The first iteration of our Discord-based Fight Club has concluded satisfactorily, and so I'm happy to announce the commencement of submissions for our second round of custom character fights, Project M. Like Fight Club, Project M will be done entirely through the spreadsheet system, because not everyone wants to have to actually mess with Adobe Illustrator or any of that nonsense to get something presentable on TTS/Vassal. If you are not familiar with it, feel free to contact me and we'll set up an introduction.
Character Creation: Make yourself a copy of the custom character template (bit.ly/BaCON-Custom). Your character must be constructed subject to the following constraints:
* No more than five Styles in hand during the game. (Having more in your kit that will be selected out, Endrbyt-style, is fine.)
* No more than twelve Bases in hand during the game. (Same constraints as above. We're a little looser on this one, but twelves seems like a reasonable upper-bound.)
* No effects that move Bases from one player's hand to the other's. (It's related to the above. Effects that lock those cards up somewhere are fine though.)
* No UAs that create additional Discard piles. (And preferably nothing that changes their number at all. Things just get messy.)
* No name collisions with your own cards or the Alpha Bases.
These are all tech constraints; the magic behind the scenes is fickle indeed.
In addition, the Aesthetics and Mechanics winners from round one have provided the following prompts:
* Theme: Antiques and Scrapyards
* Mechanics: No frills -- the only thing in your character kit is your UA card, some Styles, some Bases, your Finisher(s), and a reference.
Please conform to at least one of these prompts with your design (and preferably both). I won't actually enforce this in any way (specifically, not by rejecting your character outright), but your favorite parent or parental figure and I will be very disappointed in you, we didn't raise you this way. There will be a community vote at the end for "best use of secret ingredients".
Match Format: Each round, you will be paired with an opponent and should complete two duels: one using your own characters, and one with your characters swapped. Duels are to take place using the Force Timer and the Dodge Base:
Force Timer is the new special-action-system introduced in Trials. It is based on the existing Force Gauge rules, except:
* No static match timer is provided. Instead, the game starts with a pool of 40 Force, from which players each draw their initial 2. Whenever players would gain Force, they draw that Force from the pool. If, when setting attack pairs, the Force pool is empty, the current beat will be the last one.
* Whenever players would gain Force past their normal limit of 10, the Force is still removed from the pool, but no Force gain is made past the cap. Whenever players would gain Force and the pool is empty, they gain the Force anyways.
* Force may no longer be ante'd for Soak, nor spent at EoB: for Pulse.
Dodge is like Dash, except that its Priority is 3, and the dodging movement is at Start of Beat: instead of After Activating:.
In the event of a tie in Life totals when a duel's timer runs out, you and your opponent shall play additional beats until there is a Life disparity during a Recycle step; then the fighter with more Life wins the duel.
Points will be awarded for duel outcomes: 3 for a win, 0 for a loss (2-1 if the game goes past the beat limit and the tiebreaker above occurs).
If you attempt to play a card that you don't have in hand, your opponent chooses a legal replacement card from your hand.
Tournament Format: You will have 8 days to complete your two duels, as well as a 2 day grace period for overflow and to allow people to patch their characters to account for design flaws and balance issues. In the event of a match which goes past the real-life time limit, one or zero wins will be awarded ad hoc based on which player was making a better-faith effort to conclude the duel. Based on this timing, there will be 4 rounds of play, concluding on December 22 so we can properly submit this as organized play for the year.
There will be an announcement of winners afterward in the following categories:
* Winningest Player -- Determined by duel points for hoisting people by their own petards. No real reward, though.
* Best Use of Secret Ingredients -- Determined by vote. No real reward, though.
* Best Aesthetics and Theming -- Determined by vote. You get to suggest the theme for the next round of this, assuming there is one.
* Best Mechanics and Balance -- Determined by vote. You get to suggest a mechanic for the next round of this, assuming there is one.
How to Enter: Create a duplicate of http://bit.ly/BaCON-Custom and fill it out with your character details. PM a link of that sheet to me by end of day November 11, where end of day is loosely defined in whatever manner makes the most sense for you. Please include some kind of version number on the sheet so that I can easily tell whether I have the most up-to-date copy of your character.
I will announce pairing assignments at noon EDT on Saturday, November 12. You are encouraged to join the Discord channel at https://discord.gg/pvXtcKx to receive the most consistent announcement and to mull over your character design with other contestants.
- Last edited Fri Nov 4, 2016 2:12 pm (Total Number of Edits: 2)
- Posted Wed Nov 2, 2016 1:37 am
Hm... This sounds like it could be interesting. I think I even have a concept that would work pretty well for the theme. Balancing it out, though, that's going to be tricky.
If we want to talk through a concept, do mind if it happens here, or would you rather it be split off into a separate thread?
The most expedient way to get feedback on your character is to hang out in the Discord (#fightclub) and get it raked over the coals. (This includes issues with your wording and rules interactions, which many people get wrong.) Our most active members will also be happy to playtest your custom character (albeit usually against their own occasionally strange designs).
- Last edited Fri Nov 4, 2016 2:13 pm (Total Number of Edits: 2)
- Posted Wed Nov 2, 2016 3:11 pm