely. To borrow a Magic term, you want to consider whether you are "the beatdown". i.e., which deck is putting the pressure down, and which deck is responding to it and trying to stall it out.

The cool thing about Codex is that who's the beatdown will shift dynamically, because both players are building their decks as the game goes on. So if you're the beatdown, you want to keep teching strong threats that your opponent has to respond to, and if you're the control, you need to tech stalls and responses to your opponent while also progressing to better and better units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.