Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Downey
United States
Richmond
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the things most people have noticed about warhammer quest is that at early level dungeons can be incredibly difficult to defeat. Here are a few rules and strategies that we tend to play with at first level to help make the game more fun and survivable.

Rule #1 - Let the wizard choose his first 3 spells. We use this to help characters survive the dungeon a lot easier. The most common choices among our group is Cure Small Wounds for healing, Freeze for attack, and Shield for defense. This gives the Wizard a great offensive spell to help lower the numbers of monsters in a room as well as a healing spell that he can save the life of a character with even when he rolls a 1 in the power phase (remember players never go below 0 wounds).

Rule #2 - No events during an event. This one is vitally important especially at low levels. If there are already monsters on the board and the wizard rolls a 1 during the power phase simply do not draw another even card. This keeps the dungeon from filling with monsters quicker than lower level players can kill them.

Rule #3 - All players start with max wounds. This rule has been implemented since our first few times playing and we have yet to see any real balance issues with this one at all.

These are further optional rules that I only use when playing with first time or novice players, I rarely use them with our advanced group but they do help alot.

Rule #4 - No Advanced Monsters - This means if you roll an 11 or 66 do not roll on the higher level monster table simply re-roll on the same level monster table.

Rule #5 - Simple Objective Rooms - Instead of rolling on the advanced objective room table simply roll three times on the monster table the same level as the dungeon. This gives a decent challenge without having to roll on incredibly high monster tables. I have seen a level 5 monster appear in a 1st level dungeon this way (we still managed to win!).

Now that you have some rules in place that should help you along here is a great tactic that we use at low levels to almost guarantee survival. Each time you enter a room always have the wizard stand in the corner with the other three characters standing in the squares around him. This will guarantee that there are no monsters placed next to the wizard. With this tactic the wizard will rarely get hit unless there are spell casting or shooting monsters. Using this plus the first three rules we rarely ever fail a first level dungeon anymore (unless of course a stupid Orc Shaman cast's Da Stomp on your wizard!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old Warrior
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a special Monster Table I created based upon the Roleplay book Monster Table, but modified for Battle-Level 1, First-Adventure Warrior parties. I find it gives a better chance generally for surviving the first adventure -- though it is still NOT a catwalk, AND it tends to give a little more variety than the original Event Card deck (actual Monster Event Card monsters). Everything I have to offer for Warhammer Quest is entirely free.

Here is the Link: Random Battle-Level One Monster Tables

Edit: I decided to give the link above since I see this being done quite often here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls