Canada
Terrebonne
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I need your opinion on these questions.

Are differences between the 3rd edition significant enough to buy the 3rd edition at the big price or I better go for an old copy found on Ebay at cheapest cost?

Is the old version (Avalon Hill) is still playable with the new rules?

Are the counters the same?

Is it a better move to buy the 3rd Edition (MMP) and why?

Regards!

Louis-David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
barkmann wrote:

Is the old version (Avalon Hill) is still playable with the new rules?

Absolutely.

Quote:

Yes.

Quote:
Are differences between the 3rd edition significant enough to buy the 3rd edition at the big price or I better go for an old copy found on Ebay at cheapest cost?

Is it a better move to buy the 3rd Edition (MMP) and why?

BV3 has a couple of minor improvements. Most notably, it includes more maps (10 total). The original BV assumed players already owned Squad Leader and the boards that came with it (#1-15, though #1-4 are the really important ones). BV3 includes #1-5 and 8 along with #20-23 that all editions have. So if you buy the original edition, you'll want to buy boards 1-4 also - that could cost anywhere from $0-15 depending on where you look and who you know. However, the new edition's boards are the new "SK-style" boards printed on cardstock rather than mounted. This is a good or a bad thing depending on who you talk to. For a new player, I'd suggest that's not worth worrying about.

BV3 also has more scenarios than the original. There are some good scenarios in the extras, especially if the East Front is of particular interest to you.

Finally, BV3's counter quality is rather nicer than the original. Thicker stock, larger type, little bit better feel. Considering that copies of the original BV would be around 10-20 years old, some of this is just a matter of age and preservation.

Is it worth it? If an extra $30 is not a major financial concern, I'd get BV3 - try gamersarmory.com for a good price. If you're on a budget and just want to play ASL as cheaply as possible, the original works fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Moody
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes...and to add to something mentioned...I had a shrinkwrapped copy of the original and found the countersheets to be warped...20 year-old shrinkwrap is no guarantee against moisture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernst Knauth
Germany
Erdmannhausen
BW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
barkmann wrote:

The AH 1st edition has 12 countersheets.
The MMP 3rd edition has 13 and a half countersheets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go with the 3rd edition simply for the nicer counters. Better cut, much less burr.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Vater
Germany
Cologne
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
louis-david

i'd strongly recommend getting the 3rd ed.,

it's quite a bang for the buck and the quality

of components is really good.

when i had to decide whether buying it or not,

the fact that MMP will switch future production

of mapboards to the 'unmounted' sort had quite

an influence : i couldn't grew fond of the idea

of having to use new and old style maps together.

so, if you can imagine staying with ASL and buying

any of the future modules, you should consider this

before getting any of the old mapboards.

jan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aren't you guys forgetting that the 2nd edition of BV comes with Red Barricades included. As I understand it that version goes for a very pretty penny on eBay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slyvanian Frog
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would (and did) spend the extra money to get the 3rd edition, if for nothing else than having Finns in a different color than the Germans. The 3rd edition makes this differentiation (different colored counters). The 1st edition did not. I also assume (though do not know for sure) that the 2nd edition did not.

The 2nd edition did contain Red Barricades, but I would make sure it is there before I bought it for that reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:
Aren't you guys forgetting that the 2nd edition of BV comes with Red Barricades included. As I understand it that version goes for a very pretty penny on eBay.

I'm assuming that since the OP is talking about value for the dollar that the 2nd edition is not under consideration. Even considering the inclusion of Red Barricades, the 2nd edition's collector's value is quite high. You would probably do better to buy RB and BV separately than to shell out for the 2nd edition, assuming you could even find one in good condition.

Warbear wrote:
The AH 1st edition has 12 countersheets.
The MMP 3rd edition has 13 and a half countersheets.

Good point. The extra countersheets consist of the counters for Chapter E (Night, Air Support, etc.), which are also included in Yanks. If the OP is planning on buying Yanks anyway (which is highly likely, unless he's such an East Front fanatic that he doesn't even need the Americans), then those counters aren't going to matter.

3rd Edition is still the way to go, IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis-David Plourde
Canada
Terrebonne
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Todd and all of you guys!

I appreciate your responses to my questions. It clarifies many of my thoughts. You all suggest me to buy BV3. It seems clear for me now to go with the family! and buy BV3.

I know that MMP Second Edition of BV contains Red Barricade but now it is out of print and sells at 200$ US on Ebay... so it is also, out of consideration! If one day, I want to get my hands on Red Barricade I'll go with the original(AH).

Another interesting point is that the Finns are in a different color in BV3. And BV3 contains counters for Chapter E. This is all good points!

Thank you guys for your help

Louis-David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Nott
United States
Warrensburg
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
Anyone know the cheapest place to get a copy of BV3?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Moody
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It seems to me that MMP games are prone to being OOS at most online sellers.

Therefore, the lesser known ones are often a good place to look.

I recommend Bunker Hill Games (www.bunkerhillgames.com). For small (one or two games) orders he's hard to beat on price if you include shipping...he charges exact shipping and it's usually very low.

As of 6/25/07 he has two in stock for about $2 more than Boulder Games, but you'll end up paying a lot less after shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merv D
United States
Unspecified
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Lagduf wrote:

Check out The Gamer's Armory (www.gamersarmory.com)
Probably not the cheapest, but it was the only place that had ASLSK#2 a month ago when I had to have it. I also got ASLSK3 and BV there.
Good service too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Con Man wrote:

Check out The Gamer's Armory (www.gamersarmory.com)
Probably not the cheapest...

Actually, I think it is the cheapest - even cheaper than the cut-rate eBay'ers, and certainly with far better service. The Armory can't be beat for service, selection, or price on in-print ASL gear IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Allton
United States
Lewis Center
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question,
I enjoy ATS because of the tank rules. I enjoy Band of Heroes for the "personal" aspect of the game. As usual, every game has plusses and minusses to them.
I am interested in ASL because of the flexibility not found in these other games. Neither of the other two can be set up for a DYO scenario like ASL (and SL) can be. I have never played ASL though, and I was wondering if it would be okay to buy a relatively inexpensive first edition rule book on ebay rather than donating blood to try to buy the second edition rulebook found on MMPs website.
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Kirk Allton wrote:
I was wondering if it would be okay to buy a relatively inexpensive first edition rule book on ebay...

Sure! A 1st edition rulebook will work fine. There's some more discussion about this here:

1987 and 89 Upgrades to ASL 1st Edition...?
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/283656

However, if you simply want to "try out" ASL, the ASL Starter Kit #1 – a complete game for about $20 – is hard to beat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nappy wrote:
I have never played ASL though, and I was wondering if it would be okay to buy a relatively inexpensive first edition rule book on ebay rather than donating blood to try to buy the second edition rulebook found on MMPs website.
Thanks.

Id buy a new copy of starter kit #1 and go to town like Jay said

http://www.gamersarmory.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Allton
United States
Lewis Center
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info! I was reading Jay's post and he summed it up best...1st edition works fine unless you are competitive gaming. Most of my games would be solitaire, so if I can get the rules for 20 dollars, it may work well. I have all four of the original SL games, but they were given to me for free by a friend and all are a little musty smelling (which drives me nuts!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up BV1 for these reasons:

1) I own SL and have the other mapboards (#1-4)

2) BV1 can be had on ebay for a fraction of the cost of BV3. I picked my copy of BV1 for US$15. BV3 is US$75. The difference in costs can go towards a set of rules for example...

I can live with 'not so nice' counters and lesser scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knut Krummnacker
Germany
Kürten
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
barkmann wrote:

The Finnish counters in 2nd and 3rd edition are now gray instead of blue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.