Darklight: Memento Mori» Forums » General

Subject: What are the plans for Darklight post launch? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raegan Ray-gun
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was wondering what the makers of DMM plan to do post launch. The game looks nice and I late backed (kinda expecting it to not finish but I want to help out a UK company) but I can't help but wonder what will happen once the game is out there. I'd suggest that if they decide to expand it another kickstarter would be logical, but I'm also concerned that it might be too financially taxing for them. In which case I'd understand them wanting to shut down and take it as a loss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think they will be making a loss on the game..they asked for 70k got over double that by the time the KS ended.plus people like you and me [late backers] will have swelled that a lot..plus I'm sure it will go to retail so they wont make a loss on it.. possibly make expansions for the game after the game has launched.would seem the logical way forward.
plus if the games as flexible as it seems then I'm sure a good modding community will get going on BGG that always helps look at Descent and Zombicide for instance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mauro pane
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mb
The future for Darklight is very hard to predict.

The game has not made the money we'd hoped for, which could be either because are unknown at this point or the fact that the idea is simply not as popular as other games.

This game is a LOT more expensive to produce then other games even those who have raised 10 times what we did because the game has over twice the components (miniatures, map tiles, doors and so forth) of most boardgames out there, money is extremely tight (thanks also to the "lovely" people who have voted Brexit, damaged British companies like ours and made us lose quite a lot of funds when in exchanging for the euro).

The fault is mine because I did not want to compromise in quality and presentation, I am an artist and designer not a business man, money was not my priority when making this game, I wanted to have an awesome project that nobody would be feel cheated out by backing, it is a shame however that this has not paid off so far, perhaps this will change once the game goes out there and is made ready to be purchased (but the price will be quite a bit higher).

Anyhow back on topic. Darklight is a game made to be easily modded and expanded by the community, this was one of my first priorities during design. It was my wish that I would launch it and see it evolve into something "more" by the community itself.

I will do my best to continue the free releases of the next chapters of the main story, since I believe it's going to blow people's mind toward the end. But this is a long and episodic process which requires lots of writing and quest designing.

In terms of expansions, we really need to see how well the game performs after release to be able to discuss about those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jérémy royaux
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gaming is a harsh world and the Brexit was very unfortunate
i'm happy that we can get the game anyway
If the reviews are good, you can expect good sales when it its retails.

Games like Zombicide don't need the reviews, people know these games already

DarkLight can be the best game in the world, it's still unknown and lots of people are waiting for reviews

I backed anyway because you put so much time and effort into that game that it's very hard not to believe it will be great ...

As you said, it will be very easily modded and people will love that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the reason why these games need the support from the community.

We will see how the game will be in the end. But when it delivers a few positive reviews (the big names f.e.) should be enough to create popularity.

Crossing fingers that this game will rock and that the created buzz in 2017 will allow you to make another KS.

The game system itself is not the problem (looking at the new Brimstone KS).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raegan Ray-gun
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes, I'm hopeful for the game and my heartaches for your troubles but I sincerely hope for the best. I realised I might have sounded rude but that wasn't my intent (not good with english, it's not my first language). I'm sure people will mod the game after launch and the RPG openness of it is what brought me in. Especially because I was looking for a warhammer quest replacement! (don't take that as an insult please, WQ is my favourite game of all time) Also I think even if the game doesn't do that well in retail but is well recieved, you should still consider doing a kickstarter for expansions/a reprint. It'll definitely get more attention if this project is a success and you can make the payment be in euros instead of pounds if that would help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mauro pane
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Thanks for your words guys they mean a lot to me, they really gives me that inspirational kick to push things even harder to get them done.

There are many plans for the future of this game, so let's hope we can make as many of them a reality
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A to the MEN!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I've been sitting on the fence but still hoping to be a late backer of the game if I can afford it. There are a LOT of miniatures games coming out of Kickstarter these days, so unfortunately I can see it being really hard to make a big splash in that huge pond. Good luck with the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skolo
Netherlands
R`dam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mauro, some companies are running 2nd KS project to rise more funds for the base game (previous campaign)
Maybe its an idea to gather more funds and to offer only minis for example?
Look at the Masters of the Deep

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raegan Ray-gun
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
skolo wrote:
Mauro, some companies are running 2nd KS project to rise more funds for the base game (previous campaign)
Maybe its an idea to gather more funds and to offer only minis for example?
Look at the Masters of the Deep

I think this would be a good idea, he could do something like this at some point if direly needed and either way I still think he should do an expansion KS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jernej peter
Slovenia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the most important thing is that you guys (developers) dont bankrupt before this game is released.

Because after that it all depends how good the game really is. I believe in it as many backers do, and if it will meet our expectations and reviews are good,than you will have bright future in front of you. Many people are looking for games like this.

This is you first game, people dont know you (and many dont trust you jet) and you cannot expect to succeed on your first KS project (but i hope you will), because even you dont know how good game developer you are. Time will tell...

But i REALLY REALLY REALLY hope that you succeed with this game. Best of luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MauroP wrote:
The future for Darklight is very hard to predict.

The game has not made the money we'd hoped for, which could be either because are unknown at this point or the fact that the idea is simply not as popular as other games.

This game is a LOT more expensive to produce then other games even those who have raised 10 times what we did because the game has over twice the components (miniatures, map tiles, doors and so forth) of most boardgames out there, money is extremely tight (thanks also to the "lovely" people who have voted Brexit, damaged British companies like ours and made us lose quite a lot of funds when in exchanging for the euro).

The fault is mine because I did not want to compromise in quality and presentation, I am an artist and designer not a business man, money was not my priority when making this game, I wanted to have an awesome project that nobody would be feel cheated out by backing, it is a shame however that this has not paid off so far, perhaps this will change once the game goes out there and is made ready to be purchased (but the price will be quite a bit higher).

Anyhow back on topic. Darklight is a game made to be easily modded and expanded by the community, this was one of my first priorities during design. It was my wish that I would launch it and see it evolve into something "more" by the community itself.

I will do my best to continue the free releases of the next chapters of the main story, since I believe it's going to blow people's mind toward the end. But this is a long and episodic process which requires lots of writing and quest designing.

In terms of expansions, we really need to see how well the game performs after release to be able to discuss about those.
Hi,Mauro.

yes,i think I agree with all you said.and if a game is modabble it will be a success..i go back to what I used as examples earlier..Descent 2nd edition..and Zombicide...both very moddable with backing from the developers.and it breeds a thriving community around the game!!..I mean descent has been out quite a few years now..and its still going very strong [even before the app].so,i think as long support is there and modabilty is there you will have a lot of interest on here [I will do my fair share of drum banging
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mauro pane
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mb
tootz wrote:

Hi,Mauro.

yes,i think I agree with all you said.and if a game is modabble it will be a success..i go back to what I used as examples earlier..Descent 2nd edition..and Zombicide...both very moddable with backing from the developers.and it breeds a thriving community around the game!!..I mean descent has been out quite a few years now..and its still going very strong [even before the app].so,i think as long support is there and modabilty is there you will have a lot of interest on here [I will do my fair share of drum banging

Awesome, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
just another thought Mauro...

I think part of the "not raising as much as others" issue was the timing of the KS you were up against 3 other massive company KS d&d type games..and that will have hit the interest in the game.I myself was going to go for dark souls..then saw this.and made the late pledge on it straight away!!
so I think its more the timing but long term I think this game will do very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mauro pane
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mb
The only other big game that was going at the time I believe was MASMORRA.

But I kind of find hard to believe that people would need to make a choice between Darklight and that. One is a sweet fantasy chibi boardgame, the other is a grim-dark RPG-boardgame hybrid, they are too different to compete against one another, most who like one, usually do not like the other kind (I do realize that is not a rule).

Now let's say that we came around the same time as Shadow of Brimstone. We share similarities in the type of game (even though the settings are completely different) so that I can understand.

Could be wrong tho!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MauroP wrote:

But I kind of find hard to believe that people would need to make a choice between Darklight and that. One is a sweet fantasy chibi boardgame, the other is a grim-dark RPG-boardgame hybrid, they are too different to compete against one another, most who like one, usually do not like the other kind (I do realize that is not a rule).

Now let's say that we came around the same time as Shadow of Brimstone. We share similarities in the type of game (even though the settings are completely different) so that I can understand.

Could be wrong tho!
Hi,Mauro.

I cant remember just what the other games where but there was afew around that time..anyway,hopefully quite a few people have done like I did..late pledged!..i missed the actual KS but,when I found out about it..i thought "that's for me!!.. bought in straight away then next day added the bosses addon..
got shadows of brimstone "swamps" top game..but the theme on this game sounds much better.AND..there are very few if any Dark fantasy boardgames with minis [not card games].on the market
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Highlord Tamburlaine
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a random thought-

Would doing a limited run of resin models be a possibility of a fund raiser?

It's not like Kingdom Death wasn't doing this for quite some time to help keep the project going.

Plus I know we were ogling them on Dakka quite a while back. I still remember seeing the optional parts for the Black Knight. I didn't forget!

With the amount of resin casters available in the UK as well it might be easy to find somebody reputable to work with.

Like I said though, just a thought on something that could help put a few more gold coins in the coffers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mauro pane
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mb
illiterate bookworm wrote:
Just a random thought-

Would doing a limited run of resin models be a possibility of a fund raiser?

It's not like Kingdom Death wasn't doing this for quite some time to help keep the project going.

Plus I know we were ogling them on Dakka quite a while back. I still remember seeing the optional parts for the Black Knight. I didn't forget!

With the amount of resin casters available in the UK as well it might be easy to find somebody reputable to work with.

Like I said though, just a thought on something that could help put a few more gold coins in the coffers.

It is a very good thought, one which we have often planned. The main issue is that within the UK we have found only 1 very good resin caster, but he sells to us a price which means we would need to to charge a minimum of £10 per standard miniature to our customers for a very marginal profit, so I do not really know how many people would be interested in that. Maybe for the main Accursed only

If we were to sell the Berserker in resin I think we would need to sell him at least around £50. Maybe there is a market for it, I guess it much depends on the success of the game.

It is definitely something we will need to know ahead before having them produced, but I doubt many people would be ok with placing an order and receiving it only 3-4+ weeks later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raegan Ray-gun
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Actually you'd be surprised. I mean people kickstart things and wait years sometimes! Just make it clear that it's a pre-order! As for pricing: For a high quality resin mini people will happily pay £10+! Remember that Resin minis are a big appeal in that they're very finely cast and such. People are willing to pay for the quality. I would buy all the accursed! Or you could even make alt gender accursed resin models!

P.S. Am I still allowed to just use another model if I make my character female? I hate seeing a male model for a female character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Rodda
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MauroP wrote:

I think a bigger issue at the time was both a lack of exposure, a glut of big miniatures projects at the time (if I remember right you were only a few months out from Sword and Sorcery and The Others, and Perdition's Mouth suffered a similar lack of interest in around the same period), and the company being an unknown.

Having said that, I don't know how Deep Madness has managed to pull almost 800k under the same conditions. A perfect storm of cool theme and adequately bland gameplay would be my guess (with a Cthulhuesque theme, that seems to be key). That and people are starting to see the results of previously backed games like Conan and Zombicide, which were still hanging over our heads in March.

Hell, maybe it was even people holding out for Massive Darkness, which was being teased by CMoN at the time. Or maybe it's just the time of year, many people would have still been in post-christmas mode when the Darklight Kickstarter hit. It's later in the year now and it seems like not a week goes by without something doing really well in its first couple of days. It seem that October/November is the season to be on kickstarter if you want to fund your game. Hell, even Mantic managed to pull off a fairly significant win with Star Saga despite the fact that it's predecessor was a hot mess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mauro pane
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mb
shogekiha wrote:
Actually you'd be surprised. I mean people kickstart things and wait years sometimes! Just make it clear that it's a pre-order! As for pricing: For a high quality resin mini people will happily pay £10+! Remember that Resin minis are a big appeal in that they're very finely cast and such. People are willing to pay for the quality. I would buy all the accursed! Or you could even make alt gender accursed resin models!

It is definitely something I would like to explore post launch.

shogekiha wrote:

P.S. Am I still allowed to just use another model if I make my character female? I hate seeing a male model for a female character.

Sure why not! I am always very curious to see how people will customize their experience. Share whenever you can!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raegan Ray-gun
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MauroP wrote:
Sure why not! I am always very curious to see how people will customize their experience. Share whenever you can!

I'll try my best to find a fitting model. It doesn't help that your Black Knight model is amazing in terms of design. Maybe I'll use a KD:M Dark Paladin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Highlord Tamburlaine
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Too bad you have to actually get that Dark Paladin to ship first!

(Says the guy impatiently waiting for his as well.)

I had toyed with the idea of using the "generic" KD classes as alt genders for Darklight as well.

At least until we get some official alternate genders!

What about getting some good old metal figures produced?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mauro pane
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mb
illiterate bookworm wrote:

What about getting some good old metal figures produced?

For a small run like 15-30 copies for each model, it is a lot cheaper and affordable to just go with Resin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.