Captain Sonar» Forums » General

Subject: How easy is it to cheat? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J C
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I'm intrigued by this game...but the rules explanations I've heard make it seem like it's super easy to cheat, or at least to get away with mistakes/oversights.

How likely is this to happen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Valdez
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mistakes, I'm not so sure it's that easy. It's pretty straightforward to make one mark at a time. But there's always ways you can cheat with any game. The captain could say a direction and draw a different direction, the first mate could prep systems faster, and the engineer could fake damaging systems. But again, you would have to be playing with people that want to INTENTIONALLY cheat and ruin fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Herman
United States
Sussex
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Below are a couple major accidental rules violations in my experience. I won't address intentional cheating because it cannot easily be prevented.

1. Make sure the captain receives FM and Engineer OK's before proceeding with next action. It's really easy to forget to wait for them and is a fairly major problem if it happens repeatedly.
2. Captain needs to say "HEAD [DIRECTION]" when issuing a finalized move command. If the captain forgets the word "HEAD" it makes it very difficult for the Radio Operator to determine if that was the final movement order and not just discussion with the team.
3. Make sure Stops are strictly obeyed, especially while surfaced, especially that all team members except the captain should just be listening to the stop order (not discussing options with the captain). Rules: "Announce “STOP” and raise a fist. All other players stop what they are doing and listen."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

From my own nine-game experience with 7-8 players per game, I agree 100% with Sean! I think he summed-it all up perfectly. Especially item 1, and item 2, and item 3!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Brankov
Serbia
Novi Sad
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also wanted to contribute but Sean summed it up perfectly. Obey these rules and it's gonna be perfect. We started doing this after 3rd game.

We had major problem with system activation and stopping time. Captain would announce STOP, and then his team would discuss where to shoot and where to send a drone. Do not do that.
Captain must make sure a system is active and ready to be used and to what coordinates BEFORE he stops the the game, raise the fist, issue an order, wait for a report, lower the fist and the play continues. We will definitely add Sean's suggestion that everybody must be silent when Captain is issuing an order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.