Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
@Alex Draper - The English translation will be as good as I can help to make it. I want an unambiguous rulebook too

For those of you familiar with Monolith's Conan KS, one of the problems with the fulfillment of the game was its rulebook. Game designer Jake Thornton has joined up with Mythic and Monolith to help out with the rulebook and translation.

Jake Thornton has a long list of game design, including Mantic-related game credits. We've had some discussion on Dakka about his leaving Mantic. (Basically, he's good at core game development, and weak on campaign rules. MB, afaik, has not campaign rules.)

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamedesigner/944/jake-thornto...
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/450/702646.p...

JT also has an entry on MB on his Quirkworthy blog: https://quirkworthy.com/

EDIT: JT himself has written a Greek miniatures wargame, Tribes of Legends. I suspect you can use many of the MB miniatures in this game, and Tribes has a solo campaign: : http://thefrontlinegamer.blogspot.com/2012/03/review-tribes-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So can we have Jake do the v2 English Conan rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is good to have someone, who is a native speaker and knows/plays the game, to do the rulebook/translation. That should work well.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Another post by Jake. He's the community whatever on KS, as well as working on the rulebook:

Quote:
Quirkworthy Collaborator

@Eric Holweck - I've been talking to the Gods about translations again. One thing they said was that they would rather have no translation than have a bad one as that just causes problems (reading between the lines here, I think this was bad experiences as players rather than Conan). In the case of MB, our reference version will actually be the English one that I'm working on now. It's been translated well already (in terms of making general sense in English), but the details, game jargon, and consistency of terminology need improving to make it really shine.

I think we all want the same thing here. It's just about getting it to work practically.

@Luke Abberley - absolutely. MB is following an entirely different plan for the translation of the rules in order to avoid these issues. I am one of several people working on a beta version of the English rules now, so that we can post it during the KS and get all your feedback. it looks pretty at the moment, but it still needs work on the details, so we want to clear them up

@Haru - I agree. It's always easier in your own language. Not always possible though. I still have several games in my collection which were never translated into English.

@Eric Holweck - I'm afraid it's not that simple. With games, the translator has to understand game jargon in general and the specific game itself to make sense of the subtleties. I've worked with non-gaming translators, and even very good ones. Not a good plan. Also, entirely outside the technical aspect of getting the language right, there are other challenges. For example, some distributors want to do their own translations, and won't use other people's. Like I said, it's always more complex than you might expect.

I don't personally have the big red button to release the updates. I just write them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.