Hide
10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: Flyting - 18 Card Microgame Contest rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mus Rattus
msg tools
Flyting, as Wikipedia can tell you, is "a contest consisting of the exchange of insults, often conducted in verse, between two parties".

When I first thought about games played with a small number of cards, I thought of Love Letter. How I went from a game about writing letters of love to a game about exchanging insults may be a mystery.

I haven't made PnP files yet, so here is a brief description of the rules, with two particularly important rules described more fully.

Number of Players: 2
Time: 5-10 minutes

Overview:
Both players receive a hand of 8 cards.
They each select 4 cards from their hand to play.
The 4 selected cards represent a verse of poetic insults.
The verses are judged based on their potency, creativity, and rhyming.
The first player to win 3 verses wins the contest.

EDIT: Rules have changed. Described on cards.

Scoring Procedure for Verses:
"Verbal Pyrotechnics" - +1 if the greatest Potency in this verse is greater than the greatest Potency in the opponent's verse
"Verbal Pyrotechnics 2" - +1 if the lowest Potency in this verse is greater than the lowest Potency in the opponent's verse
"Creativity" - +1 if this verse has more unique symbols in it than the other verse
"Rhyming" - +1 for each pair of cards that belong to the same Rhyme group. (e.g. AABC would be +1, AADD would be +2. AAAE should be +1, so I should have a stronger phrasing of this rule)

Add any bonuses as described on cards. If a card says it gives +1 for something that is already scored, that is in addition to the scoring.

In the event of a tie, the verse containing the highest tie-breaker number on any card in it wins the round.

The Comeback Rule:
Poets can gain back ground by coming up with clever comebacks to their opponent's words. After a player wins a round, the loser chooses one card from the winner's verse and adds it to their hand. Then, the loser discards a card from their verse and the winner places it face down in front of them to keep score. Then, both players prepare their next verse.

Components:
18 cards, reserving 2 for rules, leaves 16 for play.
While the cards may not need to be shuffled, simultaneous action selection requires that they have common backs.

As of now, the cards I am testing with have three values:
1) Potency: a value from 1 to 5. These represent the "verbal pyrotechnics" and strength of imagery.
2) Category: each card belongs to 1 of 4 categories. These will correspond to categories of insults.
3) Rhyme: each card belongs to 1 of 5 rhyming groups. Cards of the same group are said to rhyme with each other.
4) Tie-Breaker: each cards has a unique number from 1 to 16. I'm not sure what this will represent.

Open Questions:
How should the cards be divided? Randomly? Some form of draft? I have been play-testing with random hands.
Is the combination of values (Potency, Category, Rhyme) good? Does it make for interesting decisions?
Are the special abilities any good? Do they make for more interesting decisions?

Problems:
The bonus for highest high-card is seldom claimed. Usually there is a tie for 5. This might be fine, as it limits options. By playing a 5-card to deny your opponent the bonus, you are missing out on other potential sources of points.
I don't think the solution is to add in higher values, it might be better to make cards with lower values better, or to distributes the Categories so that there is more incentive to play lower-valued cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mus Rattus
msg tools
Re: [WIP] Flyting - 18 Card Microgame Contest
Here is a first draft of card sheets.
No backs yet, and two spaces are reserved for Rules cards.

I don't really recommend anyone print these, but they do give more of an idea of what the game is like. Playtesting is being done with pencil and paper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
Awesome! The flyting mechanism in the Monkey Island games was a big part of what made them great. I can't wait to see what insults you come up with...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mus Rattus
msg tools
JohnKean wrote:
Awesome! The flyting mechanism in the Monkey Island games was a big part of what made them great. I can't wait to see what insults you come up with...

I think that having actual insults on the cards would get old very quickly if you were reading the same things round after round. I would like to include a few choice quotations, just because the language is so much fun. But they'd just be there for color, not something that must be read.

The plan is to eventually have "Categories" of insults. Those related to your opponent's moral character, their physical appearance, bodily functions, etc... so that the cards would represent the different sorts of insults that were in your verse. Right now these are just represented by a symbol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
Oh I see.
What about each player having a word list that they can choose from to fill in the blanks of an insult. So like: "Your ---- is as ---- as a ----" and you could choose "breath", "comely", "roadkill jackrabbit" or other combinations. Kids would love that stuff! You could mark each word somehow when used so the options change... OK I'm getting carried away now.
Cheers, JK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mus Rattus
msg tools
Here are the print and play sheets for Flyting
If anyone actually wants to print this, and not just look at the sheets, I can provide a low-ink version.

No card backs, as I think I mostly fit the rules on one side.
The background image is CC from MyPhotoShopBrushes https://www.flickr.com/photos/myphotoshopbrushes/3242490894/.
Anyways, here's hoping the rules are clear enough from what I could fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello! Stopping by to say I love the idea of this game, and have been looking at it.

Where did you get the flavor text from? (The quotes at the bottom of the cards). I ask because some of it is confusing in that I expected more rhyming on the card about gaining points when rhyming.

Also, I notice the insane tab space on the rules card (nothing wrong with that). I just wanted to say that I find, when I'm pressed for space but still want tabs, that creating the tab spacing myself instead of going with the default tab space, works much better. Often 4 or 5 spaces is enough to create differentiation at the start of paragraphs. I don't know if that would be useful to you - but it does mean more space for rules when space is a premium in 18 card games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mus Rattus
msg tools
adularia25 wrote:
Hello! Stopping by to say I love the idea of this game, and have been looking at it.

Where did you get the flavor text from? (The quotes at the bottom of the cards). I ask because some of it is confusing in that I expected more rhyming on the card about gaining points when rhyming.

Also, I notice the insane tab space on the rules card (nothing wrong with that). I just wanted to say that I find, when I'm pressed for space but still want tabs, that creating the tab spacing myself instead of going with the default tab space, works much better. Often 4 or 5 spaces is enough to create differentiation at the start of paragraphs. I don't know if that would be useful to you - but it does mean more space for rules when space is a premium in 18 card games!

The text comes from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flyting_of_Dumbar_and_Kenn..., wikipedia has links to versions of the text with modern spelling. If I'd dedicated more time to choosing the quotes, I would have liked cards in the same rhyme-group to have rhyming flavour text.

I don't recall what my thought process was with the tabs, but I don't think the space saved would make difference. It would have been better to actually make some card backs, so that I could have rules on both sides. That could really help with clarity.

How did you find the rules? Anything terribly unclear? Since there seems to be some (more than none) interest in this, I will upload a low-ink (sans background image) version this evening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, there is definitely some interest! Please do continue to work on it, there is a contest coming up next year which is specifically for games created this year which were improved upon. I think you should enter it with this game.

The rules seem unambiguous enough. I might put the win condition in a slightly different location so it is easily spotted, call it out at the start or the end. But I know, space constraints, and it really is a minor quibble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mus Rattus
msg tools
Low-ink versions!
Lost the demarcating lines, but I'm feeling particularly lazy at the moment. Sorry!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.