Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Evett
United States
Dallas
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This just came up in our game. Late in the game Shuttle Diplomacy is played -- which allows you to disregard a Soviet battleground in the next scoring in the Middle East or Asia, whichever comes first. Neither card appears again, and we are at final scoring. So, which is scored first?

My thinking is to score the regions in Defcon order (Europe, Asia, Middle East, and then??) What do you think? -- PAE

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. Scott Johnson
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shuttle Diplomacy doesn't affect final scoring at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Evett
United States
Dallas
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What would be the reason for that? The card says "next scoring" not next scoring card scoring. -- PAE

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
paevett wrote:
What would be the reason for that? The card says "next scoring" not next scoring card scoring. -- PAE

I believe it is because Shuttle Diplomacy is only effective during the Action Rounds. Once you get to Final Scoring, you are no longer subject to the effects of the cards so SD should be discarded at this point and the continents scored normally w/o any outside influences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris White
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BrianMola wrote:
paevett wrote:

I believe it is because Shuttle Diplomacy is only effective during the Action Rounds. Once you get to Final Scoring, you are no longer subject to the effects of the cards so SD should be discarded at this point and the continents scored normally w/o any outside influences.

Formosan Resolution still counts in final scoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
traininthedistance wrote:
BrianMola wrote:
paevett wrote:

I don't think this is correct. This may be errata for 1st edition but 2nd edition is quite clear:

Formosan Resolution wrote:
Taiwan shall be treated as a Battleground country for scoring purposes, if the US controls Taiwan when the Asian Scoring Card is played. Taiwan is not a Battleground country for any other game purpose. This card is discarded after US play of The China Card.

Emphasis added.

Also, there is the The China Card:

The China Card wrote:
Begins the game with the USSR player +1 Operations value when all points are used in Asia. Pass to opponent after play. +1 VP for the player holding this card at the end of Turn 10. Cancels effect of 'Formosan Resolution' if this card is played by the US player.

Which earns you an additional Victory Point but only at the end of the 10th turn, not during Final ScoringSo I don't think there are any cards that impact Final Scoring.

EDIT: Messed up quotes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian -

Your final quote box refers to the text on the Formosa card, not the China card.

Final Scoring does not have an "order". All of the points are tallied, and the net points are recorded before determining who wins. So neither Asia or the Mid-East is "first". That is why Shuttle Diplomacy has no effect.

There has been a ruling by the designers that the Formosan Resolution does effect final scoring. Just another of lifes little inconsistencies.

Of course, if aoneplayer controls Europe during final scoring, then that player wins without having to count VPs at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. Scott Johnson
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paevett wrote:

Here's the reason Jason gave when the issue first came up:

Jason Matthews on CSW wrote:
The intent is to have the card apply only to scoring cards, though the wording is more open ended. However, to allow the card to count in final scoring, we would have devise a rule dictating the order in which regions are scored. So, I think it is cleaner to disallow Shuttle Diplomacy in Final Scoring.

Link to Jason's post:
http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@99.5X2zbgpKKkH.10@.1dcfd...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. Scott Johnson
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BrianMola wrote:
traininthedistance wrote:

I don't think this is correct. This may be errata for 1st edition but 2nd edition is quite clear:

Formosan Resolution wrote:
Taiwan shall be treated as a Battleground country for scoring purposes, if the US controls Taiwan when the Asian Scoring Card is played. Taiwan is not a Battleground country for any other game purpose. This card is discarded after US play of The China Card.

Emphasis added.

It could be that it counts because of the wording of 10.3.2:

Rulebook 10.3.2 wrote:
If neither side has achieved victory of
any kind by the end of turn 10, then every Region is scored as if its
regional scoring card had just been played

Emphasis added.

But at any rate, it is designer intent to have it counted:
http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@98.XkFcci4FPdN.0@.1dcfda...

Both this and the Shuttle Diplomacy rulings, among others, are collected here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/97390

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Evett
United States
Dallas
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Big thanks for getting me the accurate info from Jason on this issue! Crud, I am probably going to lose, but yea we will play the game correctly! -- PAE

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls