Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played our first game last night, and had a couple of thoughts.

First: it seems like there is a LOT of luck in this game -- I didn't find much strategy or even tactical gameplay. It always seemed to be a better idea to get the quick points available in the marketplace by getting full "1-value" sets instead of saving up for the heavier "3-value" sets.

Second: no one seemed to care for the thief cards. We were playing a 5-player game, so we had 10 in the deck. I think I might reduce it down to 6 in the future. Anyone else have negative feelings about the thief cards?

Aside from all that, a couple others and I still liked the game. Just have to be ok with how luck-driven it is, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This...

ayejae wrote:
First: it seems like there is a LOT of luck in this game -- I didn't find much strategy or even tactical gameplay.

is caused by this...

ayejae wrote:
We were playing a 5-player game.

As player counts increase in most games your ability to plan effectively for future turns decreases because of the rate at which the game state changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Runcible Spoon wrote:
This...

ayejae wrote:
First: it seems like there is a LOT of luck in this game -- I didn't find much strategy or even tactical gameplay.

is caused by this...

ayejae wrote:
We were playing a 5-player game.

As player counts increase in most games your ability to plan effectively for future turns decreases because of the rate at which the game state changes.

Yeah, I can understand that. I think the game makes it even worse by having MORE thieves in a 5-player game. There's just so little you can do in order to mitigate this sort of luck.

I think I will house-rule so that:

a) sandstorms are more evenly interspersed in the deck, and
b) less thieves and/or the person being stolen from can choose which card to give up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P Santos
United States
LAS VEGAS
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Actually, the thieves add another layer of gameplay. I played this game with 4 and 5 players. I noticed that players have to be careful so as not to be picked by thieves. When players notice that you are not doing anything but dig for treasure during your turns, then they start suspecting you have lots of high value cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.