Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
I know, everyone is panicking. Really it's just a slight re-organization for people who buy the next print run of Cthulhu Wars (or get the Omega Rulebook).

In essence, the game's turn structure is now:

1) Action phase
2) Gather Power phase
3) Determine First Player phase
4) Doom phase

On all faction cards, the Set Up info includes that you start with 8 Power, and the rules say how to choose the first First Player.

I feel it is cleaner putting the Action phase first. At least we no longer need the kinda-awkward rule of "no Doom phase in the first turn". Nothing in actual gameplay is changed by this, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Gourion
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
it fits the actual turn structure of Gods war
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mb
No panicking. It makes perfect sense.

I just introduced the game to six new players at a mini-con this past weekend - three games in a row (including one six player game!). Game explanation went smooth as always; this change actually will make it easier and more intuitive. Every one of them asked about how to get a copy, by the way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dennett
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Always play to win, don't care if you lose.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always explained it this way and just told people to ignore the order on the reference cards. Makes way more sense this way, especially since the game usually ends in the Doom phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason's Good Twin
United States
New Cumberland
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Does any of the material in OS2 reflect this? I don't know if you mean the current (OS2) or next print run of the omega rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
All items newly-printed for OS2 (basically, the second edition core game, the faction sheets, the hint cards, and the omega rulebook) describe this turn structure.

Obviously, copies of the core game (already shipped to backers) won't have this change, since they are first edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason's Good Twin
United States
New Cumberland
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Gotcha. I have an Omega rulebook on the way. I'll have to see if we can get the updated player aid cards added to this "card pack" we are working on here: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1660285/request-art-and...

Speaking of art, do you guys share the art or text for the neutral monster / GOO cards anywhere? We could use it to update the player aids and cards ahead of the OS2 release.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandy Petersen wrote:
All items newly-printed for OS2 (basically, the second edition core game, the faction sheets, the hint cards, and the omega rulebook) describe this turn structure.

Obviously, copies of the core game (already shipped to backers) won't have this change, since they are first edition.

Hey Sandy, will the PDFs on the PG website be updated to reflect the change? I print them as mini booklets on my colour laser so they don't have the footprint of the original manuals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Doe
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Sandy Petersen wrote:
In essence, the game's turn structure is now:

1) Action phase
2) Gather Power phase
3) Determine First Player phase
4) Doom phase

I'm a fan of this change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanasis Patsios
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The change does make sense Sandy. It would be nice if you could include updated player aids with the "update pack" backers will receive from OS2. Just a thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Roos
Sweden
Jönköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NasosP wrote:
The change does make sense Sandy. It would be nice if you could include updated player aids with the "update pack" backers will receive from OS2. Just a thought.

Agree!
As well as additional copies for the now up to 8 player games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.