Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Schonberg
Canada
Metcalfe
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just watched a video review by "All The Games You Like Are Bad" (I do really like his videos and discussion). In it he reviews the 2nd edition of Shadowrift. While good things were said, when he gets to his criticisms of the game I had to cringe. I even came here to see if the FAQ thread was actually 6 pages!!! A second edition of an expansion not even that old and incompatible with future expansions (Archfiends)??? Misprinted cards, no rules summary and other issues I am probably forgetting to mention have me seriously questioning my pre-order. I have been interested in the game for awhile and decided to wait for 2nd edition to "iron out" the game play. Unfortunately, I am now wondering if I should completely abandon this title? To put it simply do the problems with this game (and there are many even though this is a second attempt) make it worth investing in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never had the 1st edition...
I just got this one and imo is a GREAT game.

A long Faqs just means that many people are playing and asking question... I never play 1st ed, so something that was obvious to some, to me, well I did wrong and we noticed after, so we ask here.

This game just have 2 misprint (imo) Frozen Ground and Zombies (zombies they are replacing; they don't consider Frozen ground a misprint...)

I already pre-order Sickle Moon..

does it has it flaws? yea, it can be easy if you get lucky (I started a thread here about it, looking for a homebrew http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1663103/increase-difficulty) but as you can see the ratio win:lose is pretty nice anyway..

me, my bf and 2 friends that have try it LOVE it.

anyway... enjoy gaming..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest you actually read the FAQ thread.

Probably at least 1 page's worth of comments is one or two people arguing that one ruling should be errata, and result in a card reprint, rather than an FAQ.

And the rest are mostly clarifications of the usual kind of timing and interaction questions you'll find in pretty much all deckbuilder, LCG, or CCG rules forums.

The only difference here is that the questions are being asked in a single thread, and the designer is actively engaging with the community, and answering questions.

I've yet to receive my Kickstarter copy, but I have zero regrets backing it based on the fact that there's an FAQ thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a long-time fan of the first edition. It's a fantastic game. The only reason I went in for the new edition was for the chance to pick up future expansions. I have no doubts about this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Anderson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Quotho wrote:
I just watched a video review by "All The Games You Like Are Bad" (I do really like his videos and discussion). In it he reviews the 2nd edition of Shadowrift. While good things were said, when he gets to his criticisms of the game I had to cringe. I even came here to see if the FAQ thread was actually 6 pages!!! A second edition of an expansion not even that old and incompatible with future expansions (Archfiends)??? Misprinted cards, no rules summary and other issues I am probably forgetting to mention have me seriously questioning my pre-order. I have been interested in the game for awhile and decided to wait for 2nd edition to "iron out" the game play. Unfortunately, I am now wondering if I should completely abandon this title? To put it simply do the problems with this game (and there are many even though this is a second attempt) make it worth investing in?

Yeah, the FAQ page being large isn't the problem he makes it out to be. By and large the answers to these frequently asked questions are actually in the rulebook; I'm just answering them all personally instead of pointing people to page and paragraph because it doesn't actually help anyone to force them to look it up.
The Archfiends expansion complaint...I can sort of see where he's coming from but that, too, isn't as bad as it sounds. (By the way there's no second edition of Archfiends. It's still on the original print run)
The publisher could have bluffed and said the Zombie was supposed to just be bigger now, but instead they're printing new ones and mailing them to people on their own dime. So yes, there was a misprint, but it's being handled in the best way possible.

Obviously, I'm biased here. But do note the reviewer's conclusions: It's a good game that is a few flaws short of being his absolute favorite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beazer
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own and have enjoyed the 1st edition for a couple of years now.

I backed the the 2nd Edition kickstarter, the Eve of the Sicklemoon kickstarter, even back to the Archfiends kickstarter.

I have no regrets. This is a good, if imperfect game. Pretty much all of my games are imperfect, it doesn't really mean a thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
flag msg tools
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
Quotho wrote:
I even came here to see if the FAQ thread was actually 6 pages!!!

The FAQ is only the first post in the thread, which when printed is maybe two pages. Not at all excessive, and like most FAQ's, 80% of the content is stuff that is already covered in the rules, just restated to make things clearer for some people.

Quote:
A second edition of an expansion not even that old and incompatible with future expansions (Archfiends)???

Archfiends is a way to increase the difficulty of the base game. If future expansions are already designed to be difficult, it doesn't bother me at all that they do not include an archfiend deck...in fact, I prefer it.

Quote:
Misprinted cards

Unfortunate, but it happens. So far Shadowrift only has one misprinted card - hardly worth rejecting the game for, and less than other complex cards games like PACG.

Quote:
no rules summary

There is a rules summary. It is on the back of the rulebook.

Quote:
To put it simply do the problems with this game (and there are many even though this is a second attempt) make it worth investing in?

There are no problems with the game. It works great. Nothing Mark said should dissuade you from getting and enjoying the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.