Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone tried a variant where, if you die, your hero becomes a Zombie and you continue to control him but now your goal is to kill the remaining survivors? I haven't flushed this idea out at all yet, not even sure if it would work. But before spending time on it I figured I'd see if anyone else has put in the work yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Why aren't you at your post?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was an element added in modern Zombicide season 2 (Prison Break/Toxic City Mall) except they retained their "wits" and did not try to kill the survivors. The idea helped improve some complaints about the game and survivors being removed from the game too early, but it was largely considered disappointingly implemented.

Zombicide: Black Plague addressed this early on by giving heroes an actual health tracker and armor.

Personally, I hope that this doesn't get included as it felt out of place in the modern game. Also, the game is so swingy with low health and high damage that it may be too easy to either force a loss or kill the zombivor.

If your goal is to give someone something to do, have them handle spawning zombies and moving the horde.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rraahk wrote:
This was an element added in modern Zombicide season 2 (Prison Break/Toxic City Mall) except they retained their "wits" and did not try to kill the survivors. The idea helped improve some complaints about the game and survivors being removed from the game too early, but it was largely considered disappointingly implemented.

Zombicide: Black Plague addressed this early on by giving heroes an actual health tracker and armor.

Personally, I hope that this doesn't get included as it felt out of place in the modern game. Also, the game is so swingy with low health and high damage that it may be too easy to either force a loss or kill the zombivor.

If your goal is to give someone something to do, have them handle spawning zombies and moving the horde.

I wouldn't want to become the overlord. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies as well as Marvel Zombies both had zombies which retained their wits (at least some did). Also we don't know that bitten survivors become zombies (or if they have to be raised by Necromancers). Yes one mission has us finding zombies when we were looking for survivors but maybe they were raised by a necro. Either that or the process of raising takes a LONG time (like 10 missions worth of time) since there are no rules for dead survivors become zombies within the context of the game.

I do think it's the greatest sin of a game designer to have a player just sitting there for maybe hours when he or she is there to play a game. I would just bring in another survivor right there on the spot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Timmermans
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keeping a survivor in the game even though he died/sustained too many wounds would defeat the purpose of death and wounds altogether. Bringing a new survivor in the game would be utterly useless, because he would either start in the blue danger level and be of little use on a board that has the other survivors in orange or even red, or he'd start in the lowest danger level of the other survivors, which would again negate the wounds/death mechanic.

Here's a houserule we implemented for ZBP: those who die, are in charge of beverages, snacks and zombiemovement and spawns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought about this some more. You could conceivably have the character lose an action because of his more slow metabolism now he's a zombie. There are zombie movies where zombies have intelligence like I said but there're also zombie movies (Warm Bodies comes to mind) where the zombies actually have pretty much the original personality and were even eventually able to come back to being a normal human again.

Maybe after you become a zombie and lose this action, then for every necromancer or abomination you kill after that point (you personally as a character), you get one point. Maybe after three points you turn back into a regular person?

After all, as people have reminded me, we don't know what the rules are for this particular zombie universe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Slade
msg tools
mbmb
Heroes becoming zombies is kind of cool. Although their zombie lifespan would likely be short as the other heroes kill them. Although if they stay on the heroes team but say only get 1 action or something that could work.

I usually try to give each player a couple of heroes just in case they lose one early one. You can also have an extra survivor appear in the first couple of turns if something goes badly wrong but towards the end of the game a new survivor wouldn't have the skill or equipment to survive for long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vladvonbounce wrote:
Heroes becoming zombies is kind of cool. Although their zombie lifespan would likely be short as the other heroes kill them.

Well, my thought was that they'd have Abomination stats but be more intelligent than your average zombie (ie they could make intelligent movement choices rather than just blindly running in to attack the nearest or loudest survivors).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.