Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Campbell
Australia
Monterey
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is anyone else having trouble running the browser based app?

I've clicked through to https://xcomapp.fantasyflightgames.com/web/Player.html from the FFG game page, clicked on the "Unity Web Player Install Now!" icon, installed the player, restarted the browser and I get the same page asking me to install the Unity Player. I'm running Windows 10 and have tried in both Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge with neither working.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Boucher
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mmm maybe trying using an iOS or Android emulator on your computer? I used BlueStacks for one game for a while and I'm satisfied with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Teague
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I haven't tried the web app, but the Windows app still works fine. Have you given that a try? It works fine for me on Win 10.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/xcom-the-boar...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Rimbey
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't get it working in Chrome or Edge either, but it does seem to work in firefox
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Campbell
Australia
Monterey
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
barinthus wrote:
Mmm maybe trying using an iOS or Android emulator on your computer? I used BlueStacks for one game for a while and I'm satisfied with it.

I did not realise such emulators existed! Thanks for the info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Campbell
Australia
Monterey
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cteague3 wrote:
I haven't tried the web app, but the Windows app still works fine. Have you given that a try? It works fine for me on Win 10.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/xcom-the-boar...

I have downloaded the Windows 10 app (haven't run it yet) but was curious about running it in a browser and was really surprised that it didn't work. Wanted to know if others had had the same problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Campbell
Australia
Monterey
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pseudoevil wrote:
I can't get it working in Chrome or Edge either, but it does seem to work in firefox

Thanks. Will try Firefox and see how it goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
flag msg tools
pseudoevil wrote:

Ah, the joys of web development!

I suppose I can't really blame a board game company for not doing cross-browser testing, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geppo Muzzak
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I still think the best option is a cell phone when compared to a PC and its browser. The beauty of the boardgame is that you bring it around at friends'. It's portable, not fixed and so must the app be. When setting up the board you need the central officer to have the screen at hand and finger is better than mouse... a matter of feeling... with the game.

If it works like a charm on my old Samsung S3 Neo i guess it works on ANY cell phone with a decent screen. I find it hard to believe one is compelled to use a pc and browser when there's more smart phones than people on this planet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Campbell
Australia
Monterey
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GShock112 wrote:
I still think the best option is a cell phone when compared to a PC and its browser. The beauty of the boardgame is that you bring it around at friends'. It's portable, not fixed and so must the app be. When setting up the board you need the central officer to have the screen at hand and finger is better than mouse... a matter of feeling... with the game.

I have a touchscreen laptop, so using a finger on it is no problem. Nor is portability. As noted above, I could use the Windows based app too.
GShock112 wrote:
If it works like a charm on my old Samsung S3 Neo i guess it works on ANY cell phone with a decent screen. I find it hard to believe one is compelled to use a pc and browser when there's more smart phones than people on this planet.

I also have an iPhone, iPad and an iPod. The use of an app based device is not the issue nor a compulsion to use a PC and browser, merely curiosity that if the browser based version is meant to work, has anyone been able to achieve this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.