Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

When discarding cards for the Movement, Recruit, or Build Actions, there are two icons that provide a "Draw 1 Card" bonus. Both icons are the same, except:

- One of the icons has an asterisk, which allows the player to draw 1 card regardless of the number of symbols being discarded.

- One of the icons is sans the asterisk, which allows the player to draw 1 card for each symbol being discarded.

My question regards the second icon (sans that asterisk). Does it mean to draw 1 card for each symbol discarded, even if counted from other cards? Or only count the symbols that are printed on the same card as the bonus icon?

I.e., if I discard five cards for a total of eight symbols, and one of those cards has the bonus icon (without an asterisk), do I get to draw eight cards?

Is the only reference for this on page 7 of the rules, and I'm simply having trouble interpreting it correctly?

Thx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

When discarding cards for the Movement, Recruit, or Build Actions, there are two icons that provide a "Draw 1 Card" bonus. Both icons are the same, except:

- One of the icons has an asterisk, which allows the player to draw 1 card regardless of the number of symbols being discarded.

- One of the icons is sans the asterisk, which allows the player to draw 1 card for each symbol being discarded.

My question regards the second icon (sans that asterisk). Does it mean to draw 1 card for each symbol discarded, even if counted from other cards? Or only count the symbols that are printed on the same card as the bonus icon?

I.e., if I discard five cards for a total of eight symbols, and one of those cards has the bonus icon (without an asterisk), do I get to draw eight cards?

Is the only reference for this on page 7 of the rules, and I'm simply having trouble interpreting it correctly?

Thx!

Answer this one in a few places.

Pilgrim card, aka Telepathic Link (IIRC), means for every Telepathic Link you play for the Action, you also draw 1 card from your deck.

Desert means that if you play one or more Deserts for your Action, you only draw one card.

Here are a few scenarios:

I do a Move Action with two Telepathic Links. I draw 2 cards after the Move.

I do a Move Action with two Desert cards. I draw 1 card after the Move.

I do a Move Action with two Telepathic Links and one Desert. I draw 3 cards after the Move.

I do a Move Action with two telepathic links and two Deserts. I draw 3 cards after the Move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You draw 1 card per Bonus Card Draw symbol, not per action symbol.

So if you have three cards, and each has a card draw bonus in the correct action row, you'd draw three cards, 1 for each card draw bonus symbol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Van Willis
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boy did this one take me awhile to respond to, totally ninja'd by the Grant and James

bgm1961 wrote:

Thx!

The draw card icon bonuses only refer to the draw card icons themselves and not the icons used for the action. The FAQ has some examples of how this plays out:

Example: I play 3 cards for Movement. Two of them are Desert. I draw 1 card, b/c it’s only one card, regardless of number played.

Example 2: I played 3 cards for Movement, two of them Pilgrim cards with draw bonus.I draw 2 cards, because it is one per symbol shown. Yay advanced alien species!

Example 3: I play 3 cards for Movement. One is a pilgrim bonus, two deserts. I draw 2 cards. One for Pilgrim, and one for the desert, because it’s only one per asterisk.

In essence you get a card draw bonus for each card that you play with a card draw icon (sans asterisk), regardless of the number of action points the cards played provide.

See this thread for reference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Wow! Thanks, guys! I totally misinterpreted that sidebar on page 7! And that was on me, not the Rulebook. In my thick head I conflated "symbols" and "icons". When I read the word, "symbol" in the rule about the bonuses, my mind saw instead, "icon" and confused it with how "icon" was used to refer to points used to create actions.

My bad. Thanks for setting me straight!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.