Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

C.O.G.» Forums » General

Subject: I was excited to hear about C.O.G.! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend of mine told me about C.O.G., so I went and checked it out. It was a nice looking game already from the prototype I saw on the KS instructional video. It looked like a myriad of other Steampunk games, but the spelling idea grabbed me right away. Even though I love spelling games, I wasn't sure I wanted to buy a spelling game because they tend to bog down. Also, some people just don't have good vocabulary or spelling skills.

Never fear!

The words in this game are more like recipes that are out for anyone to complete. It's like dipping your big toe into the pool of word games without committing yourself wholeheartedly. You can get a little bit of the feel of spelling games, but there are a pile of word choices that you are limited to each game so you don't have to be a walking dictionary to play well.

Basically, this is a worker placement game, and I'm loving the theme.

The twist?

Everyone has to "use" each side of the board once per turn. If you go to a side first, you get first choice of what is offered. That's pretty standard worker placement stuff, except that it appears that there isn't just one "best" thing. I might want a certain die on the "dice side", but it might not be great for everyone. The same with the letters. It all depends though, because that rare letter could be what *everyone* needs.

It looks like it'll be fun!

7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastián Koziner
Argentina
Capital Federal
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
OK Art Studio - www.okartstudio.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, i'm the graphic designer, who happens to be a board game fan, and when Steve asked me to do the pieces of the game, I had my doubts myself. But as I was getting more into the development, it's really a worker placement with goals, the game has so many layers that might seems confusing at first sight, but as other Dr Finn games (like Biblios Dice, for example), when you actually play it it's really straight forward.

I really hope it gets funded, not as an artist, but because I want to play it!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been curious as to why this game doesn't seem to be doing well on kickstarter. I'm not criticizing people, I'm just wondering (I personally haven't backed it- more on that in a sec). Is it because it's kind of a word game and that just turns people off? Is it the price? Or is it something else? Steve Finn is an established game designer, but is there not a big enough fan base there?

As I said, I haven't backed this game, and I think it pretty much boils down to two reasons: 1. my husband is not a fan of word games and even though this seems like less of a word game than a worker-placement, I doubt he will enjoy playing it and he's pretty much my only consistent gaming partner, so buying what he likes is important.

2. I don't know if I'm being stingy, but $45 seems kind of steep for what you're getting and for a game that probably won't get played much in my home. If it were just $35 I'd be tempted to go for it. Of course, I know there is a lot that goes into a game and I'm sure Dr. Finn priced this as low as he felt he could, but for me personally price is a factor. And, yes, I know I can donate any amount but, frankly, I'm only interested in backing a project if I get something in return (and I don't have any of the games in the promo pack).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Johnson
United States
Athens
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Soleia wrote:
I've been curious as to why this game doesn't seem to be doing well on kickstarter. I'm not criticizing people, I'm just wondering (I personally haven't backed it- more on that in a sec). Is it because it's kind of a word game and that just turns people off? Is it the price? Or is it something else? Steve Finn is an established game designer, but is there not a big enough fan base there?


I think it may be a combination of perceived image and price. That is, Dr. Finn is known for making family-friendly games that tend to be on the less complex side. The most recent projects attached to his name have been Slush Fund 2, Butterfly Garden, and Herbaceous... which were all pretty cheap and definitely "filler" style games. So, perhaps when people see this is a Dr. Finn game, they assume it will be "light" and are turned off by the $45 price tag. Also, I believe this may be the most expensive Dr. Finn game produced so far? So, regardless of what people assume about the game, the cost may be a bit above the comfort zone of a lot of his fan base?

I do hope it funds though!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperMike3288 wrote:
Soleia wrote:
I've been curious as to why this game doesn't seem to be doing well on kickstarter. I'm not criticizing people, I'm just wondering (I personally haven't backed it- more on that in a sec). Is it because it's kind of a word game and that just turns people off? Is it the price? Or is it something else? Steve Finn is an established game designer, but is there not a big enough fan base there?


I think it may be a combination of perceived image and price. That is, Dr. Finn is known for making family-friendly games that tend to be on the less complex side. The most recent projects attached to his name have been Slush Fund 2, Butterfly Garden, and Herbaceous... which were all pretty cheap and definitely "filler" style games. So, perhaps when people see this is a Dr. Finn game, they assume it will be "light" and are turned off by the $45 price tag. Also, I believe this may be the most expensive Dr. Finn game produced so far? So, regardless of what people assume about the game, the cost may be a bit above the comfort zone of a lot of his fan base?

I do hope it funds though!


Yes, I would love to see it funded because it does look like a great game, and there may come a time when I can justify purchasing it. If it were something I knew would get played a lot I would probably be more tempted to back it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastián Koziner
Argentina
Capital Federal
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
OK Art Studio - www.okartstudio.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperMike3288 wrote:
Soleia wrote:
I've been curious as to why this game doesn't seem to be doing well on kickstarter. I'm not criticizing people, I'm just wondering (I personally haven't backed it- more on that in a sec). Is it because it's kind of a word game and that just turns people off? Is it the price? Or is it something else? Steve Finn is an established game designer, but is there not a big enough fan base there?


I think it may be a combination of perceived image and price. That is, Dr. Finn is known for making family-friendly games that tend to be on the less complex side. The most recent projects attached to his name have been Slush Fund 2, Butterfly Garden, and Herbaceous... which were all pretty cheap and definitely "filler" style games. So, perhaps when people see this is a Dr. Finn game, they assume it will be "light" and are turned off by the $45 price tag. Also, I believe this may be the most expensive Dr. Finn game produced so far? So, regardless of what people assume about the game, the cost may be a bit above the comfort zone of a lot of his fan base?

I do hope it funds though!


Well, I don't understand that... if his filler where great (i enjoyed all i've played), why not give it a chance to his bigger one?

But then i think about the price and get your point, i trust it worth it, but i see why somebody could doubt so.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duarte
Portugal
Ponte de Lima
Ponte de Lima
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Soleia wrote:
I've been curious as to why this game doesn't seem to be doing well on kickstarter. I'm not criticizing people, I'm just wondering (I personally haven't backed it- more on that in a sec). Is it because it's kind of a word game and that just turns people off? Is it the price?


Yes, at least for me. 45$ is high.
Prices are getting too high, publishers need to realize that. And because of that, some will suffer. It's a shame, looks like a fun game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting... $45 isn't really that high for a full-on worker placement game that has a board and pieces. Many (most?) are $60. I wonder if it doesn't have more to do with the idea that it is a word game. Maybe it reminds people of school. I just wanted to point out that it really isn't a word game at all (from watching the playthrough).

Some have suggested that another possibility is that Dr. Finn makes filler games. I'm not really sure what that has to do with this game, as has been pointed out. I do know that I love Biblios (and usually dislike lighter filler games and social games) and I've generally found that when designers make good games, they make good games. When they don't, they don't.

I do hope it funds.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
logris wrote:
Interesting... $45 isn't really that high for a full-on worker placement game that has a board and pieces. Many (most?) are $60. I wonder if it doesn't have more to do with the idea that it is a word game. Maybe it reminds people of school. I just wanted to point out that it really isn't a word game at all (from watching the playthrough).

Some have suggested that another possibility is that Dr. Finn makes filler games. I'm not really sure what that has to do with this game, as has been pointed out. I do know that I love Biblios (and usually dislike lighter filler games and social games) and I've generally found that when designers make good games, they make good games. When they don't, they don't.

I do hope it funds.


For what you're getting component-wise I don't see a game like this pricing at $60, but I can certainly understand that price for something with lots of chunky pieces. $45 if is probably about standard price for something like this, but as I said for me personally it probably wouldn't be worth it. Here's a comparison of C.O.G. and Islebound which was $44 on kickstarter. Seems sort of similar (speaking in terms of what you actually get in the box)...




1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
I wish I could play more games.
badge
Collecting games is not playing games.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I love word games, Paperback is amazing and now that it is on iOS I can play solo easily whenever I want. Add some worker placement which I also enjoy and its a no-brainer for me. I did have to watch he video to really get a handle on it though, it could turn off wordsmiths who don't like worker placement or worker placement fans who hate words. If you hate worker placement and words, well, this is not your game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastián Koziner
Argentina
Capital Federal
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
OK Art Studio - www.okartstudio.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
IMCarnochan wrote:
I love word games, Paperback is amazing and now that it is on iOS I can play solo easily whenever I want. Add some worker placement which I also enjoy and its a no-brainer for me. I did have to watch he video to really get a handle on it though, it could turn off wordsmiths who don't like worker placement or worker placement fans who hate words. If you hate worker placement and words, well, this is not your game.


Actually i don't think it's relevant if you are a "word games" fan, because easily 80% of the game is a worker placement. You arrange words, but if they where tiles to lay out instead, making X pattern isntead of words, the gameplay won't be much affected really.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie A
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I've been on the fence with this one. Finn is usually a buy for me and I like the worker placement, really like word games, however I'd prefer if it were a little less fiddly. There seems as much fiddling as there is gameplay.

This small thing as a for instance - I don't think it would need 48 cubes if the goal cards were laminated/dry erasable. And without 48 cubes perhaps the box could be smaller or ship weight less. And I wouldn't have to worry about bumping cubes off the little card squares while playing or have a cube pile along with the tokens pile etc.

That might not be a great idea but it's an idea. Rather than posting about how tough it'll be for him if this doesn't fund, there could have been some questions about why we aren't biting or what ideas people have to make it more appealing at this price point or changes to have it work at a bit lower price point. Such engagement is not a rarity for games on KS - after all, it's not supposed to be just a store.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jamiea wrote:
I've been on the fence with this one. Finn is usually a buy for me and I like the worker placement, really like word games, however I'd prefer if it were a little less fiddly. There seems as much fiddling as there is gameplay.

This small thing as a for instance - I don't think it would need 48 cubes if the goal cards were laminated/dry erasable. And without 48 cubes perhaps the box could be smaller or ship weight less. And I wouldn't have to worry about bumping cubes off the little card squares while playing or have a cube pile along with the tokens pile etc.

That might not be a great idea but it's an idea. Rather than posting about how tough it'll be for him if this doesn't fund, there could have been some questions about why we aren't biting or what ideas people have to make it more appealing at this price point or changes to have it work at a bit lower price point. Such engagement is not a rarity for games on KS - after all, it's not supposed to be just a store.

These are good points. I hadn't thought of the game as fiddly because that's usually not a big concern for me, but I can see that. Yes, it would be nice if he asked for feedback from the community, but I would suppose it might be difficult to make major changes when the project is already up and running (with 0 experience on that matter, i really don't know).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David E
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Boardgame Aesthete
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it is looking like if this one squeaks out funding, it will go right down to the wire. So if you are on the fence, I'd say this is one of those Kickstarters where you really can make a difference in whether or not the game actually gets made.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
$28,0030 pledged of $28,000... Wow! That must have been a stressful experience for Steve. I'm glad it did fund. I'll be keeping my eye on it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.