Subject: Reputable Newsman and free spells rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bernhard Vierthaler
Austria
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can the Newsman also choose the number 0 to block spells that the other player can play for free (e.g. through the Cinderblast Dragon)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Christensen
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The number that Reputable Newsman picks is the printed cost of the spell. So he can pick 0 but it will only block spells with a printed cost of 0. Spells that have their cost modified don't check the modified cost but the cost printed on the card.

At least this is how I'm 95% sure it's played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ClanNatioy wrote:
The number that Reputable Newsman picks is the printed cost of the spell. So he can pick 0 but it will only block spells with a printed cost of 0. Spells that have their cost modified don't check the modified cost but the cost printed on the card.

At least this is how I'm 95% sure it's played.

That's exactly how it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard Vierthaler
Austria
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the if he chooses the number 3 all spells with a 3 are blocked, even if I want to play them with my Cinderblast Dragon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Churchill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambs
flag msg tools
designer
"If we knew what we were building, it wouldn't be called research!"
badge
Sufficiently advanced mathematics is indistinguishable from magic
mbmbmbmbmb
Bernhard Vierthaler wrote:
So the if he chooses the number 3 all spells with a 3 are blocked, even if I want to play them with my Cinderblast Dragon?
Yes.
The spell is still treated as having a cost of 3, even if you don't have to pay that cost thanks to Cinderblast Dragon.

In the same way, Insurance Agent will still pay you $9 if an insured Gigadon dies, even if it only cost $1 to play, or arrived free via a Sanatorium.
Temporal Distortion can return a Gigadon and get you any Tech II unit that costs $9 or less, even if you only paid $1 for the Gigadon.
And indeed, True Power of Storms still considers Morningstar Flagbearer to cost $3, even if River Montoya's maxband means you'd only need to pay $2 to play it.

Everything that looks at a card's "cost" or "gold cost" looks at the number printed in the top right, regardless of what it actually might have cost to play due to assorted cost-changing effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.